Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8 THREAD - Don't Spoil Stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post

Maybe we need to start a S8 thread.

OK.

Second!!!!!

Okay, that was awful.  My first prediction is that Jon Aegon will ride Rhaegal, because symmetry.  I guess Lyanna will have wished she named him Baelor or something else.  Aegon is a real thumb in the eye.

home taping is killing music

I'm also not seeing the epic bloodbath.  That was OG GoT.  Maybe if they had shown some teeth and killed Bronn, Tormund, AND Jaime at the obvious spots this season, the writers appear pretty attached.  Don't get me wrong, plenty of characters are going to die, but most of them will be Tier 2.  A few Tier 1 for the impact, but I don't expect a fire sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Daniels View Post

On one hand, the relative lack of Season 7 "big" deaths seems like a by-necessity move to have some of those characters available to kill next season.

On the other, I've never believed that the series is going to be nothing but a bloodbath.  I think it's going to have a more "traditional" ending than many people expect, but it might present that traditional ending in a way that's not entirely comfortable for the audience.

You know, like an Aunt and Nephew ruling a kingdom together as man and wife, with children.  Not saying this is what WILL happen, but I'm still not sold on the "Jon and/or Dany are totally dead meat" predictors.

People seem to have convinced themselves that the point of the show was to have as bleak and bloody an ending as possible, but I don't think that's really the case.  We're not going to end with a Night King victory or a triumphant Cersei ruling over the ashes as she ushers in the Lannister dynasty.  We're not going to end with every sympathetic character (or even MOST sympathetic characters) dead, leaving only one or two ragtag survivors to try to pick up the pieces.

But the sad truth is that we've reached a point where a large segment of the audience won't accept any ending that skews even halfway close to "happy" because they think the show will be betraying itself or something.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau says that he reports to the set in October.  We ought to be getting the list of directors soon. Since Alan Taylor got his comeback, I wonder if Alex Graves or Tim Van Patten will get theirs as well?  Or Neil Marshall?  And everybody wants Miguel Sapochnik.  Not a lot of slots to go around here.

I just caught up in the other thread, but I figure I'll put this here since it is some of my musing on season 8.

First, I believe Cersei IS pregnant, but I don't think it will go well.  Wasn't her prophecy that she'd have 3 kids?  Already done.  New kid won't happen...  Bad math, not in her favor, or worse, bad for HER.

Also, I think the focus SHOULD be with army of the dead.  I think there are things in place for Cersei to slowly be stripped of support.  If Theon succeeds in some way then Euron is out and the Ironborn support is back in line with "the good guys."  I don't think the Golden Company mercs are going to work out the way she wants, and wouldn't be surprised even if Daario resurfaces and Cersei bankrolls them over the narrow sea, only for them to go "NAH!" and fight for the other side.  If she loses the fleet and the Golden Company doesn't work out then she doesn't have much at all.  Those are the things she seemed to be betting on.

Logistics be damned, and I doubt it will REALLY happen, but what if the Night King flies ahead with the Wight Dragon and basically nukes King's Landing?  And what if the human army that got held back from going north is there?  Anyone not ash can still be killed, little by little a new army of the dead can grow... quickly.  The finale pointed out the million people who live there more than once, and surely not just because.  Plenty could go wrong for them, and we've seen King's Landing in ash in a vision.  How FUBAR could things get with an army of the dead marching south, and another big one right in the middle of everything?  Things could get much worse before they get better.

Lots of thoughts. So good.  Too bad for the long wait.

So here are my death guesses:

1. Jon, he has to die or this story is the same old same old 95%

2. Jaime, a noble death is all he wants anyway 80%

3. Cersei the death audience needs (question is whether it is Jaime or Arya who does it) 90%

4. Dany, she will live to take the throne, but will lose almost everyone close to her 20%

5. Bran will go off and become a tree or something, (I must go north to watch for the return of the night's king or some such) 10%

6. Arya will get close to killing Cersei, she will either succeed or die in the attempt. Perhaps Clegane kills her leading to the Brienne/Hound team up for vengeance 60%

7. Sansa will rule the north, or rule it all 0%

8. Tyrion- he will live to raise his siblings child or if the show wants to really end bittersweet, he will rule with Sansa in a dutiful marriage. 10%

The rest are expendable except Brienne who lives to be the head of the Queensguard (tips cap to Schwartz for being first on this).

