Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bohemian Rhapsody: The Freddie Mercury/Queen bio pic pre-release
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holistic View Post

Singer is done.

Another one bites the dust.

If they have to bring in someone to finish the film, my choice is Cameron Crowe. However as someone who wrote for Rolling Stone in the 70's there is a chance he can't stand Queen. Critics used to hate them.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

It'll never happen, but they should let Edgar Wright re-shoot the whole damn thing.

I would only want Wright's energy if he was allowed to do the sexually-charged, warts-and-all take.

Wright would be my choice if a movie adaptation of the jukebox musical We Will Rock You was going to be made. Here is a taste.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Looks like this is now opening on November 2nd, the old slot for X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX (which got pushed to the highly lucrative February 2019 time period...)
Some on set pictures. The actor playing May looks the part.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/...ar-AAwoU9T
Teaser Trailer

Certainly looks like Singer's most stylish work. Of course, that may be due to Dexter Fletcher. We may never know!

Preview certainly went out of its way to not mention Singer.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
That looks like Bio-Pic: The Movie, but when the subject is that compelling and the music that good, I'm okay with it.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Queen has a lot of pull. Got us to watch Suicide Squad didn't it?
Jesus, the guy playing Brian May isn't just a dead ringer for the man, he even sounds exactly like him.
Boy, that sure shoved a lot of Queen songs into 1.5 minutes. Still, hyped for Malek and it certainly looks stylish, if a bit paint-by-numbers.
There's apparently already backlash going on about this but I don't know why. Apparently it originated on Twitter, which explains why I'm not in the know.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Word on Twitter is the movie doesn't acknowledge Mercury's eventual death from AIDS, and only depicts him dating a woman.

Kind of like how The Imitation Game shied away from showing Turing in a homosexual relationship.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

...seriously?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

For realsies.

One might argue you don't need to get to Mercury's death (Walk the Line is only about a particular time in Cash's life, even though there is closing text on the screen that talks about the rest of his life with June Carter), but to not show him with any men.

I mean, dude was super bisexual.

I actually didn't know he was bi. I thought he was gay/hot for dudes only.

Even so. Not OK.

I didn't see Imitation Game but given how - ahem - royally being gay fucked his life it's super wrong to leave that out.

It's complicated: https://www.advocate.com/hiv-aids/2016/1...r-identity

Quote:Mercury was a curious man, a flamboyant personality long before he was aware of his own same-sex attractions. He developed a relationship with a woman in his youth, Mary Austin, who he would call the love of his life (even while in a long=term relationship with another man) and to whom he left nearly his entire estate and his ashes to secretly distribute. While he was with Austin, Mercury began having sex with other men. When Mercury reportedly told Austin he was bisexual, she said, “No Freddie, you’re gay.”

The authors of Somebody to Love do their best to dissect why Mercury loved other men but put Austin above all others. Perhaps it was gay shame, Mercury’s internalized homophobia echoing society’s belief that gay relationships weren’t “real” relationships. But I kept wondering upon reading, could he really have just been bisexual, in a world that flirted with the notion but didn’t — and still doesn’t — understand bisexual identity, especially in men? In a world where any man who has sex with men is automatically considered gay no matter how much he professes a love of women, could Mercury truly have felt torn between these two sides of himself?

It’s an open question, even for the authors, how Mercury would have identified were he alive today.

And it'll be a shame if the movie sidesteps that ambiguous complexity.

I could be wrong, but I want to say that and his drug use being minimized was a precondition imposed by the surviving members of the band.
Well fuck that shit.

(05-18-2018, 01:13 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I could be wrong, but I want to say that and his drug use being minimized was a precondition imposed by the surviving members of the band.

Every indication is that it is the surviving members of Queen who wanted the film to depict Mercury this way.  And that Cohen disagreeing with that take is what prompted him to leave the production.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
That's too bad. Seems like a huge disservice to the actual person to present him as simpler than real life.

It's also baffling considering Bryan Singer is gay and would, presumably, consider it a point of pride to explore that aspect of Mercury.

Unless we find out Singer leaving the production has to do with creative differences over that depiction. That and, you know, all Singer's sex scandals.

(05-18-2018, 12:35 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Word on Twitter is the movie doesn't acknowledge Mercury's eventual death from AIDS, and only depicts him dating a woman.

