Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CHUD Hurricane Command Center
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

That's top news Richard, and your power secret is safe with us.
No Codey, there appears to have been some misunderstanding. Reasor isn't Richard's uncle.

Pretty sure he was talking about Reasor's uncle that Reasor mentioned a page or so ago.

AIt was just a dumb joke really, but I believe Codey is correct that Reasor is a spiritual uncle to all of us.

It's funny -- it's more consistently windy now than it was all night last night, but we don't have the gigantic gusts we were getting before.

The sun should be up in a bit here and I'll get a look at things.  I popped a quick look into our courtyard and saw a lot of leaves and roof tiles.

Aside from the fence between my complex and the next, I don't see anything structural.  Just a LOT of leaves, limbs and branches.  Which is going to be the norm all over the area.

ANice to hear Richard, you clearly have superb instincts when it comes to choosing hurricane-sheltered habitats.

The worst part was just being by myself.  Not that I was scared, just for the stress relief and distraction.

And I hate to admit it, but for something I threw together, my bathroom nest was stupid comfortable.

AWith overpopulation being what it is, it's people who have what it takes to handle living in smaller spaces who'll thrive. Either because we'll have to live in smaller and smaller living quarters on Earth or because we'll be living in small quarters on spacecraft on the way to overpopulate the next planet.

Either way, clearly you'll do fine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

The worst part was just being by myself.  Not that I was scared, just for the stress relief and distraction.

And I hate to admit it, but for something I threw together, my bathroom nest was stupid comfortable.

So, is Orlando completely done in terms of being at risk?  Near as I can tell by the news and the storm tracking, Irma is NNW of you by a considerable distance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

So, is Orlando completely done in terms of being at risk?  Near as I can tell by the news and the storm tracking, Irma is NNW of you by a considerable distance.

We're still dealing with tropical storm force winds.  Now you might think, "Oh, that's not a hurricane, they're good," but there are a lot of things that weren't knocked down last night that are weak enough to be knocked down by what we have right now.  They're stressing that everyone should stay inside until the curfew ends later today (although they haven't ruled out shortening or extending it as conditions warrant).

Of course, I went outside anyway.  The only major structural damage I saw was one building that had part of its outer wall fall off, exposing the frame and insulation.  But it doesn't look like it weakened the building at all.  Other than that, a couple of big trees down, but mostly just leaves and branches EVERYWHERE.

AAnd the parks? Any reported damage?

They're just now getting out to start their assessments.  We'll probably know more later in the day.

Looks like Atlanta and Georgia in general are just gonna get the rain and high winds, with some accompanying power outages.

Happy it wasn't too bad for you, Richard. You never know with storms like this.

It really is funny how I completely slept through the worst of it.  I think part of it was I felt relatively safe and locked away, and with the noise drowned out, it was just pretty damn comfortable.

Quote:

It really is funny how I completely slept through the worst of it.  I think part of it was I felt relatively safe and locked away, and with the noise drowned out, it was just pretty damn comfortable.

The worse the storm, the better I sleep.  It's the way that I've always been.

AMy uncle called this morning to let us know that he was okay. I could skin him for making my grandmother worry about her youngest son, but everyone's fine.

I'm delighted that Richard did well, and flattered that everyone wants to be my nephews and nieces. I'll let Mom know to make some extra green bean casserole this Thanksgiving.
A[IMG][Image: 400][/IMG]

Couple pictures of my area...high tide is an hour away and they are expecting another 2 to 5 feet of surge along the St. John's River.

Really surprised at what you guys are getting in Jacksonville.  Was any of that flooding expected at all?

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/159590/the-chud-hurricane-command-center/120#post_4360520"]Really surprised at what you guys are getting in Jacksonville.  Was any of that flooding expected at all?
[/quote]
We expected some flooding, but not nearly as bad as it has become. My block is not flooded, but three blocks away the riverfront houses are facing serious flooding. Downtown Jacksonville is mostly underwater from my understanding.
A[Image: 400]

This was a park....