The scenes of Varys and Tyrion privately expressing concerns over Dany's more ruthless tendencies combined with Tyrion's pointed request that Dany name a successor were included for a reason.  I can see Varys and Tyrion preferring Jon to Dany after his lineage becomes a public concern, and how Dany reacts to that will be character defining, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau says that he reports to the set in October.  We ought to be getting the list of directors soon. Since Alan Taylor got his comeback, I wonder if Alex Graves or Tim Van Patten will get theirs as well?  Or Neil Marshall?  And everybody wants Miguel Sapochnik.  Not a lot of slots to go around here.

Not getting David Nutter back would be crazy pants. They're really torn between doing two a piece like they've mostly done before but then also getting names. If I had to pick six: 

--Sapochnik

--Podwesta

--Nutter

--MacLaren

--Marshall

--Taylor

If I had to pick three, I'd probably go Sapochnik, Podwesta, and Nutter. If the episodes are truly supersized with each 90 minutes or more, we might get more than three directors.

I also maintain that, and we'll have to see how the ratings were for this season finale - I'm expecting huge - but HBO is leaving money on the floor if they don't stream at least the series finale live in theaters. 

AMaking the prediction official. Dany is pregnant. They overcome the complications and marry, happily.

Martins Aragorn and Arwen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Making the prediction official. Dany is pregnant. They overcome the complications and marry, happily.

Martins Aragorn and Arwen.

But in the fucked-up Game of Thrones way...since they're Aunt and Nephew.

The North is the Shire.  It will survive but it will be forever changed, and not all for the better.

Tyrion will live, but not entirely happily, even if he dies exactly as he wished to in Season 1 and gets his Vineyard.  He's Frodo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau says that he reports to the set in October.

October?!?  Then how do you explain this leaked photo of Tormund from next season's premiere?

My prediction:

The WAR OF THE NORTH will resolve by the end of episode 3.  A ton of Tier 2 players and a couple of Tier 1 players will be removed from the Game.

Deaths:

- Dany and Rhaegal

- Arya

- The Night King

- Tormund

- Berric

- Grey Worm

- Jorah

The WAR FOR THE THRONE will resolve by the midpoint of episode 6. leaving the remaining runtime to serve as an epilogue for the entire series, showing what happens to the survivors.

Deaths:

- Cersei

- Drogon

- The Hound and the Mountain

- Varys

- Melisandre

Might live:

- Jaime

On the THRONE at the end:

- Jon Snow (or whatever his name is)

AOnce again, why kill pregnant Dany? There's no way.
Quote:

Once again, why kill pregnant Dany? There's no way.

Because her first baby was kind of gross.  Can't have that happening again.  Plus this time it has intermingled DNA.  Double gross.

I was just thinking, it would be cool if we could get Roger Allam for one last appearance as Illyrio Mopatis.

ASo does probably 90 percent of your favorite characters. Dany herself comes from a family line of severe inbreeding. Also, she had no first baby.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

Because her first baby was kind of gross.  Can't have that happening again.  Plus this time it has intermingled DNA.  Double gross.

I thought the implication was that Mirri Maz Duur's magic had deformed the baby.

My predictions for the end game. Subject to change whenever I fucking feel like it!

Dany, pregnant or a new mother, sits on the Iron Throne.

Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen is dead, having sacrificed himself in the War Against the Dead.

Sansa is Queen in the North, allied to but independent of the reestablished Targaryen monarchy.

Those who die:

Qyburn

Cersei

The Mountain

Jaime

Euron

Theon

Beric

Greyworm

Jon

Rhaegel

The Night King

Gendry

Those who live:

Dany

Drogon

Davos

Tormund

Missendei

Tyrion

Sansa

The Hound

Brienne

Pod

Bronn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post

Mirri Maz Duur

Quote:

I thought the implication was that Mirri Maz Duur's magic had deformed the baby.

She miscarried/the magic killed the baby to "save" Drogo.

AOnly death can pay for life? Or the opposite?

I'd have to go back and look, but that's what Wikipedia says happened.

Quote:

Only death can pay for life? Or the opposite?

Or one life or another life.

Quote:

On one hand, the relative lack of Season 7 "big" deaths seems like a by-necessity move to have some of those characters available to kill next season.

On the other, I've never believed that the series is going to be nothing but a bloodbath.  I think it's going to have a more "traditional" ending than many people expect, but it might present that traditional ending in a way that's not entirely comfortable for the audience.

You know, like an Aunt and Nephew ruling a kingdom together as man and wife, with children.  Not saying this is what WILL happen, but I'm still not sold on the "Jon and/or Dany are totally dead meat" predictors.

People seem to have convinced themselves that the point of the show was to have as bleak and bloody an ending as possible, but I don't think that's really the case.  We're not going to end with a Night King victory or a triumphant Cersei ruling over the ashes as she ushers in the Lannister dynasty.  We're not going to end with every sympathetic character (or even MOST sympathetic characters) dead, leaving only one or two ragtag survivors to try to pick up the pieces.

But the sad truth is that we've reached a point where a large segment of the audience won't accept any ending that skews even halfway close to "happy" because they think the show will be betraying itself or something.

I don't think Jon and Dany wind up ruling happily ever after, but in general I hearitly agree that many people have set themselves up for disappointment by getting so hung up on the subversive elements that it's almost like they will be angry if the resolution is not stupidly arbitrary.  I struggle to understand both the strain of fandom represented here by Judas, who seems to be in denial that the big battle with the Evil Fantasy Overlord that has been set up since the series opening scene will be the actual climax, and 3nnui, who seems almost eager to brush off all of the genuinely subversive elements throughout the series and put it back in the box of Standard Fantasy Claptrap (Slightly Bloodier Edition).

I don't mean any of that in an accusatory way.  I just view the show differently.  I really appreciate the willingness to fuck with genre formulaics (and the added bloodiness as well), but I also think there are basically immutable laws of storytelling that transcend genre to dictate that the basic setup-payoff calculus must add up in the end.  The series has been fantastic about making the payoffs not what we expect, but they still follow from the setup that preceded it.  I don't think Martin (who is still dictating the broad strokes) will throw storytelling basics out the window for the sake of chasing on last Big Twist.

I think that in the end, it will be Dany and Jon's daughter (yes, daughter) on the Throne, ruling a united kingdoms of Westeros, but with the dragons, white walkers and both Dany and Jon dead.

There will be an end and beginning to the Targaryen line, and the Throne will become a uniting factor through marriage alliances between the houses/kingdoms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

I think that in the end, it will be Dany and Jon's daughter (yes, daughter) on the Throne, ruling a united kingdoms of Westeros, but with the dragons, white walkers and both Dany and Jon dead.

There will be an end and beginning to the Targaryen line, and the Throne will become a uniting factor through marriage alliances between the houses/kingdoms.

5 bucks says twins.  Brother and sister.

There's got to be a point to Jon being the heir to the iron throne. If  they have a kid (or kids) and they rule, what was the point then?

Arya's not dying until she plants Needle so far into Cersei's heart that it thinks it's a shish kabob.

Jon's being set up as the noble and respected paragon.  There's no way that he doesn't end up on the throne.

What would be REALLY interesting...if you wanted to throw a good sized twist in there...is if Jaime ended up being hand of the king for him at the very end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Arya's not dying until she plants Needle so far into Cersei's heart that it thinks it's a shish kabob.

I think she either kills Cersei or tries. And dies, either way, via the Mountain...

...who is in turn killed by the Hound.

Yes, I stole that idea from upthread. Sorry/notsorry

I also think it's not out of the realm of possibility that Team Dragonwolf loses catastrophically to the Night King, and Cersei somehow is unable to leave King's Landing -- the harbor freezes or something -- and we end up with everyone fighting some desperate last battle at King's Landing during which all kinds of things come to a head (Arya v. Cersei, Cleganebowl, etc).  And I still think a sort of pyrrhic victory where just getting away alive is a win could be the end game.  They've planted the "Let's just go back to Essos and wait it out" idea already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Jon's being set up as the noble and respected paragon.  There's no way that he doesn't end up on the throne.

What would be REALLY interesting...if you wanted to throw a good sized twist in there...is if Jaime ended up being hand of the king for him at the very end.

Or Lord Commander of the Kingsguard yet again.  But I agree with the theory I've seen a few places now (I think including here?).  Jaime dies, but Brienne goes on to be the new Lord-Commander of the Kings/Queensguard, and her last scene is filling in Jaime Lannister's entry in the big book of the Kingsguard members, allowing him to be honored in death in a way he never was in life.