Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
JOKER starring Joaquin Phoenix (Todd Phillips, 2019)

WB was courting him to direct SUICIDE SQUAD 2. Now they can give him a DC property outside of their cinematic universe plans that will allow him to cut loose.

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx#post_4347867"]And not a good one at that. Saved only by Nicholson's performance.

The closest they have gotten to portraying the real Joker was Ledger. They'll never achieve something like that again.
[/quote]

"The real Joker."

Based on a true story.

They have an awful lot of Batman related films in the works. THE BATMAN TRILOGY, BATGIRL, BIRDS OF PREY, GOTHAM CITY SIRENS, HARLEY QUINN, NIGHTWING, SUICIDE SQUAD 2 and now THE JOKER.

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx#post_4347867"]The closest they have gotten to portraying the real Joker was Ledger. They'll never achieve something like that again.[/quote]

To be fair to Nicholson and Leto though, they didn't get to shadow the real Joker for 4 weeks to prepare for the role like Ledger did.
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx/30#post_4347955"]
"The real Joker."
[/quote]

"And a real human being."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

If I were a WB exec, I'd schedule a meeting with him ASAP.

You mean you're not?!

ACalling it now, Miles Teller is the Joker.

How'd y'all feel if THE BATMAN trilogy that Matt Reeves pitched Warner Bros was meant to exist outside the DCEU?

Tilda Swinton as the Joker or GTFO.

Other than that, I think Warners may have broken me, guys.

Yeah, it's increasingly looking as though the absence of a Kevin Feige figure - an individual knowledgable in the source material and able to successfully translate it to the big screen whilst co-ordinating different projects - has proven DC's downfall. They don't seem to have a plan after Justice League beyond "Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks", and bad decisions along the way (i.e Jared Leto's Joker, who disappeared from public consciousness one weekend after Suicide Squad opened) have scarred their shared universe to the extent that it seems we're already getting a reboot.

of course this is a barry-started thread

home taping is killing music

Matthew Modine as the Joker.  That'd get my ass in the theater.

The only approach I would be interested in seeing is something that riffs on the idea of Joker as object of obsession and Hot Topic idol and weirdo fanboy worship. If they're going to go full grimngritty 80s, then lean into the whole concept of "serial killer chic." Make your protagonist some kind of lonely, awkward guy a la Taxi Driver, but also make this a world where "Joker" comics exist (either as a villain, or as an anti-hero) or there's some Bundy-like serial killer who's used that name. Have our guy go into the seedy underbelly of murderbilia and true crime conventions, riff on some of the key works of the genre (SILENCE OF THE LAMBS), and have him descend so far into this world that the only way "out" is to become the Joker. And in the course of it, completely damn every asshole who's ever painted his face like Heath Ledger for Halloween.

Basically, Apt Pupil, but with the Joker. Slap a synthwave score on it and get Richardson to shoot it.

A[quote name="commodorejohn" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx#post_4347740"]Well, I think we know which classic rock song they're going to cut the trailer to.[/quote]

The obvious song aside, the Bee Gee's "I Started a Joke" would be the most fitting song for the DCEU franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Yeah, it's increasingly looking as though the absence of a Kevin Feige figure - an individual knowledgable in the source material and able to successfully translate it to the big screen whilst co-ordinating different projects - has proven DC's downfall. They don't seem to have a plan after Justice League beyond "Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks", and bad decisions along the way (i.e Jared Leto's Joker, who disappeared from public consciousness one weekend after Suicide Squad opened) have scarred their shared universe to the extent that it seems we're already getting a reboot.

Warners (and most studios) are too insecure to let one guy run everything.  It has to be committee'd to death.  They have to justify their jobs.

Sadly, studios are a series of regime changes... there's usually little consistency, which is why these comic universes end up imploding.  You have people who have business degrees, who barely like movies let alone comics, just punching a clock and throwing their weight around until they're inevitably fired in six months to a year. 

That is why movies usually suck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

The obvious song aside, the Bee Gee's "I Started a Joke" would be the most fitting song for the DCEU franchise.

Shame they already used a cover of it for the Suicide Squad trailer.

AThey can reuse it for the initial trailers when the movie is still a Gritty Grounded Realistic Urban Crime Story. Once the executives get cold feet and panic and start leaning on Scorsese to make it wacky and fun! and colorful like those Marvel movies, they can switch over to the Steve Miller Band.

I like how people are referring to this as the start of a new "Elseworlds"-esque banner in which continuity between movies isn't important. As if up until 2016 that wasn't what WB was already doing with DC properties.

AMan, fuck Elseworlds.

This is a straight up "we have no idea what we are doing!" banner. It has never been more obvious that they are totally flying blind..

Here's your trailer music right here:

Yeah, I didn't know how to respond to this. The bad news is that the Juggalo pimp is sticking around the DCEU.