Back in the 90s this was the place to be..now mostly empty.
The silver lining is that the city has wanted to take the building down for years.

A recent view of downtown

Current view of the St. John's River...my mother in law lives about two houses down.

Incredible pictures.  Thank you for sharing, wow.

I love this guy:

https://www.gq.com/story/florida-hurricane-news-guy

Irma caused a bunch of havoc and a bunch of destruction, but somehow I have a feeling that the tone of the media's coverage in comparison to the actual storm is going to result in far fewer people evacuating next time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

... but somehow I have a feeling that the tone of the media's coverage in comparison to the actual storm is going to result in far fewer people evacuating next time around.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Why didn't they tell us it would be this bad?!?! I've lost everything!" "Why did the say it was dangerous?!?! I evacuated for nothing!"

Idiots like Rush Limbaugh say the "liberal media coverage" is overdone specifically to drum up support for climate change, but nevertheless he evacuated Florida.

Let's not forget this storm has killed people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. "Why didn't they tell us it would be this bad?!?! I've lost everything!" "Why did the say it was dangerous?!?! I evacuated for nothing!"

Idiots like Rush Limbaugh say the "liberal media coverage" is overdone specifically to drum up support for climate change, but nevertheless he evacuated Florida.

Let's not forget this storm has killed people.

I completely agree that you have to tell people to evacuate.  Better safe than sorry, and all that.  Fortunately, the storm unpredictably shifted course and also weakened far more than expected.  Unfortunately, I know how the average person is going to react to having dodged a bullet: next time they'll stand directly in the line of fire.

Then again, it doesn't look too great when "random guy on the beach" appears to have been the most informed person on the news yesterday.

Irma was never expected to come that close to Jacksonville.  They were always going to get something, but the storm staying as far east as it did really heightened the storm surge they got.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Then again, it doesn't look too great when "random guy on the beach" appears to have been the most informed person on the news yesterday.

It's his calm, matter-of-fact delivery of facts that's so great. I'm sure he'll be a meme soon, if he isn't already.

Oh, all the parks are opening tomorrow.  I've seen some photos of trees down and some standing water in some of the Disney parks, and apparently Universal saw the same with some minor cosmetic damage, but nothing that will affect normal operations.  But all the schools are staying closed tomorrow -- a lot don't have power, and some are still being used as shelters -- so I imagine a lot of people still won't be going to work because their kids are home.

Meanwhile, Jillian is in Pensacola (she goes to school there) and saying the wind is picking up.  And a friend of mine in northern Georgia just lost power.  The spread of tropical storm force winds on this thing is just massive.

Quote:

Irma was never expected to come that close to Jacksonville.  They were always going to get something, but the storm staying as far east as it did really heightened the storm surge they got.

Yeah, the Governor was just saying it's not the wind, it's the 10" of rain and the 3-5-foot surge that's doing the damage.

Out of idle curiosity, I just googled construction/development projects in Florida.

The entire government infrastructure responsible for reviewing and approving these "two-feet-above-sea-level-within-a-half-mile-of-the-ocean" projects, and the developers who propose them, are fucking scum.

Quote:

And a friend of mine in northern Georgia just lost power.

Scott had to go the long way around to get home today due to a fallen tree blocking the normal route, and we've lost power twice so far.

AHang tight, Jacob! This storm has lost a lot of steam, but it's still an enormous hateful monster, I'm sure.

People hear "tropical storm" and think "not hurricane" and figure it's no big deal.  But 55 mph winds will ruin your day just as good as 75 mph winds will.  They're nothing to mess with.

AA pocket park I paddleboard out of is now gone...
I think my street was the only one in Riverside not to lose power. Quite a few downed pine trees blocking roads, thankfully live oaks are the badass of the tree world and can take a beating.
My wife and I escaped any damage, and aside from some random branches have no real yard cleanup.