Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bohemian Rhapsody: The Freddie Mercury/Queen bio pic pre-release
I have Queen Days of Our Lives on DVD. Its really good, but I was bummed there isn't anything about the recording of the Flash Gordon soundtrack; other than using the theme to open part two.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Kayleigh Donaldson of Pajiba went hard at this movie on Twitter, basically backing up Ryan's assertion that the film amounts to homophobic character assassination.
home taping is killing music
(10-26-2018, 09:57 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Kayleigh Donaldson of Pajiba went hard at this movie on Twitter, basically backing up Ryan's assertion that the film amounts to homophobic character assassination.

I feel like some people are just hating that it showed a more critical side of Freddie's character, I think character assassination seems a bit of a dramatic response. He's just shown as flawed, he's not torn apart or hung out to dry or anything like that. I don't feel like any of it came across homophobic, I think it's pretty well known that he went off the rails with coke, clubs and sex parties in the 80s and that's pretty much the extent of that being referenced in the film.
I'm certainly interested in seeing this film, but the trailers remind me of Oliver Stones's The Doors. That was less a biopic of The Doors as a band, but mostly looking at Jim Morrison and the rock god aura he exuded. Not to say it was a bad film, as Kilmer is brilliant in it, yet for me, it was merely a good film when it could have been a GREAT one.

I also tend to be mixed on biopics when the subjects being portrayed are heavily involved in the production. This hampered Straight Outta Compton for me, as N.W.A's rise and fall is an intriguing one, but Dr. Dre and Ice Cube's involvement made sure to erase all the stuff that would've shown N.W.A in a flawed - and in my view, more dramatically compelling - light. Here's hoping Bohemian Rhapsody's better in this regard.
The Doors is underrated. Kilmer is on fire but that cast is aces: Meg Ryan, Kathleen Quinlan, Kyle MacLachlan, Kevin Dillon, Frank Whaley, and Crispin Glover playing arguably my favorite incarnation of Andy Warhol.

I'm not watching a PG-13 rated, queer-washed movie. Freddie Mercury doesn't deserve this shit. I love Rami Malek but there's no way.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti