Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
THE JOKER starring Joaquin Phoenix (Todd Phillips, 2019)
"The studio has set THE HANGOVER's Todd Phillips to co-write a script with 8 MILE scribe Scott Silver. Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips. This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters. I'm told that the intention is to make an origin story that isn't part of any other iteration. An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL or THE KING OF COMEDY."

https://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joker-o...202154053/
AWell, I think we know which classic rock song they're going to cut the trailer to.
Quote:

The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL or THE KING OF COMEDY."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

The fuck?

Is that to make Jared Leto feel better?

The big question: will it start with Bruce Wayne's parents getting iced?

Mr. Freeze is in this too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

The big question: will it start with Bruce Wayne's parents getting iced?

Second big question: will it end with Joker discovering that his mother is also called Martha?

If this actually sees the light of day I will be very surprised.

WB announcing a ton of DC flicks now but after JL I will suspect there will be a lot less of them going forward. WW2 being the exception because it's the only property that they didn't fuck up so far.

Who knew Martin Scorsese was a fan of the Batman universe!

Cast Leo as the Joker!

While it may confuse the normies, it could be fun to have these one-offs with no connection to the DCEU. Word on the street is Jordan Vogt-Roberts (KONG: SKULL ISLAND) tried to convince Warner Bros. to make a SUPERMAN: RED SON film, and though they didn't greenlight it, it seems as though they're looking for creative folk to pitch them Elseworlds films.

"The normies"?

What the fuck.

AWake me up when they announce the Alfred origin movie..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

Wake me up when they announce the Alfred origin movie..

They already made that, silly!

Oh god they probably are.

ANo no no...the reboot one. And not the Jude Law one either! The RE-reboot one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Think he's a bigger fan of the fat producer fee check he'll be snagging. Good for him though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Think he's a bigger fan of the fat producer fee check he'll be snagging. Good for him though.

Think it went down something like this?

AIf anybody's gonna make a cashgrab, I'm glad it's Marty. I just hope he does a cameo.

"You see that woman in the window? That's my wife. But that's not my apartment. You know who lives there? A clown lives there..."
AAndrew Garfield as Young Jack Napier! Imagine that hair dyed green!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

"The normies"?

What the fuck.

AI think I have figured out the formula. If Barry starts the thread the movie ain't gonna be worth seeing and will probably hurt a franchises future entries.
AI have this dreadful feeling they will adapt that Joker GN by Azzarello and Risso for this.
A*pushes invisible glasses up nose*

Tim Burton's "Batman" is technically a Joker origin movie.

And not a good one at that. Saved only by Nicholson's performance.

The closest they have gotten to portraying the real Joker was Ledger. They'll never achieve something like that again.

It's astounding to watch a studio implode in slow motion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

No, they just pitched it as some gritty Scorsese-esque 70s flick, and some studio head called Marty and asked him to put his name on it for a fat paycheck, because they know it's a bad idea and need some way to sell it.

Probably.

Which studio will implode first? Sony or WB?

My money's on Sony.

AImplode? WB made a shit ton this summer on Wonder Woman. Calm down.

I don't mean financially.

Warners used to be the studio that gave Kubrick carte blanche.

Warner is still one of more "director friendly" studios out there. They're milking their properties dry but that's every major studio.

Think of what happened between Edgar Wright and Marvel Studios on ANT-MAN. How many more directors of note would be down to direct a comic book movie if they didn't have to contend with the strings that come with a cinematic universe? Imagine someone like Quentin Tarantino being given carte blanche with DC's stable of characters. The obvious name of this new DC film division should be Elseworlds, right?

Go home, Warner Brothers. You're drunk.

All you need to hear is FROM THE DIRECTOR OF THE HANGOVER to know where this is going.

A while back Tarantino said he'd be interested in directing a SGT. ROCK / OUR ARMY AT WAR film. If I were a WB exec, I'd schedule a meeting with him ASAP.

Nah, SGT. ROCK belongs with Mel.