Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oats Studios - Neill Blomkamp & Co.

I discovered these short films from a new studio named OATS, perhaps sections of a bigger story, perhaps not. Directed by Neill Blomkamp and others, each segment features excellent camera work and great practical effects, along with superior CGI work. All are about a half hour long and maybe not suitable for work with bloody images and war-violence. These are really well done~

One story Firebase takes place during the Vietnam war with soldiers encountering a supernatural resistance.

Zygote is a something is loose in the lab tale.

another is called Rakka and tells about alien conquerors

GOD -Serengeti . Lounging by the fireplace with a good book, with his butler, and a miniature table top world to fuck with

If you follow YouTube links on those pages you'll also find a few 'Cooking With Bill' installments,a home shopping program featuring various kitchen electronics gone wrong. These are slightly comical / weird and really don't fit into the quality/un-reality of the other shorts. Similar ideas were done better decades ago by Dan Aykroyd on SNL.

Great channel and I always look forward to every new video that they add. Few notes to add to the videos above: Firebase is a bit creepy and I think they actually hint that it's more of a cosmic error than something supernatural behind what's going on. Zygote is pretty good and this has some real "The Thing" vibes going on. Rakka looks great and has some real body horror going on. I would love to see Firebase and Rakka expanded into full movies. God: Serengeti is funny. Mainly it's just god being a dick. I wouldn't mind learning more about the butler like where he came from and what he has to deal with all day working for god.

Nice having all these in one spot, thanks.

A[quote name="donde" url="/community/t/159486/oats-studios-neill-blomkamp-co#post_4325108"]Firebase is a bit creepy and I think they actually hint that it's more of a cosmic error than something supernatural behind what's going on. I would love to see Firebase and Rakka expanded into full movies.[/quote]

Firebase definitely. Of the three (didn't like God) Firebase didn't make the most immediate impression that Rakka and Zygote did, but it's been the one that I come back to the most. It's that interesting sudden hard turn into scifi just moments before ending. They all end at just the right time, but damn, I really wanted to see homie's Reality Reinforcement gear in action against the Hamurai.

I don't know why this is so compelling, but I enjoyed this more than I did entire 2 hour movies like Justice League.

SPOILER!!!

And the music at the end just made me burst out laughing.  Not because it's stupid, but because it's such an amazing song, but so fucking random.

Those mad geniuses at Oats are fucking wild.

And holy crap do I need this in my life... please make a TV show out of it.

AThat Bad President seems very Metal Wolf Chaos, only without the President also having a mech.

So Blomkamp just tweeted Oat's first feature film will be....

That's obviously FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR.

If you haven't seen the original, you done bad.

I'm excited to see what Oats can do with that pretty amazing property.  The Henson Company was already reported to be producing, with Joe Henderson (Lucifer) writing a script.  I think Blomkamp's biggest weakness is his scripts, so it will be good for him to direct something he didn't write, assuming he's directing this.

Finally getting around to seeing this (I’ve only had a year). Zygote convinced me Blomkamp would be a good fit for a Dead Space movie.
(07-11-2018, 11:09 PM)shaunh Wrote: Finally getting around to seeing this (I’ve only had a year). Zygote convinced me Blomkamp would be a good fit for a Dead Space movie.

I'd just like a Zygote movie ...
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Firebase . . . that's the movie I want.