Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CHUD Hurricane Command Center

So some smug fucking asshole (with a punchable face) reporter from ABC called the cops on people who were looting for food, you know, because they were VIRTUALLY UNDERWATER AND PROBABLY GOING TO DIE.

We're not talking stereos and laptops here dude.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/abc-rep...2017-08-29

The guy is getting destroyed on social media.

And apparently it's lawful in Texas to scavenge food if you are imminent danger:

https://twitter.com/mattbc/status/902591...24/photo/1

AI don't know if it's a good feeling or not to know that you've done all you can financially do to help people make it through this. At least for the time being. You see more people...you feel like a fucking dirt bag because you helped THAT group...but you can't do much for THIS group.

And what really sucks is that in some instances you're not even certain that your donations go to where you intend them to. You hand it off to some folks and you gotta have faith that they're actually doing with it what they said they would do. You spend yourself broke and then you see MORE people....so then you're like "should I just sell my fucking truck and keep going?" instead of saying ok, I've done what I can....gotta head back up north for now. It's a literal fucking nightmare down there..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I don't know if it's a good feeling or not to know that you've done all you can financially do to help people make it through this. At least for the time being. You see more people...you feel like a fucking dirt bag because you helped THAT group...but you can't do much for THIS group.

And what really sucks is that in some instances you're not even certain that your donations go to where you intend them to. You hand it off to some folks and you gotta have faith that they're actually doing with it what they said they would do. You spend yourself broke and then you see MORE people....so then you're like "should I just sell my fucking truck and keep going?" instead of saying ok, I've done what I can....gotta head back up north for now. It's a literal fucking nightmare down there..

You just have to trust that the people handling the money are as honest as you. I've given three times today. The first time I gave I thought to myself, "I wish I could give more, but this is it." I just have to step back and trust that there are others and that there may be other opportunities I have to help.

AThat moment when you realize you've probably donated more and done more for the disaster relief than the sitting POTUS.

I'd be shocked if $1 has moved from DT to anything even remotely related to Houston.

But I bet come tax time he'll write off a gigantic sum that never changed hands..

Pics from the Storm:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/0...er/538215/

Anheuser-Busch Repurposes Its Brewery to Make Drinking Water for Harvey Victims

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/30#post_4353356"]

[SIZE=12px]Anheuser-Busch Repurposes Its Brewery to Make Drinking Water for Harvey Victims[/SIZE]

[/quote]
The irony, man. Anheuser-Busch doing what they're doing compared to Joel Osteen. Damn..
AThat's so classy I'm not even going to zing them with comparisons between their product line and water...

So is Coors and I've heard just about every craft brewery I know in Colorado.

Info on two: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/08/29/co...d-victims/

AFor fans of intra-party fighting, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is not finished reminding Ted Cruz of Hurricane Sandy.

Quote:Critics have called out the Texas Republicans who voted against the 2013 relief aid, claiming the bill was filled with pork. The Washington Post fact-checked the claim Cruz made to MSNBC’s Katy Tur Monday night and found the assertion to be incorrect. As HuffPost’s Matt Fuller and Kaeli Subberwal previously reported, the repairs Texas Republicans claimed were unrelated to Sandy concerned damages caused by the superstorm that devastated areas including New Jersey and New York in the U.S. and also parts of Canada and the Caribbean.

Christie went further, and argued that Cruz exploited the 2013 relief bill for his own political gain.

“Let’s remember what Senator Cruz was trying to do at the time,” Christie said. “He was trying to be the most conservative, the most fiscally conservative, person in the world. And what I said at the time ... is that someday it’s going to come to Texas ... a disaster is going to come to you. And when it does, I’m going to promise him that New Jersey congress people will stand up and do the right thing.”

Oh yeah there is some regional hate going on. Expect the Texas Reps and Senators to demand Hurricane relief and the New Jersey delegation to tell them to fuck off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

And when it does, I’m going to promise him that New Jersey congress people will stand up and do the right thing.

I'd love to know what he thinks is the "right thing" here because that could be handled a couple of different ways. Right thing for him, or right thing for the people affected by Harvey?

A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center#post_4353380"]Oh yeah there is some regional hate going on. Expect the Texas Reps and Senators to demand Hurricane relief and the New Jersey delegation to tell them to fuck off. 
[/quote]

I honestly expect a lot of "we're happy to help, but we're happy to remind you that we're better fucking human beings than Ted Cruz also."

Well, looks like it's Florida's turn now.  If anything good can be said to have come from Hurricane Harvey, it's that Floridians aren't goofing around when it comes to Irma; water and canned goods started disappearing from store shelves as early as this past Friday.  I'm also hearing there isn't a generator to be found for sale in town; one store got a shipment and was literally selling them off the truck.  Even though Orlando isn't expected to bear the brunt of the storm, this thing is big enough that even the outer bands will give us a good soaking.

AWhen you look at the track it's almost as if it was aimed at the Caribbean islands and then programed to hook right and roll over Florida.
A[Image: 400]
ALatest track has it coming almost due north up the panhandle. But the track has been veering eastwards pretty consistently, so it could end up skirting the coast and hitting the Carolinas. Still, too far out to know for sure.

Stopped by my local grocery store -- not panic shopping, I actually needed stuff -- and all the water was gone with a huge line at the water refill station. Do people not realize there is this magical system of pipes that brings water right into their house? And that they have at least three days to use it to fill stuff with said water?
A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/30#post_4357336"]Latest track has it coming almost due north up the panhandle. But the track has been veering eastwards pretty consistently, so it could end up skirting the coast and hitting the Carolinas. Still, too far out to know for sure.