Kind of like how The Imitation Game shied away from showing Turing in a homosexual relationship.

I don't know if that's a great comparison. Turing is unquestionably homosexual in the film. Even if they made it all a bit chaste and palatable you aren't going to get confused about his tastes. Whereas if people have more than a passing interest in Freddie Mercury they know that about him and it's then not in the film.
It was just the one time in college!

Oh . . . nevermind.
(05-18-2018, 02:08 PM)muzman Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 12:35 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Word on Twitter is the movie doesn't acknowledge Mercury's eventual death from AIDS, and only depicts him dating a woman.

I don't know if that's a great comparison.  Turing is unquestionably homosexual in the film.  Even if they made it all a bit chaste and palatable you aren't going to get confused about his tastes.  Whereas if people have more than a passing interest in Freddie Mercury they know that about him and it's then not in the film.

Well we haven't actually seen the movie yet. But Imma stick by my comparison for now.

Bart's gone full commodore on us!

Oh no, can't go full commodore!

All right, I'm wrong and have always been wrong.

The problem with Imitation Game is not that it shys away from portraying Turing as gay.

The problem is that it suggests that Turing was so afraid of being outed that he committed an act which was, in effect, treason during a time of war. Which is something that the real Turing would have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever done.

I cannot express how much "fuck the Imitation Game."
home taping is killing music
(05-18-2018, 01:37 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 01:13 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I could be wrong, but I want to say that and his drug use being minimized was a precondition imposed by the surviving members of the band.

Every indication is that it is the surviving members of Queen who wanted the film to depict Mercury this way.  And that Cohen disagreeing with that take is what prompted him to leave the production.

I had read this, too. And with that FUCK this film. I had gotten a three tape set of a Queen documentary after Mercury had died. Queen: Magic Years. Filmed while Mercury was still alive. Good enough for me. 

That being said, I painted up a Freddie Mercury tribute portrait. Because...I miss him.

Attached Files Image(s)

frankiesmithart.com
INPRNT Shop (for prints)

"I like arguments" 
Prince

(05-18-2018, 03:31 PM)boone daniels Wrote: The problem with Imitation Game is not that it shys away from portraying Turing as gay.

The problem is that it suggests that Turing was so afraid of being outed that he committed an act which was, in effect, treason during a time of war. Which is something that the real Turing would have never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever done.

Yeah, but I can't get too mad at it. In the end my mum felt very sad for a gay man named Turing who was a very important thinker, during the war and after, and was terribly mistreated.
It is a little shocking though to know a bit about a thing and really grasp just how fictionalised these sorts of movies are. I can never quite understand why they do it. I can imagine the writing and plotting and re-drafting rabbit hole that they go down quite easily. Just not the point where they don't stop and try to reel it back in to reality a bit more (see also:... all of them really. A Beautiful Mind is a notable one though)
Sex, drugs and rock and roll! Without, you know, the sex and drugs. I'm of two minds about this. The man was a phenomenal performer. A movie just about his performances could be a very good movie, but it certainly won't be the whole story. But, even if we did get a movie doing the "whole" story, it still would be a Hollywood version of the whole story, which is to say probably so far from the truth, and we wouldn't even know! I'm gonna see this because I'm of the age where Queen shaped part of my soul, but I'm gonna keep it in perspective.
(05-19-2018, 12:58 PM)muzman Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 03:31 PM)boone daniels Wrote: The problem with Imitation Game is not that it shys away from portraying Turing as gay.

Yeah, but I can't get too mad at it. In the end my mum felt very sad for a gay man named Turing who was a very important thinker, during the war and after, and was terribly mistreated.
It is a little shocking though to know a bit about a thing and really grasp just how fictionalised these sorts of movies are. I can never quite understand why they do it. I can imagine the writing and plotting and re-drafting rabbit hole that they go down quite easily. Just not the point where they don't stop and try to reel it back in to reality a bit more (see also:... all of them really. A Beautiful Mind is a notable one though)

Yes, but again, Imitation Game goes far and beyond just "fictionalization" by giving actions, traitorous ones, to a real life person. I think when you get into things like treason, you need to hew very close to the truth.
home taping is killing music