Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLOW - on Netflix starring Allison Brie

I just finished watching this and I had a blast. Its a good and well told underdog story. Its also insanely funny. Almost everything Sam said made me laugh.

What really made this work for me was the interesting mix of woman bonding to make GLOW work.  It looked like most of them where struggling to find something to do with their lives and just lucked out into this. Once they got into they did everything they could to make it happen. Shelia's birthday party was sweet, as was figuring out her age in wolf years.

If Alison Brie spoke to me in her Russian accent, I would instantly hate materialistic ways of the decadent West.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Surprised noone who watched the documentary didn't mention that it seems clear the writers of GLOW got a lot of the inspiration from the script from it.  Really enjoyable series.  I do hope they do more, as the real GLOW did go for several seasons.  I'm sure there's plenty more to mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

Wish Salty The Sack stuck around longer. Johnny Mundo is an incredible talent and a half-decent actor.

First, I can't believe I didn't notice that was Awesome Kong, and I'm with you as to who would of thought that she could actually act.

I was also surprised to see Mundo disappear so fast, as he definitely seems like the right guy to break over into some light but real acting.  I'm curious if he maybe just had scheduling conflicts, because while I don't follow the indies much, I assume he's probably keeping pretty busy as an indie wrestler.  It'd be easy to assume he should cancel everything to keep a great acting gig (if the schedule thing is the reason), but he strikes me as someone that really loves wrestling though, and would choose a great wrestling gig over a great acting gig.

Of course, I'm probably way overthinking it, and he was probably just a dick on the set.  Or maybe Melania showed up to piss everyone off, because that would have been the more likely if this was maybe 8 years ago.  Just thinking about all this reminds me how much I miss when WWE was actually decent and worth hoping for good storylines over.

Really liked the show as well, especially how human it all seemed, but way too much 80s for anyone else here in the house.

Or maybe that was the extent of the role?  Having a man be the one coaching them would remove a lot of the empowerment they developed early on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Or maybe that was the extent of the role?  Having a man be the one coaching them would remove a lot of the empowerment they developed early on.

Yeah this makes more sense.

It's also accurate to the real GLOW, where (per Wikipedia) they had a dude coach for a couple of days, and then he got let go and they brought a stuntwoman in.

It feels jarring in the show because it happens off-screen between episodes. I think they did need a scene where he quit because he got a better offer somewhere, or he says or does something that makes him have to be fired.

Morrison/Mundo should have got the Steel Horse role over Alex Riley because . . . well, Jesus Christ he's one good looking man.

I'm late to the party, but I just started Season 1 of Orange is the New Black because of GLOW. Enjoying it quite a bit so far.

I watched the first season of OitNB, and found it so-so.  It was periodically funny, but I didn't feel like continuing into subsequent seasons.  I did binge through GLOW this weekend, and enjoyed it quite a bit more.  It was the first Netflix series in some time that I managed to complete (stalled mid-season on Narcos S1 and Luke Cage S1).  Funny, well acted, and with a fantastic score.

AIf season one of Orange is the New Black didn't do it for you, then I wouldn't recommend going further and investing in it.

It's an okay show, but I maintain that the first two seasons were the best. After that, it drops right into the aimlessness that's standard for Jenji Kohan shows. It didn't pick back up for me until the most recent fifth season, and I think the show should call it a day with the sixth.

The second season of OITNB is the best, but I liked this past season as well. Agreed it's getting a bit long in the tooth, though.

As for this, it's the rare season of Netflix TV that doesn't go on too long. That alone makes it one of the best seasons they've ever produced.

AJust finished. Loved it and was impressed with how much knowledge of real wrestling made it into the show (like the twist at the end and then the OTHER twist nobody saw coming including Liberty Belle). It was also interesting to see how (just like in actual wrestling) a character can be bent in several different directions. Just look at Welfare Queen, Fortune Cookie, and Liberty Belle.

I'm happy they didn't use actual characters from the real GLOW. Great decision although some of the characters are clear homages to the real GLOW.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

it's so nice of the netflick to make the GLOW documentary available for streaming as well!

Hmm, I'll have to double check that.  Google doesn't say Netflix has it, only Amazon Video and of course it was paid content. I watched the docu awhile back when I first saw it and loved it.

I believe I am halfway through the show and my only gripe is that they apparently didn't get license to portray actual people as the characters are mostly fictional representations of the real ladies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

The second season of OITNB is the best, but I liked this past season as well. Agreed it's getting a bit long in the tooth, though.

Those first two seasons were a pretty well-written indictment of the prison system and the mismanagement of mental health in the US. Piper comes into the prison system and is terrified, but through intriguing backstories, we learn more about the inmates and they become sympathetic rather than the monsters our justice system often makes them out to be.

Then, just like Weeds, the show forsakes its interesting initial premise and goes into a million different directions, and none of them all that interesting. It ran out of things to say quickly, and even those flashbacks - which was one of the best and most affecting parts of the show - have become pointless filler.

Jenji Kohan should write and develop features instead of TV shows. Her shows just don't have the attention span to go on for years.

Finished this last night.  I hope it is a one and done.  I am no creative but the only drama I see to be mined in future seasons is a skeevier side of people taking advantage of the girls. Maybe they, uh, wrestle with the show being a big hit as the girls travel around doing live tapings but I don't know.  This was a good encapsulation.

Agreed. The show was pretty succinct in execution* and this isn't something that needs to be dragged out over five or six years. But this has Jenji Kohan and Carly Mensch's hands on it, so buckle in for seven season.

*For example, I thought for sure the pregnancy subplot was going to be dragged on forever and would be a significant part of some finale cliff-hanger. I was pleasantly surprised when it was wrapped up within a couple of episodes.

womb goof

AA season where focusing on the wrestling and another on the downfall is probably as far as they can stretch it.

Weirdly Beirut's shock at how much those chumps hated her has really stuck with me. Would be a fucked up way to send off a character.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson View Post

Weirdly Beirut's shock at how much those chumps hated her has really stuck with me. Would be a fucked up way to send off a character.

I expected her to all of a sudden get pumped up about how much she sold her character but the show never did that "cliche" response.  It managed to avoid many of my expectations of tropish storylines.

Speaking of, did anyone call the reveal in the bedroom of the charity party because I did not see that coming AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

Finished this last night.  I hope it is a one and done.  I am no creative but the only drama I see to be mined in future seasons is a skeevier side of people taking advantage of the girls. Maybe they, uh, wrestle with the show being a big hit as the girls travel around doing live tapings but I don't know.  This was a good encapsulation.

I too don't think this series needs another season. I would assume the second season would focus on all the challengers the GLOW crew would face keeping the show going. Of course Ruth and Debbie repairing their friendship would be a subplot. The show could also have Arthie develop a new character after the crowd reaction to Beirut. It would be tough to make that as entertaining as getting GLOW off the ground, seeing the women grow to love wrestling, and making the first show a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm 

I expected her to all of a sudden get pumped up about how much she sold her character but the show never did that "cliche" response.  It managed to avoid many of my expectations of tropish storylines.

Speaking of, did anyone call the reveal in the bedroom of the charity party because I did not see that coming AT ALL.

I sure as Hell didn't see it coming.  I did like that Sam  getting paternal as soon as he found out she had a boyfriend.

I've had Pat Benatar's Invincible stuck in my head for a week because of this show; not that I'm complaining.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

Hmm, I'll have to double check that.  Google doesn't say Netflix has it, only Amazon Video and of course it was paid content. I watched the docu awhile back when I first saw it and loved it.

I believe I am halfway through the show and my only gripe is that they apparently didn't get license to portray actual people as the characters are mostly fictional representations of the real ladies.

On the one hand, it sucks we don't see portrayals of the real ladies because...

1.  They may get a little money from licensing their characters.

2.  There are some awesome characters in that roster from the documentary.

But on the other hand it's great because you have some unpredictability with the story while telling the broader true story of the organization.   My guess is that the producers (if they get a season 2) might split the difference and try to get licenses to some of the better known characters like Matilda the Hun and Mountain Fiji.   The other seem well represented in fictional form on the show.

AI think Machu Pichu is supposed to the fictional version of Mt. Fiji.

Having someone play Mt. Fiji would be a bit redundant.

I'm enjoying it. I'm also halfway through the season. I love Alison Brie, but her character is hard to like, but I guess that's the point. The girl playing Machu Pichu has been my favorite so far. But yeah, I could see one season and done...I believe the season ends with the first TV taping...I guess you could do a season 2 based on how the TV tapings are going for the first season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Moxon View Post

First, I can't believe I didn't notice that was Awesome Kong, and I'm with you as to who would of thought that she could actually act.

Yeah, no shit. I was reading the trivia on it, and was like, that was Awesome Kong? No wonder she looked familiar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I've had Pat Benatar's Invincible stuck in my head for a week because of this show; not that I'm complaining.

Number of times I've listened to Scandal's "The Warrior" on repeat today: 17.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamotv View Post

But on the other hand it's great because you have some unpredictability with the story while telling the broader true story of the organization.   My guess is that the producers (if they get a season 2) might split the difference and try to get licenses to some of the better known characters like Matilda the Hun and Mountain Fiji.   The other seem well represented in fictional form on the show.

I learned from the GLOW doc that Matilda once went to the ring dressed as a Nazi. I can see Sam thinking that would be a good idea for a heel. That documentary is really good too. I t was sad to see Mountain Fiji is such bad health.

A[quote name="Jonathan Moxon" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie/60#post_4316547"]

I was also surprised to see Mundo disappear so fast, as he definitely seems like the right guy to break over into some light but real acting.  I'm curious if he maybe just had scheduling conflicts, because while I don't follow the indies much, I assume he's probably keeping pretty busy as an indie wrestler.  It'd be easy to assume he should cancel everything to keep a great acting gig (if the schedule thing is the reason), but he strikes me as someone that really loves wrestling though, and would choose a great wrestling gig over a great acting gig.

Of course, I'm probably way overthinking it, and he was probably just a dick on the set.  Or maybe Melania showed up to piss everyone off, because that would have been the more likely if this was maybe 8 years ago.  Just thinking about all this reminds me how much I miss when WWE was actually decent and worth hoping for good storylines over.

Really liked the show as well, especially how human it all seemed, but way too much 80s for anyone else here in the house.
[/quote]

Johnny Mundo has an actual contract with lucha underground. He doesn't get to just drop everything for a role. He contracted with them. He's also their world champion in their current season which was filmed months ago.
A[quote name="TzuDohNihm" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie/60#post_4317709"]

[/quote] it's on Netflix. I watched it after I watched the first season.

Shockingly good show, my only bitch is that the season ended just as the show found it's stride.

Super impressed with Maron, though burned out cynic isn't too huge a stretch for the guy.

-The Dexter Morgan of Assholes
AThe first two episodes were completely amazing. And in my opinion, it dropped the ball in ep 3 which was just boring. There were some good to great individual scenes throughout the rest, the actors were great, Maron as himself was brilliant, but I found the season uneven. A lot of times the episodes felt very clunky: "here's the one thing we need" -> "oops, trouble" -> "let's solve it" -> "there you go", clickety-clack-plot point-turn. Which is a shame because of the handful of moments when it was the most charming thing I've seen this year.

I thought it was the most consistently paced comedy Netflix has made yet. 10 episodes should be the new limit, it didn't outstay it's welcome and left me wanting more. This could be Maron's defining role but all the characters were very well drawn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post
 "here's the one thing we need" -> "oops, trouble" -> "let's solve it" -> "there you go"

Are you sure you're not talking about Saving Private Ryan?

Dang, I finished this last night and want more now.  It breezes by and really has you rooting for and loving every single character.

Even the male actors like Russian motel owner and pizza guy come across as likable.

"I make with woman...sometimes."

Marathoned the whole season yesterday afternoon and early evening. Great stuff, and I have to continue the accolades for Maron. He's got so many hilarious lines. "Her hair is brown! The color of shit!" and "I don't like your face, I don't like your ass." Brie is great, even if her character is hard to like at time, and Machu Pichu is wonderful. All the girls except for the two who play the old ladies I like. Maybe it's because those two don't really get many moments to shine, but their bit playing KKK members who get the shit beat out of them by the black girls was their one big moment. I got a kick out of the Russian motel owner and all his funny lines.

I could see the show going another season or two, but like others have said, it's hard to stretch it further. Still, when they put out the next season, I'll watch it a lot sooner than I did with season one.