Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bohemian Rhapsody: The Freddie Mercury/Queen bio pic pre-release
True, but I don't think that made much of an impact on the audience generally. It's just another way to illustrate how unnecessary and compromising the social stigma around homosexuality was. That's the only bit they really care about at that moment.
It'd be an interesting experiment though, to see if people truly absorbed that as an event in Turing's life and if they understand it's treasonous (and how that's kind a terrible thing to say about someone you're trying to celebrate for their, y'know, intellectual heroism in the intelligence services).
If it turned out such information did get passed on as truth it could be good in a way. Might make writers stop doing this sort of rubbish and try to find the drama in reality.
I am honestly baffled that a movie about Freddie Mercury could be released in 2018 and it not be a queer movie. If that’s truly the case then the makers of the film are hopelessly out of touch.
If they don't have a scene that depicts the Jazz release party (complete with little people wandering around with bowls of cocaine on their heads), then no sale!
I'm going to see Alice Cooper the week before this comes out; that is going to be quite the 70's glam rock week for me.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
LOL:

http://www.slashfilm.com/bohemian-rhapso...an-singer/
home taping is killing music
Bryan Singer's got some really good lawyers, I guess.
Rolling Stone on the making of the movie.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movi...ic-696188/
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
New trailer:

Much better, and much more convincing in terms of selling Rami Malek as Freddie.
They were promoing this movie a LOT during the pride parade/events in NYC last month, which was...a choice.
Probably a good choice at that.
Given the marketing's insistence at backgrounding perhaps one of the best known-facts about Mercury when LGBT rights are under attack and we have an Vice President that wants to kill gay people...not so much, in my estimation.

Are we supposed to be satisfied that this trailer showed one shot of him maybe, possibly, kissing a dude?
Well that should address some of the concerns people had about the first trailer.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-17-2018, 10:00 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Given the marketing's insistence at backgrounding perhaps one of the best known-facts about Mercury when LGBT rights are under attack and we have an Vice President that wants to kill gay people...not so much, in my estimation.

Are we supposed to be satisfied that this trailer showed one shot of him maybe, possibly, kissing a dude?

I bet the final trailer that we get for this goes into his bisexuality a lot more.

Regardless, while everyone knows about his sexuality, you still need to sell the film to the general masses.  Focusing on the band and the music will get people excited who might have some qualms about seeing a 'gay' movie, and showing glimpses of what's in there in terms of gay content prepares them for what they'll see.  It's plain to see that there'll be a lot of focus on Mary Austin's involvement with him.  Even though he went mainly gay once the 80s his, he still considered her to be the great love of his life and left the bulk of his estate to her.  That relationship will be eye opening to a lot of people not familiar with his story.
To be fair, I am pro the movie emphasizing Mercury's bisexuality. I know you guys hate when I throw around terms like "cis" or "enby," but bierasure is a real thing in media, and if a big movie like this makes sure to underline the fact he was bi, not gay, that's a big step.

Although I will say that it's a double standard worth pointing out that the "glimpses" of gay content we get are miniscule compared to what, say, the trailer for a Dusty Springfield (who was up and coming at the same time as Mercury, and was also bisexual would show).

FTR, based on what you're describing, you don't go "mainly gay" if you're bisexual. You can have relationships with men, but you're bisexual. The fact that Anna Paquin is married and has kids with a man doesn't mean she's gone "mostly straight." She's bisexual.

This has been your daily dose of pedantry.
By 'mainly gay', I meant that his preference became (more or less) exclusive to having male companions.  Whereas he dallied around with both sexes in the 70s, he was almost exclusively 'gay' in the 80s.

I watched the trailer again.  While it looks like they did a fantastic job of recreating the Live Aid performance, I kinda hope that they keep the original live performance for the film.  It has a power to it that really can't be recreated (especially during 'Radio Ga Ga'), and simply using recreated footage over the original performance would be spectacular.  It's legendary for a reason.

Okay, but someone who's bisexual in a relationship with a man isn't in a gay relationship. They're bisexual, but having a relationship with a man.
Oh this is cool.  This is that Marc Martel, the Canadian singer who toured with the Queen Extravaganza and sounds scarily similar to Freddie.  This his him talking about how to sing and sound like Freddie, and he does a really good job at talking about the differences in tones.  From what I understand, he did some vocal work for the movie as well.

I do find it odd that the scene where Freddie meets Rodger and Brian he seems humble. The way May describes it is that Freddie would go to Smile shows and tell them they where fantastic, but they where doing everything wrong.
The trailer for this played in front of MAMMA MIA 2 in IMAX and sold me. Between that and FIRST MAN, which also played, I now believe the only good Imax movies are music movies or ones set in space.
The official trailer in particular seems very far away from what Sacha Baron-Cohen was saying back in the day; that the band were going to steer it away from being Freddie-centric, let's say.
New clip

I did find it odd that the scene makes it look like Freddie produced the track and not Roy Thomas Baker.