Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CHUD Hurricane Command Center
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

I wake up this morning to a cone track that has swung wildly from SC into a direct hit on the ATL.

Yeah, we're keeping a keen eye on this murderous bitch here in GA..

All you Florida people be smart and take every fucking precaution that you possibly can.

AFamily update: the uncle in Cape Coral who was invited to come up to Tennessee declined, failing to take the storm seriously. This morning he started taking it seriously, far to late too evacuate on the highways. He called my grandmother to tell her that he's going to hunker down as best he can, but that he had lived a good life and had no regrets. I now have a preemptively grieving grandmother to take care of, on top of all her other issues.

Also, my grandmother is, as of this morning, still a climate change denier.

This concludes this morning's family update.

_

We just had Harvey, and right now there are 3 active hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. Sheesh.

Best wishes for your uncle, Reasor. There's still time to fortify.

Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are all closing early tomorrow and staying closed through Monday.  Disney hasn't announced anything yet but I can't imagine they're going to stay open.

EDIT:  And yes, Disney has joined in the fun.

Richard: What are the expectations there in Orlando regarding possible damage to the parks?  How sturdy are the rides in terms of facing off against 100 mph + winds and so forth?

AMost of the actual buildings are built with this kind of thing in mind. What you're likely to see is trees and decorative bits coming down. They were already pulling the awnings off the buildings in New York when I was leaving today, for instance. You might see signage and stuff blown down, but Space Mountain isn't collapsing.
AI'm a little worried about this latest veer to the west. It's bound to hit the Gulf Stream on the way into the Keys, which will likely jog it back east. That'll set it up for more of straight shot up the state.

These days before are always so weird.  It's nice out.  It's a Saturday.  Any real effects of the storm won't be here for another day.  And no one seems to want to go anywhere.  We're about to be cooped up for the better part of two days, so I've been outside as much as I can.

In the five years I lived in Orlando I thankfully never had to go through a hurricane.  Good luck to everybody.

A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/50#post_4359498"]These days before are always so weird.  It's nice out.  It's a Saturday.  Any real effects of the storm won't be here for another day.  And no one seems to want to go anywhere.  We're about to be cooped up for the better part of two days, so I've been outside as much as I can.
[/quote]

The waiting is killing me, knowing that people I care about are down there. Do be safe.
AYeah, even being a dang foreigner there are half a dozen folks I know - both kiwis and yanks - up and down the state. As if the primary blast isn't concerning enough there are also predictions of power being out for days, so communications may get difficult for a bit.

The power running directly to my place is all underground, but there are some overhead lines along the main road about half a mile from me.  If those go down, I'll probably go dark.  Fortunately, there aren't a lot of trees near them tall enough to be a worry.

AA small old Florida village called Cedar Key was devastated last year. My wife and I stay at a small hotel there a couple times a year. They literally just rebuilt...and the current path has a Cat 3 heading there.

The 11:00 projection has Orlando outside the cone.  Although I'm on the far west side of Orange County, so I'm a little closer to the action than Orlando proper is.  Still, it'll probably be weak hurricane force winds/strong tropical storm winds as opposed to the stronger stuff.  Stil not ruling out a jog to the east though; there's still about 24 hours until it really gets here.

AWhen Hurricane Katia lined up behind Hurricane Jose this morning, my grandmother conceded that "maybe there is something to this global warming, I dunno."
A[quote name="Richard Dickson" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/60#post_4359665"]The 11:00 projection has Orlando outside the cone.  Although I'm on the far west side of Orange County, so I'm a little closer to the action than Orlando proper is.  Still, it'll probably be weak hurricane force winds/strong tropical storm winds as opposed to the stronger stuff.  Stil not ruling out a jog to the east though; there's still about 24 hours until it really gets here.
[/quote]

I'm guessing a Eastward bump at some point, dunno why but my guess is as good as any.
Anyway, be safe and good luck.

We're under curfew from 7:00 tonight until 6:00 tomorrow evening.  But most businesses are closed today anyway, so I doubt there'll be much traffic.  It's got to be killing the sports bars to be missing the opening Sunday of the NFL, but do you really want to be responsible for a bunch of drunk people who HAVE to drive home by a certain time?

AWho scheduled a Noreaster in Jacksonville on the same day as a hurricane?

Been raining non-stop since this morning (and who knows for how long before that, I was asleep).  Has about two hours of really hard downpour but it's let up a bit now.  Wind is non-existent at this point.

ADown to cat 2 now it's made landfall? Still 100mph+ winds though, so maybe still get ready to throw that mattress up against that balcony door Richard.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but it's far enough west now that I don't think we're in for any max force winds from it.  Not that it won't be nasty here overnight...

AI would still put that mattress up against the doors though, even if it's just so that whenever you tell the story of Irma years from now you can at least say you did it.

Just did it about twenty minutes ago.

AMy man!

Every time you post in this thread today is a good time.

Not gonna stop anything from breaking, but it'll hopefully keep stuff from flying into the living room.  The doors are recessed into the side of the building, so it'd take a pretty precise hit by something to break them.  The bedroom is a different story; that window is flush with the building.  But I've just closed the bedroom door, so whatever happens in there happens.

Had a flicker that rebooted my computer, but still live for now.  The complex next to me apparently lost their power though.  I've got the AC cranked down to 60 so if my power goes out it'll be cool in here for a little longer.  Got flashlights nearby and my personal and work phones are both fully charged, with a charger unit also full up.  Should be good even if the power goes out.

You've got my cell.  Ping me if you need anything.

Here's my evening for as long as the power lasts.

AHopefully you got a kindle with backlighting or some podcasts or audiobooks loaded up on an ipod for if the power goes out.

Yes to both.  Plus some games downloaded that don't require me to be online.

It's oddly calm right now.  Relatively speaking, that is.  The lights are still on downtown from what I see on the news.  But the storm is now moving almost due north, which will bring us closer to the eye wall than previously thought.

AProbably overkill, but I've camped out in the bathroom to try and get some sleep. The eye will be passing a little west of me in about half an hour, and that should be the worst of it. The good news is my power has been a mighty warrior this evening, and the sound of the exhaust fan is drowning out the noise outside.

[Image: 400]
AOverkill shmoverkill dude, when it comes to riding out a literal killer storm you just gotta do what you gotta do.
AStay safe Richard! And best wishes for your Uncle Reasor.
AManaged to sleep through the height of it. Haven't left the bathroom yet, but I assume by the lack of loud crashing sounds that the apartment is still there.

And never once lost power. People are going to HATE me.
AThat's top news Richard, and your power secret is safe with us.

[quote name="Codename" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/100#post_4360232"]Stay safe Richard! And best wishes for your Uncle Reasor.[/quote]

No Codey, there appears to have been some misunderstanding. Reasor isn't Richard's uncle.
AReasor is everyone's Uncle.