Stopped by my local grocery store -- not panic shopping, I actually needed stuff -- and all the water was gone with a huge line at the water refill station. Do people not realize there is this magical system of pipes that brings water right into their house? And that they have at least three days to use it to fill stuff with said water?[/quote]

If you need to fill containers skip the grocery store and see if any breweries in your area are filling. Most of them up by me are doing so..minus my old boss who is probably trying to figure out how much he can charge.

Still haven't heard if my business trip to Destin, Florida next Friday (the 15th) is going to be cancelled.  If Irma goes per current tracking, I'm honestly not seeing how the airport over there (VPS) will be handling traffic next Friday.

Again, if any Chewers are heading north out of Florida along the I-85 corridor, we have a spare bedroom and a reasonably comfy sofa.

Florida's weird in that there are only two real ways north out of the state:  I-95 along the east coast and I-75 on the western side.  The Turnpike and I-4 criss-cross the state for a good bit, but they both end up connecting to 95 and 75 and some point.  There are major highway routes -- US 1 and A1A in particular -- but if you want out fast, you're on one of those two interstates.  With probably a couple of million people with the same idea.  And rest stop gas stations that know you've got nowhere else to go.  Driving out was probably an idea for a couple of days ago.

We had a jog east and now a jog west, which we're probably going to see a lot of.  Most paths still keep it off the east coast when it passes here; Ventusky (which is an awesome site) is forecasting the worst for Orlando very early Monday morning with 72 mph winds.  We got worse with Charley, so I'm being cautious but not worried.

There's a big meeting at work tomorrow morning that'll likely decide park operations for the weekend.  Universal has a major Christian music event scheduled for Friday and Saturday evening for which they are already -- and without resistance -- processing refunds.  Considering they have bands and guests who might have travel issues, I have doubts the shows are going to go on.  We're also supposed to start Halloween Horror Nights on the 15th, and while the storm should be long gone, who knows what shape we'll be in?  As for the normal day operations, my guess is we'll look at school closures for Monday (gonna have a ton of employees who end up having to stay home because their kids won't be in school) and also look to Disney, who still calls the dance around here.  If it looks like they're altering their hours, we will to.  If I had to bet, I'd say we close early on Sunday and, depending on the impact, open late on Monday or not at all.

AI'm reading reports on Twitter of most major airlines spiking ticket prices for flights out of Florida by up to 600%. The standout exception seems to be JetBlue, which is reportedly capping prices at $99, adding more flights to get people out of there, and waiving cancellation fees for anyone who was scheduled to fly into Florida this weekend.

You really do find out who the hell has a soul and who doesn't at times like this.
AHurricane Jose is going to spawn way better Facebook memes.

Irma might hit Mar-a-Lago.

The county has closed the public schools Monday, so we'll see what other shoes drop in the wake of that.

One funny note:  our onsite hotels are almost at capacity not due to tourists, but team members taking advantage of the really low room rates we get.  $50 a night in a resort hotel that's not likely to blow down or lose power is a much better deal that a night in a shelter.

Richard: any concern on Jose (or Katia) at this time?  It looks like Jose is about 5 days behind Irma in terms of position.  I'm just seeing that they're 'being watched', but I'm not seeing anything in terms of risk assessment.  I can't imagine what would happen if Jose and Katia ended up both being strong hurricanes and pummeled the same areas that Irma just wiped out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Again, if any Chewers are heading north out of Florida along the I-85 corridor, we have a spare bedroom and a reasonably comfy sofa.

Savannah just got an evacuation order. CHUD poster tcjsavannah might be on his way out.

I have a couch I can put my teenager on and his twin over full bunk beds are available as well.

My offer still stands too, don't be afraid to PM me, anyone who could use some free shelter. I'm a pretty decent cook too.

You guys offering up rooms for fellow Chewers are the goods.  Just first rate people all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Richard: any concern on Jose (or Katia) at this time?  It looks like Jose is about 5 days behind Irma in terms of position.  I'm just seeing that they're 'being watched', but I'm not seeing anything in terms of risk assessment.  I can't imagine what would happen if Jose and Katia ended up both being strong hurricanes and pummeled the same areas that Irma just wiped out.

No, most of the models have those storms staying out of our way.  For now, anyway.

Gov. Rick Scott just called for the closure of every K-12 public school and state college in the state starting tomorrow, as well as all public buildings.  They want to get shelter space going as soon as possible.  This is the first development that honestly has me a little nervous.

AThe last model I saw shows that it will pass right over Jacksonville as a cat 2...at this point I've done all I can to get ready...wish my lazy neighbors had taken care of the dead oak tree in front of my house.

I see models with it to the east of us, right over us, and to the west of us.  The entire state is in the cone of uncertainty.  I'm gonna make sure I know the closest shelter to me just in case.  I'm on the second floor of a three-story apartment building with minimal windows:  one in the bedroom, sliding glass doors facing a balcony, and three living room windows facing an inner courtyard/pool area.  Those I'm not to worried about, because the buildings themselves should keep the wind at bay, and the bedroom I'm just going to shut the door and if the window goes, oh well.  The balcony is recessed, so something would have to angle just right to fly in there, but it's the point I'm most worried about.  Too late to get plywood, so I may just shove my mattress in front of the door and throw some sheets over it just to blunt anything that might come tearing through there.

AI did keg and start carbing 10 gallons of homebrew...if I'm home bound then I'm doing it drunk.

Stay safe, everyone!  I went through David in 1979, and that was pretty wild.  My mother is fleeing from Cocoa to Orlando at a friend's house, so she's in good hands.

I wake up this morning to a cone track that has swung wildly from SC into a direct hit on the ATL.