Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Roleplaying?

It's been a LONG time since I did any kind of roleplaying, and I've been looking to get back into.... well, something. Part of this is probably due to a multiplayer game I've been participating in for the last few months which mimics the combat aspect of tabletop gaming, and I've been fortunate to fall in with a group who like to roleplay whilst taking their turns.

I used to participate in online roleplaying via communal fiction (i.e everyone writing for a specific character whilst the GM writes for NPCs) but that side of things appears to have died on the internet. 

Does anyone around here have any recommendations for sites or products which might help get me involved with online roleplaying of some sort? I've heard about Roll20 but am unfamiliar with it, and stumbled across something on Steam called Fantasy Grounds but, again, know really nothing about it, or how easy it is to find a solid group. 
A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/159487/online-roleplaying#post_4324550"]It's been a LONG time since I did any kind of roleplaying, and I've been looking to get back into.... well, something. Part of this is probably due to a multiplayer game I've been participating in for the last few months which mimics the combat aspect of tabletop gaming, and I've been fortunate to fall in with a group who like to roleplay whilst taking their turns.

I used to participate in online roleplaying via communal fiction (i.e everyone writing for a specific character whilst the GM writes for NPCs) but that side of things appears to have died on the internet. 

Does anyone around here have any recommendations for sites or products which might help get me involved with online roleplaying of some sort? I've heard about Roll20 but am unfamiliar with it, and stumbled across something on Steam called Fantasy Grounds but, again, know really nothing about it, or how easy it is to find a solid group. 
[/quote]

Google Plus is your friend. Most online RPGers I know use it to find players and share ideas. What settings/games are you interested in playing? I can post links to groups focused on them.

Ha. I hadn't even considered Google Plus but I've already found one group that might be useful. Good suggestion, Bendrix.

I'm not really even sure what I want. I have some old AD&D books at home but I'm open to anything really, even freeform stuff.

My group uses Roll20, and it's pretty robust and updated constantly. In fact, Ants is planning on a new adventure in a couple of weeks once he gets it all sorted out. Maybe you can join us!

Thanks for the offer but I'd be too worried about messing up your session (and us being in different time zones might be an issue). I'll keep digging around and see what I can find!

<sniffles, kicks dirt with the toe of his sneakers> "Um, ok then." <turns around, runs back into house, closes the screen door>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

<sniffles, kicks dirt with the toe of his sneakers> "Um, ok then." <turns around, runs back into house, closes the screen door>

I'd join you, depending on the system you guys play.

I think we use Pathfinder, but I'm not positive. I'll check.

We're a friendly bunch, and not too anal about it at all.

Is this the sexy kind or role play?  I know that according to Jacob, there's not much butt stuff, which is fine with me.  Do I need a webcam for this?

I would love to try this out, I've been playing face to face RPGs for decades......

I've done a few Roll20 sessions.  If you're okay with the first few mintues of your session being "Can you hear me?"/"Wait, I have no sound."/"My video isn't working," it's a great platform.

(11-23-2017, 07:59 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I've done a few Roll20 sessions.  If you're okay with the first few mintues of your session being "Can you hear me?"/"Wait, I have no sound."/"My video isn't working," it's a great platform.
Yup. Did a few sessions during the Plague Year with some friends who'd invited my brother and I to a short campaign before, and it worked quite nicely. They just dragooned us into a Star Wars 5th Edition game they're running this weekend, too. Hopefully I don't have to pretend to know anything about the EU.
I'll be getting a new laptop soon, and have been hemming and hawing about Roll20 vs Fantasy Grounds. Only now virtual tabletops seem to be popping up like white supremacists after January 20, 2017.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Everyone I know that uses Roll20 raves about it.

Roll20 works pretty great. We've had some issues with the sound so we typically use Discord for that.