Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE BATMAN (Matt Reeves, 2021)
Matt Reeves (CLOVERFIELD, DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, FELICITY, LET ME IN, WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES) has signed on to do an entire trilogy of Batman films. Ben Affleck, despite what he says in the lead up to JUSTICE LEAGUE, is unlikely to return. It seems Reeves wants a clean slate, but how does that square with the DCEU?

Matt Reeves: "Well, I have a vision for a way to do something with that character that feels like it resonates with me personally, and a perspective that can grow out into other things. When Warner Bros approached me, what they said was look, it’s a standalone, it’s not part of the extended universe."
ACan you list more of Matt Reeves' credits? Maybe P.A. gigs early in his career?
AWarner Brothers initial pitch "Matt can you make us a Batman DCEU movie?"

Warner Brothers counter proposal "Can you just make a Batman movie?"

Matt Reeves was in final negotiations to do THE BATMAN and then he decided to walk. There were reports that he had serious disagreements with Warner Bros. Eventually they got him back on board for an entire trilogy, but maybe at the cost of the DCEU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

Warner Brothers initial pitch "Matt can you make us a Batman DCEU movie?"

Warner Brothers counter proposal "Can you just make a Batman movie?"

More like "Can you just take this check and never make a Batman movie?"

If THE BATMAN and THE JOKER are not part of the DCEU, are they a part of a shared universe of their own or are they self-contained one-shots? Where does this leave the announced BATGIRL and NIGHTWING flicks? #ElseworldsCinematicMultiverse #CrisisOnInfiniteEarths

AI actually like Barry's idea of Warner eventually doing Crisis on Infinite Earths, with all of these different iterations of Batman and the rest of the heroes from alternate shows and movies colliding.

They'll probably do that in the CW-DC Universe because they actually know what they're doing over there.

Word now is Warner is bringing Eastwood in as a producer and the film isn't meant to feel like previous Batman movies but instead will be more in the tradition of UNFORGIVEN, MYSTIC RIVER and SULLY.

AIf they are seriously thinking of segregating Batman and this Joker project from the DCEU, then that means one of two things: They're allowing their creative people real room to experiment, or JL is unsalvageable and they're using the next few projects to jump ship.

How fucking weird.
AThere's a chance Reeves just meant no cameos from any other DC characters. But it's only still tangential DCEU if Affleck returns. If he's recast it's definitely a reboot.
ADeciding to start Batfleck at the "Dark Knight Returns" stage of his crimefightin' career put a hard expiration date on this incarnation of the character to begin with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Word now is Warner is bringing Eastwood in as a producer and the film isn't meant to feel like previous Batman movies but instead will be more in the tradition of UNFORGIVEN, MYSTIC RIVER and SULLY.

This, along with the Scorsese/Phillips/gritty70s Joker prequel nonsense points toward them really coming at these films from a totally different angle.  These things are not at all compatible with a shared universe franchise approach.  It would be like Marvel suddenly doing a separate one-off Iron Man trilogy that has nothing to do with the other films in tone or content, and a gritty one-off Loki prequel set moments after the bing bang or something.  Just wild, dumb shit that doesn't make any sense for their brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

If they are seriously thinking of segregating Batman and this Joker project from the DCEU, then that means one of two things: They're allowing their creative people real room to experiment, or JL is unsalvageable and they're using the next few projects to jump ship.

How fucking weird.

The latter.

Keep in mind, WB was this close to doing just that with George Miller's Justice League: Mortal. Until wiser heads prevailed... partially because Nolan was offended at the idea of having to "compete" with a rival Batman series as his films were already making the studio a fortune and threatened to quit (both the franchise and the studio) if they didn't kill it.

AWhat's funny is that, once upon a time, WB stupidly embargoed most Batman and Aquaman characters from the JLU cartoon because they didn't want confusion with other versions in entirely different media...

Now we've got multiple live action Supermen and Flashes, with maybe more to come? I swear.

On the other hand, that embargo spared me the deep shame of ever seeing my favorite superhero ruined by SMALLVILLE, but they made me pay for that brief respite with GOTHAM.

Matt Reeves is saying what he meant by "Not a DCEU film" is that it's not filled with cameos/servicing other characters' stories.

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...4886568960

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...8025503745

Matt Reeves: "Jeez, what'd I miss, guys...? Big Grin Just to be clear: Of COURSE Batman will be part of the D.C. Universe. Batman will be BATMAN..."

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...7802678272

"In my comments from a while back about not being part of the DCEU, I was talking about The Batman being a story specifically about Batman..."

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...4886568960

"...not about the others in the Universe. That it wouldn't be filled with cameos servicing other stories -- that it would be a BATMAN story."

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...8025503745

https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f987.png

https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/...1926010880

"Of COURSE Batman will be part of the D.C. Universe."

Even if he were doing a new version that would still be technically correct. Shouldn't that read "Of COURSE Batman will be a part of the DCEU." to be definitive? He uses DCEU in his later "what I meant was" tweet, but he never outright confirms his film takes place within it. This reminds me of Affleck's non-statement from Comic Con. Strategically vague enough to mollify gullible fanboys until JUSTICE LEAGUE finishes its theatrical run.

AHe says that now, but if Affleck isn't retained I envision hard reboot.

All depends on JL. If it does well, and Affleck is once again one of its best parts, WB probably pushes to keep him.
AWhatever.

So very tired of superhero movies now.

That said, Glenn Danzig for Batman.

BREAKING: Live shot of a WB DCEU Production Meeting:

AThis is hilarious.

How ambiguous can all of these statements possibly be?

"My movie is about Batman and an actor will be Batman and it's a DC related movie."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

He says that now, but if Affleck isn't retained I envision hard reboot.

All depends on JL. If it does well, and Affleck is once again one of its best parts, WB probably pushes to keep him.

They could also 'Year One' Affleck's Batman with a younger guy in the role and then either leave him self contained or swap him out after JL for Affleck depending on what he wants to do/how JL performs.  They love kicking the can down the road with these decisions.

ASo Batman won't even get like an email from Wonder Woman?
AJust War Machine that shit. "What? Of course I'm Batman."

**gives the camera the thousand yard stare**

"I've always been Batman."

They can swap a new Batman into the DCEU via FLASHPOINT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Just Val Kilmer that shit. "What? Of course I'm Batman."

"I've always been Batman."

FIFY

Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

This is hilarious.

How ambiguous can all of these statements possibly be?

"My movie is about Batman and an actor will be Batman and it's a DC related movie."

Yeah, didn't he specifically say WB approached him and said they wanted him to do a Batman movie that had nothing to do with the DCEU?

Ben Affleck from Comic Con: "I know, let me be very clear: I am the luckiest guy in the world. Batman is the coolest fucking part in any universe… DC, Marvel. It's incredible and uh, you know, I'm so thrilled to do it. I know there's this misconception that because I'm not directing that I'm not enthusiastic about it. It's fucking amazing and and I still can't believe it after two films, I have a history with this great studio and, you know, Kevin Tsujihara and Sue Kroll and Toby Emmerich have said to me: 'We want you to be our Batman.' and and, you know, I believe them, and Matt Reeves doing it… I would be a fucking ape on the ground for Matt Reeves. Never mind being Batman. It’s incredible. So I'm really blown away and excited, and it's a great time in the DC Universe. You're gonna see some stuff from JUSTICE LEAGUE that we're really really proud of, and I think you'll see why I'm so excited to be Batman."

Rumor making the rounds right now. Reeves supposedly wants Jake Gyllenhaal for his Batman.

Gyllenhaal was the Runner-Up for Batman Begins but deemed too young (and Bale was already the favorite by the studio going into the auditions before Nolan approved). We'll see.

If I was Gyllenhaal I'd say "Yeaaaaaaaaah...  Maybe a few years down the road when you guys aren't a dumpster fire."

Fuck it, whatever.

BEN AFFLECK DON'T READ THIS

jake gyllenhaal... hello.

Riz Ahmed for Robin!