Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
JOKER starring Joaquin Phoenix (Todd Phillips, 2019)

That must be why Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie!

Neither of these movies are actually gonna happen.

It crossed my mind that an origin movie could maybe work with a Citizen Kane-type framing device. Something along the lines of some doctors at Arkham trying to piece together the Joker's background, only to find varying takes on who or what he is/used to be. Or, maybe even have different actors play the Joker in different accounts of his past.

They could go THE USUAL SUSPECTS route or even RASHOMON.

ATo a degree, Batman was not by committee, except the creative force was Jon Peters. Split decision.

I still consider it my favorite Tim Burton film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

They could go THE USUAL SUSPECTS route or even RASHOMON.

Sure. Just something that doesn't diminish the character by explaining too much, like Johnny said upthread.

Oh, and the mention of Rashomon has caused me to start imagining Toshiro Mifune as Batman, and it is thrilling.

Brendan Schaub was on the Joe Rogan podcast and shares an agent with Todd Philips... he knows about the Joker movie and dropped some info:

Quote:

“My boy Todd Feldman put this together with Todd Phillips. It’s dark. It’s like a dark Joker. As a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him. It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn. It’s super dark and real.”

LOL

AHoo boy.

That sounds amazingly, incredibly awful.

The guys at Sony are going "Really? Even we wouldn't greenlight that!"

Woof. That is... rough.

ARed Hood or GTFO.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Red Hood or GTFO.

It's adorable you think they're going to do anything good.

Besides they did an excellent animated RH film already.

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale/50#post_4353753"]
It's adorable you think they're going to do anything good.

Besides they did an excellent animated RH film already.
[/quote]

And then they did a fucking horrible The Killing Joke, because WB/DC is all about balance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

And then they did a fucking horrible The Killing Joke, because WB/DC is all about balance

What? Are you saying that Harley having a double butt in the new Batman animated film isn't art? It's what WB is all about!

Art.

AWould hug.

I saw that movie a couple weeks ago. Nightwing and Harley hook up.

I don't want to read too much into it but I think Bruce Timm is working through some shit.

AI mean, how does that even work? That's like the Devil's Tuning Fork of butts.

That picture poses so many questions that I never want to know the answer to.

Yes, the Joker is the Joker because everyone made fun of him.

Pass.

AOf those two puppy dogs, one is clearly winning.
AIf that's the joker movie's origin or whatever, fuck that.

Not even a courtesy watch. Ugh..

Oddly enough, I kind of agree with Barry. Go The Usual Suspects route. Have the movie be about the Red Hood gang, like how Scott Snyder treats it in Zero Year. Have a core cast of, say, three guys, and leave it ambiguous about who falls into the chemicals.

Apparently that upcoming Leatheface prequel is doing something similar where you don't find out which character is the titular one until the end.

Of course, they'd rather do a movie about a kid with a permanent smile getting bullied. Like Ron Howard's The Grinch or some shit.

AThis should be a feature version of Brian Azzarello's Joker. That's Marty worthy right there.

I wish. I hope.

Gotta hard disagree on that Azzarello Joker, or, really, anything Azzarello has done, up to and including Batman's last words to his parents being "I hate you."

home taping is killing music

Gotta hard disagree on that hard disagree, it's the one Azzarello I've read and/or embraced and it has The Riddler with a question-mark cane looking like 70's Elton John. That's a bingo.

Brian Azzarello is like if Frank Miller jumped right to the portion of his career where he had no talent, he's the nadir of grimdark.

But what if he wrote Contagion?

100 Bullets is amazing.

His Wonder Woman is pretty good, if you cut out the whole Amazons raping sailors and selling baby boys into slavery.

Other than that, he should never have gotten into superheroes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

But what if he wrote Contagion?

Oh, I'm sure you could come up with some kind of 80s allusion to what that would look like.

Nah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Brendan Schaub was on the Joe Rogan podcast and shares an agent with Todd Philips... he knows about the Joker movie and dropped some info:

LOL

I cannot stop laughing at this quote. I don't even know why I find it so funny, I just do!

It really is embarrassing in its awfulness.

That quote could have come from a select group of guys I know/knew and I wouldn't know the wiser. These guys can be identified thusly:

• Wall of beer bottles/soda cans on one wall of their apartment.
  • They sleep on a futon...still...at nearly 40 years of age.
  • They love MMA more than life.
  • They have truck nuts on a truck that needs a ladder to get into. Said truck has a gun rack mounted against the back window -- which is terrifyingly holding a rifle only about 50% of the time.
  • They love Breitbart/InfoWars.
  • They listen to ICP/Eminem/Disturbed/Five Finger Death Punch/Slipknot exclusively.
  • They bathe in cologne.
  • They only drink Bud/Bud Light. (Craft beer is for pussies.)
  • They wear cowboy boots and their baseball cap has more grease on it than my car's engine.
  • American Sniper, The Dark Knight (sorry) and any Transformers are their favorite movies.
A[quote name="HunterTarantino" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale/50#post_4348930"]One of the worst sins of Suicide Squad was the rampant misogyny. Margot Robbie and Viola Davis were the best casting moves in that whole ensemble, and both walk away as marginalized, incompetent, and/or under the spell of sexism.

Jared Leto was so shrill and unpleasant as The Joker that I would be fine never seeing him act in a film again*.

The idea of watching a two-hour domestic abuse spectacle involving these iterations of the characters, in an era where a Nazi-sympathizing rapist has been normalized into the White House and mainstream pop culture, makes me sicker than that time I ate KFC before a flight to Orlando**.

* - Won't stop me from watching something that interests me, like Blade Runner 2049.

** - That actually happened. And I've watched movies that might fall into the category of what I mentioned and enjoyed: Wild at Heart and Natural Born Killers come to mind. But those had artistic integrity. I doubt that's in the cards on this project.
[/quote]

What exactly was "rampantly misogynistic" about Suicide Squad? Does depiction of a thing mean endorsement of a thing? And wasn't the entire relationship between Harley and the Joker in the cartoon *exactly* like that, but within the boundaries of a Saturday morning cartoon?

People watch Harley getting dressed and there's a close-up of her butt.

Of course, that's ignoring the fact that Robbie plays it completely self-aware and is obviously the one in control of the situation.

Same with the scene where Boomerang says, "You know what they say about the crazies" and she says, "HUH?" like a bimbo but then smiles knowingly.