Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
JOKER starring Joaquin Phoenix (Todd Phillips, 2019)
From Barry's article, this is all you need to know: The film is eyeing a mid- to late-2018 production start, but an insider with knowledge of the project said it could be delayed by rewrites, which are currently underway by Phillips and “8 Mile” veteran Scott Silver.

Yeah, delayed. Never happens.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(03-09-2018, 06:29 AM)barry woodward Wrote: "Todd Phillips’ planned Joker origin movie will portray Batman’s arch-nemesis as a failed 1980s comedian who becomes the clown prince of crime after bombing with audiences, insiders exclusively told TheWrap."
I'm...kind of amazed that they seem to have stumbled onto the exact same backstory as the newspaper Spider-Man comic strip's exceedingly lame totally-not-the-Joker guest villain from a few years back.
(03-09-2018, 09:23 AM)boone daniels Wrote: So more Killing Joke worship.

Great.

No more Killing Joke.

There's also the animated series take that had him moonlighting as a comic while also working as a mob hitman in his pre-Joker days. But, yeah, those involved are probably thinking Killing Joke.

(03-09-2018, 09:27 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: This movie never happens.

The more I hear about it, the more I hope it doesn't.
If this does actually see the light of day it will bomb. Guaranteed.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
WB/DC get the Joker they deserve, but not the one they need right now.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
Tommy Wiseau, DCEU fan. Perfect.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
This is officially greenlit on a $55 million budget, Phoenix is in, starts shooting September in NYC.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...go-1126127
I am thoroughly perplexed, yet, intrigued by this film.
It's a film that has so little reason to exist that one almost wonders if it couldn't achieve Battlefield Earth levels of epic badness.
If the Joker must have an origin story I prefer that it be multiple choice.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(07-10-2018, 07:45 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: It's a film that has so little reason to exist that one almost wonders if it couldn't achieve Battlefield Earth levels of epic badness.

It's destined to since they'll try to make the Joker character sympathetic and ultimately fail since he's a batshit insane mass murderer in clown makeup.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Here's what I propose: Phoenix and Leto in...

"Joker v. Joker: Dawn of INjustice!"

Capitalize both the "i" and the "n" in "INjustice," naturally.
Uh huh. I'll put this on my dvd shelf right next to the Phoenix version of Dr.Strange, Affleck solo That Batman, and the Jared Leto/Men in Black/ 22 Jump Street/ Sinister Six crossover film.

WB executive: "I want a gritty crime drama. I want it DC comics. I want the budget to have the number 5 in it. I don't care who it is, what it is, but I want it right now and it better have the goddamn number 5 in it."
I am absolutely thrilled that WB had the guts to greenlight this.

Since they already ruined the Joker with Leto they should just retcon his origin into him being a traveling novelties salesman who gets bitten by a radioactive clown.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(07-10-2018, 10:49 PM)headless fett Wrote: I am absolutely thrilled that WB had the guts to greenlight this.

Since they already ruined the Joker with Leto they should just retcon his origin into him being a traveling novelties salesman who gets bitten by a radioactive clown.

I don’t think Leto “ruined the Joker”. Just because he put a different spin on the character that had at least 3 totally different live action interpretations before it doesn’t mean the character is ruined. 

I’m curious to see where this goes. But for now I’m in the “meh” group.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Joaquin Phoenix Opens Up About His "Unique" Joker Movie http://bit.ly/2Ldcoco
Per El Mayimbe on Twitter:

DC NEWS NUGGET: Frances McDormand passed on playing Joaquin Phoenix's mom in Todd Phillip's UNTITLED JOKER ORIGIN movie. They want a name for the mom.
(07-16-2018, 09:22 PM)shaunh Wrote: They want a name for the mom.
Isn't it obvious? Batman can't actually succeed in bringing the Joker in because his mother is also named Martha!
What about Kim Basinger, just for the lulz?
he may be on to something

THE MARTHA TRILOGY

Bart! Vagina denmartha these 3!
(07-16-2018, 09:39 PM)bradito Wrote: What about Kim Basinger, just for the lulz?

she loves purple!
Coming out October 4, 2019.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...um=twitter
I have a certain amount of trepidation, but with this kind of enthusiasm and name-talent attached to the project I will keep an open mind.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I guess WB is going to try the whole three DC movies a year thing.

We’ll see...
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Damn, this is coming out before Wonder Woman, Part 1,984?
Why is everyone so down on this? This seems like one of the most interesting things they're trying with a DC movie right now.
Maybe because of the writer/director attached?

Slap Villeneuve's name on this and people would be losing their shit.
the empire never ended
I liked War Dogs and Due Date.

And Joaquin Phoenix post Inherent Vice and The Master playing Joker sure sounds like something to see. On top of that WB willing to make stuff not tied into their shared universe is fantastic news all on it's own. Wish Marvel would get around to something like that so we could get stuff like Nth Man The Ultimate Ninja, Squadron Supreme, Night Raven, and Marvelman.
(07-20-2018, 10:55 PM)wasp Wrote: Slap Villeneuve's name on this and people would be losing their shit.

I'd be losing respect for Villeneuve.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-21-2018, 09:17 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(07-20-2018, 10:55 PM)wasp Wrote: Slap Villeneuve's name on this and people would be losing their shit.

Why? You don't think he'd do a good Joker movie?

(07-20-2018, 11:21 PM)simbob Wrote: I liked War Dogs and Due Date.

And Joaquin Phoenix post Inherent Vice and The Master playing Joker sure sounds like something to see. On top of that WB willing to make stuff not tied into their shared universe is fantastic news all on it's own. Wish Marvel would get around to something like that so we could get stuff like Nth Man The Ultimate Ninja, Squadron Supreme, Night Raven, and Marvelman.

Personally, I loathed Due Date. Just found it to be a miserable and painfully unfunny (almost impressive that it managed that with RDJ and Zach G as the stars) version of Plains, Trains, and Automobiles.

I did not see War Dogs but it looked aight and I heard it was decent. So maybe Todd's trajectory is an upward one (didn't care for The Hangover movies, either).
the empire never ended
(07-21-2018, 11:07 AM)wasp Wrote:

I think he has far better things to do with his time. And I don't think the subject matter is well suited to him.

Personally, I loathed Due Date. Just found it to be a miserable and painfully unfunny (almost impressive that it managed that with RDJ and Zach G as the stars) version of Plains, Trains, and Automobiles.

I did not see War Dogs but it looked aight and I heard it was decent. So maybe Todd's trajectory is an upward one (didn't care for The Hangover movies, either).

Please don't feed the troll, wasp!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-21-2018, 11:07 AM)wasp Wrote:

(07-20-2018, 11:21 PM)simbob Wrote: I liked War Dogs and Due Date.

Fair enough. I enjoyed The Hangover, although I only watched the first one, and wasn't in love with it like many seemed to be back when it came out.
Had no idea this project existed until I saw the title of this page in the thread listing.

Ignorance is bliss.
De Niro is in talks to join as a talk show host who's important to the Joker's origin:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...ie-1127469

Shit, this really is just a King of Comedy remake with the Joker crammed in there, isn't it?
Joker origin as a King of Comedy sequel?

That...weirdly works.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt