Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
JOKER starring Joaquin Phoenix (Todd Phillips, 2019)
AShow me the straight guy who's never jacked off to an image of a woman in a skimpy outfit or no outfit and you've shown me the guy who can *maybe* claim that said images are misogynistic with some sort of internal consistency.

Oh boy.

home taping is killing music
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

Oh boy.

Controversial opinion: Stockard Channing should have won Best Supporting Actress that year.

ARosie Perez, just so Fearless could've won the one thing it was up for.

Rosie Perez wasn't nominated the same year as Stockard. I was talking about Stockard in Grease.

Hear you on Fearless, tho.

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/09/01/w...h-dicaprio

Quote:

The word is Warners wants this to be some prestige shit

Not with that vomit inducing synopsis.

And DiCaprio isn't going anywhere near this.

At this point, I consider anything like this fuel for the amazing behind-the-scenes book that eventually gets written.

"Chapter 6: Two Little Mice Fell in a Bucket of Cream"

AI'd call this throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks, but that's woefully inadequate. It's more like pouring shit into one end of a jet turbine, but somehow failing to actually point the other end at anything wall-like.

This will never happen. None of it.

AAgain.

Kyle MacLachlan.

Just imagine a funnier Evil Coop.
A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale/90#post_4354435"]
Not with that vomit inducing synopsis.

And DiCaprio isn't going anywhere near this.
[/quote]

And DiCaprio's in his early 40s. So yes, that's clearly who you get for an origin story.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

And DiCaprio's in his early 40s. So yes, that's clearly who you get for an origin story.

Jesus, I didn't even think of this.   Who is running shit at WB?

Wasn't Jack 52 when he made Tim Burton's BATMAN? DiCaprio's version can already be an established criminal before he becomes Joker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

DiCaprio's version can already be an established criminal before he becomes Mr. Jay.

No.

Even if he comes on the scene fully formed, there's no reason he has to be any particular age.

No.

If DiCaprio gets the role, he may actually kill himself on screen this time.

Leo has already made his contempt for comic book movies well known.  And Scorsese isn't directing, which is a pretty big difference.  Also, Leo seems content to work with only prestige directors at this point in his career.

And more importantly, Joker has already had so many different interpretations, all of them completely overshadowed by Ledger's.  Leo has nothing to gain and everything to lose.  Any Joker from this point on will be measured (and buried) against Ledger's all timer.

Chances of him doing it are virtually zero.  I'd be shocked if he did.

I also don't even think he's particularly well suited for that role... he's got nothing in his filmography to suggest the unhinged, deranged nature of the character... the only outright comic like villain he's played was Calvin Candie, and that was more like a spoiled man-child throwing temper tantrums, an excellent performance, but apples and oranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

If DiCaprio gets the role, he may actually kill himself on screen this time.

Nah, we'll just think he's dead, but there won't be a body.

Leo likes fucking money though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pither View Post

Nah, we'll just think he's dead, but there won't be a body.

AJust make a straight remake of Halloween with DiCaprio in Heath Ledger make-up, and call it Joker Begins. Everyone's happy.

If Warner Bros is that determined to cast an A-lister as Joker, the director's chair may be negotiable. If it turns out Leo will only sign on to this if there's a prestige director attached, watch how fast Phillips departs the project over "creative differences".

So Warner Brothers wants Leo for this?

In other equally likely to occur news, I scribbled the beginnings of a screenplay on the back of a bunch of cocktail napkins while watching a preseason NFL game last night and I want Spielberg to direct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward View Post

If Warner Bros is that determined to cast an A-lister as Joker, the director's chair may be negotiable. If it turns out Leo will only sign on to this if there's a prestige director attached, watch how fast Phillips departs the project over "creative differences".

Watch how fast Warner's pressures Marty to step in.

Quote:

This will never happen. None of it.

Yes.

Barry, once again, I will pay you to stop.

Quote:

Barry, once again, I will pay you to stop.

Can Leo pull off someone, who, as a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him? It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn, after all.

DC/WB clearly can find its ass with both hands, since that's from where they are pulling this shit from.

I mean, seriously, its almost like they are so incompetent and/or lazy, they hope to beat the competition by volume instead of quality

A[quote name="AtomTastic" url="/community/t/159577/the-joker-todd-phillips-scott-silver-martin-scorsese-20xx-an-elseworlds-tale/100#post_4354604"]Can Leo pull off someone, who, as a kid, he had a permanent smile and everyone made fun of him? It’s like on the streets of Brooklyn, after all.[/quote]
I think that's what strikes me the funniest about this - they want to make a capital-P Prestige picture out of that laughable cocktail-napkin-scrawl of a premise? It's like hiring Meryl Streep to play the villain in a big-budget adaptation of Sonichu.
ARemember when Marvel decided to hire a low in demand, charming, rehabilitated addict to play Tony Stark in an Iron Man movie? Those times seem so quaint.

Now WB wants Leonardo Dicaprio to star in, what I am assuming will be titled, Joker Rises. Next there will also be reports that they want Daniel Day Louis to come out of retirement for this and Steven Spielberg to direct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

I also don't even think he's particularly well suited for that role... he's got nothing in his filmography to suggest the unhinged, deranged nature of the character... the only outright comic like villain he's played was Calvin Candie, and that was more like a spoiled man-child throwing temper tantrums, an excellent performance, but apples and oranges.

Based on Catch Me If You Can/WOWS, he's also got the kind of slick con-man villain well in his wheelhouse (which weirdly, almost makes me think that if he really cut loose and decided to have some fun onscreen for once he could be well-suited for a Batman: The Animated Series-type Batman villain), but that's clearly not what they're going to be going for here.

But, honestly, based on the concept they could figure out how to pluck young De Niro out of the '70s in full Travis Bickle mode (which is clearly what they want) and this would still be a disaster.