My dream is that that Flash movie erases the continuity and we get Kyle MacLachlan as a more sadistic version of the TAS Joker.

WB, making the Jabba the Hutt prequel look like a good idea.

Also shouldn't this be an Elseworlds joint?

I believe that's the idea. Deadline says this is being released under a new banner which has yet to be named. DC Elseworlds seems like the obvious choice.

No I mean it isn't a tale but a joint. Elseworld anatomy lesson.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale/30#post_4348091"]Here's your trailer music right here:

[/quote]

It's more trailer-friendly - and Todd Phillips friendly - then "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band.
A[quote name="MrSaxon" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale#post_4348016"]Yeah, it's increasingly looking as though the absence of a Kevin Feige figure - an individual knowledgable in the source material and able to successfully translate it to the big screen whilst co-ordinating different projects - has proven DC's downfall. They don't seem to have a plan after Justice League beyond "Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks", and bad decisions along the way (i.e Jared Leto's Joker, who disappeared from public consciousness one weekend after Suicide Squad opened) have scarred their shared universe to the extent that it seems we're already getting a reboot. 
[/quote]

Geoff Johns, who I am not a fan of, is supposed to be their ersatz Feige, for whatever that's worth. As for a Joker solo movie? As Suicide Squad demonstrated, it's odd seeing the Joker outside of the context of being a villain in a Batman movie, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

What I do think is a bad idea is devoting a film to him as *the* main character. Whatever one thinks of Brian Azzarello's JOKER book (which Suicide Squad took cues from), it has the right idea about how to this. That book is not about the Joker per se, but about a common criminal (Jonny Frost, a revised version of whom appears in Suicide Squad) he joins the Joker's crew as a henchman and gradually gains some insight into what it means to be the Joker (nothing good, and in fact, intensely bad). You get close, but not too close, and the air of "mystery" is retained.

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.) are in talks to write and direct a Harley Quinn / Joker movie, set within the DCEU, that explores their toxic relationship. Margot Robbie and Jared Leto are set to reprise their roles.

https://deadline.com/2017/08/john-requa-...202155227/

AWarner...we have the Nolan trilogy. We have Superman the Movie (1978). We have Batman and Batman Returns. I don't hate MoS or BvS so I'll throw those on my personal pile as well. Hopefully, I'll be able to add Justice League to that, come November. That being said....Warner......just stop all this shit. You. Are. Failing. You're not making any sense anymore. Kill these fucking things. Give us a WW franchise. Maybe an Aquaman franchise, depending on how that turns out. A Brad Bird (or someone who can direct a cheerful, hopeful movie) directed Man of Steel 2(Man of Tomorrow?). Let Batman rest for a good LONG time. It's Wonder Woman's time to shine. Focus on just that stuff. Do something different than Marvel. You're not prepared to play that game. Just stop this shit..
Quote:

Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.) are in talks to write and direct a Harley Quinn / Joker movie, set within the DCEU, that explores their toxic relationship. Margot Robbie and Jared Leto are set to reprise their roles.

Quote:

Just what we need: the world's first rape blockbuster.

I'd be fine with Ficarra and Requa doing something in the DCEU, as I really enjoyed FOCUS more than I thought. But not this.

One of the worst sins of Suicide Squad was the rampant misogyny. Margot Robbie and Viola Davis were the best casting moves in that whole ensemble, and both walk away as marginalized, incompetent, and/or under the spell of sexism.

Jared Leto was so shrill and unpleasant as The Joker that I would be fine never seeing him act in a film again*.

The idea of watching a two-hour domestic abuse spectacle involving these iterations of the characters, in an era where a Nazi-sympathizing rapist has been normalized into the White House and mainstream pop culture, makes me sicker than that time I ate KFC before a flight to Orlando**.

* - Won't stop me from watching something that interests me, like Blade Runner 2049.

** - That actually happened. And I've watched movies that might fall into the category of what I mentioned and enjoyed: Wild at Heart and Natural Born Killers come to mind. But those had artistic integrity. I doubt that's in the cards on this project.

Quote:

I believe that's the idea. Deadline says this is being released under a new banner which has yet to be named. DC Elseworlds seems like the obvious choice.

Sure, just like "World's Finest" was the obvious choice for a movie where Batman and Superman team up.

I always get Todd Phillips confused with Todd Field, the guy who did Little Children.

I am much less interested in this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Warners (and most studios) are too insecure to let one guy run everything.  It has to be committee'd to death.  They have to justify their jobs.

The Batman franchise has always been made by a committee except for Batman Returns and the Nolan trilogy.

WB ten years ago let Chris Nolan and Bryan Singer do whatever the hell they wanted. One succeeded greatly, the other did not.