Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLOW - on Netflix starring Allison Brie

This is the best show of the summer for me, and while I want a second season, I love how self-contained this one is. You hear a lot about "it's not a tv show, it's a long movie," and that's mostly bullshit, but this is one case where it's apt - the show really does play like a five-hour movie.

It's also kind of appropriate that this is coming out around the time of all the LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN retrospective, because that movie's DNA is all throughout this show.

And it's the most I've ever liked Marc Maron in anything, including the whole of WTF.

Finally - Marbel Cinnamon is probably kicking themselves for going with Alison Brie over Betty Gilpin for Captain Marvel. Brie's got the status, but Gilpin looks like she stepped right off the comic page.

They'd be nuts not to cast her in something going forward or Wonder Woman 2.

home taping is killing music
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Finally - Marbel Cinnamon is probably kicking themselves for going with Alison Brie over Betty Gilpin for Captain Marvel.

Probably not...considering they cast Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Probably not...considering they cast Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.

Brie Larson, Alison Brie, it's all the same.

Brie Larson has the prestige and is blonde. Betty Gilpin looks like Carol Danvers.

But this is for another thread.

home taping is killing music
A[quote name="Boone Daniels" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie/90#post_4323597"]
Brie Larson, Alison Brie, it's all the same.
[/quote]

Sir, I request that you retract that slanderous statement against Ms. Allison.

[Image: 400]

Quote:Betty Gilpin looks like Carol Danvers.

Well, a truer statement hasn't been said. I will withdraw my glove, sir.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

ALMOST done. Finished ep 9 last night--going camping this weekend so I will try to finish Sunday night after we get back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

Have I said that Dave Franco can go to hell? Because Dave Franco can go to hell.

Didn't think I'd like this as I have zero interest in wrestling and I figured it was designed primarily for a female audience, but ended up watching five episodes in a row. I've listened to a few of Marc Maron's podcasts but never realized he was an actor, but he's definitely one of the best things about the show.

Really odd to not only discover that Kate Nash is in this, but that she also has nude scenes.

ASecond season announced. Mistake in my opinion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...ix-1023068

Season 2 confirmed.

https://twitter.com/GlowNetflix/status/8...7276930048

AMWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wouldn't mind spending more time with these characters.

Me too. Season one did play out more like a long movie and seeing this motley crew succeed seemed like the logical ending. Obviously a second season will be about keeping GLOW going. Do Ruth and Debbie become friends again? Does Arthie stick with the Beruit character? How does Sam deal with being a father? etc etc

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

The first two episodes were completely amazing. And in my opinion, it dropped the ball in ep 3 which was just boring. There were some good to great individual scenes throughout the rest, the actors were great, Maron as himself was brilliant, but I found the season uneven. A lot of times the episodes felt very clunky: "here's the one thing we need" -> "oops, trouble" -> "let's solve it" -> "there you go", clickety-clack-plot point-turn. Which is a shame because of the handful of moments when it was the most charming thing I've seen this year.

Guess you're not a fan of Silicon Valley then lol.

Season 1 was great, the best-paced show Netflix ever produced, in part because I ended up caring about damn near all of the characters. If there's a concern, it's that Netflix might extend the episode order and things will get all wander-y like they do with their other shows, but that first season was so good that I'm happy to have more.
AMy wife and I started it Saturday and just finished it. We adored every second of it. What a great summer surprise. And it really nailed the 80s unlike Stranger Things.

I honestly think this is one of the best original shows Netflix has ever produced. If they can replicate that magic next season, I'll be more than happy.

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie/120#post_4341584"]I honestly think this is one of the best original shows Netflix has ever produced. If they can replicate that magic next season, I'll be more than happy.
[/quote]

Yup. It's my favorite from Netflix. It had a bad news bears vibe throughout. Really loved this series. I want more...now!

What surprised me most was that I went into the show expecting Alison Brie to be the standout and, as good as she is (and she's VERY good), Betty Gilpin was the one who impressed me most. Gilpin is really great at conveying emotions through facial expressions and there's one moment in a late episode where she says something to Alison Brie along the lines of "I thought we'd always be friends and you took that away from me", and the heartbroken expression on her face just ripped me open. It's a really great layered performance. 

A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/159440/glow-season-1-on-netflix-starring-allison-brie/120#post_4341632"]What surprised me most was that I went into the show expecting Alison Brie to be the standout and, as good as she is (and she's VERY good), Betty Gilpin was the one who impressed me most. Gilpin is really great at conveying emotions through facial expressions and there's one moment in a late episode where she says something to Alison Brie along the lines of "I thought we'd always be friends and you took that away from me", and the heartbroken expression on her face just ripped me open. It's a really great layered performance. 
[/quote]

Easily. Really the whole cast was great and besides Brie and MM I never heard of any of them. I loved Bash. I expected him to be a sleezy character and he was anything but.

So not quite through the series - I think we watched Episode 8 last night.  Going to go along with what everyone has said in that its definitely a high quality show. Came to it mostly for Alison Brie, amazed how little she looks like herself, I don't think it's just being toned but also appears almost gaunt. Not sure if they did it with makeup, but after 8 episodes I still can't get used to it. Impressed with how over the 8 episodes she took a character that is rather unappealing in many ways and turned her charming and even sympathetic.  Kudos also to Gilpin who is sort of an unsung hero on the show as her role isn't quite as flashy, but the character growth is probably the best. Like how most of the other characters get some time as the focus, and everyone is appealing. This is the first thing I've really seen with Marc Maron, but he is pretty great in the role as well.

What I don't get is the whole "I hope they should only do one season" idea. The plot of the show is actually not all that original - "underdogs making an unlikely success"  - but the main reason it works as well as it does are the characters.  I think there's plenty left to be mined here and if you have interesting characters I think you could go for a few more seasons. Hopefully they keep it tight leaving it to only 10 episodes. One thing I like about the current television concept is the shorter seasons that allow for leaner story telling. (Except the Marvel Defenders series that still seems to need a bunch of filler.)

A teaser for season 2

That was more just a reminder than a teaser, but yay for season 2 anyway.

Alison Brie confirmed there would be a season 2 when she was the cover story for a health magazine.

Even just hearing the intro for Cum On Feel The Noize is enough to get me pumped.

Can't wait!

I'm so up for more GLOW, it's unbelievable.

When the fuck is season 1 going to hit Bluray?!?

patience is 'FACT!', CT!

looking forward to this coming back!

it might be the only netflick series in recent memory that I watched through!
Can't wait!

I also look forward to Avian's nuanced take on this show.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I was so happy to see that trailer pop up in my Facebook feed.
I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I hear it has ridiculous amounts of plot.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
season 1?

I don't recall feeling anything like that
(04-19-2018, 05:22 PM)Nooj Wrote: season 1?

I don't recall feeling anything like that

Really?  Rumor has it that Brie's plots make their long-awaited appearance, and I know from the infamous Nurse Jackie gifs that Gilpin is always down for plot-heavy scenes.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I guess I don't know what you mean by 'ridiculous amounts of plot'
Well nooj sometimes men enjoy certain things.....
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina