Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets make Anime great again!

I won't have it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Can we all agree that the live action Cowboy Bebop American Style is going to be a flaming turd?

Especially after the whole Death Note debacle you'd think Hollywood would lea.....sorry, sorry. Of course they won't learn.

Are they still going ahead with that?  Dear god, well, if they keep tanking, maybe they will figure it out.

ACan anyone comment on the LUPIN THE 3RD anime, movies or tv? All I know is CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO and I'm curious on the other related stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I've gotten my wife kinda...KINDA...into anime recently.  I showed her CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO (which she loved), AKIRA (which she thought was beautiful but didn't really care for), and GHOST IN THE SHELL (which she enjoyed).  I'm debating a big splurge on all of the LUPIN stuff out there based upon her reaction to CASTLE, but holy cow is there a lot.

I plan on showing her NINJA SCROLL next.  We're eyeing ATTACK ON TITAN on Netflix as well...we'll see how that goes.

Yeah, the thing about Akira is that, despite being an important landmark in Anime and the fact that it's a visual masterpiece--it's still kind of a mess. Largely because it was made before the manga was even finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I also missed the boat on Bebop and have never really been able to make it through the series to this day beyond the first couple of episodes and the movie

I love the style, but the actual narratives never really clicked in a way that kept me watching.

You know, I've heard this sentiment before; could you explain more?

Yeah, I got on that Cowboy Bebop boat right when it was making its rounds on Adult Swim. It's a show that, as I've grown older, appreciate more and more with each viewing. I wish more anime took cues from the show. It's not just that it's the closest I've seen an anime television show be "cinematic," it's also in its storytelling: the writing in the show is fucking fantastic. I"m just so impressed by how, in the span of 20 minute episode, CB can bring out these characters that feel lived-in.  Something that so many other shows flounder at.

Basically, Cowboy Bebop is adult in a way that most anime try (and fail) to be.

Pfffffffffffffffft.

Don't you have a shitty Marvel movie to defend or something?

Even Thor 2 is better than any puny Anime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Even Thor 2 is better than any puny Anime.

Okay. Now you've done it.

AThor 2 isn't even better than nothing. I thought Tenchi Muyo! was weaksauce garbage and it's still less of a waste of my time than that.

SAILOR MOON IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS!

Quote:

SAILOR MOON IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS!

Really...?  What's next...'yer momma' jokes?

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again#post_4354980"]SAILOR MOON IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS![/quote]
Sure, fine. And Thor 2 is for people who watch paint dry and go "Whoa! Slow down there, you crazy bitch! I can only take so much excitement!"

ALook, you can rant and rave all you want, Freem, but there's still no getting past the fact that you're a Thor 2 defender on top of being a threadshitter.

I don't like Thor 2.  It's quite mediocre.

What does that say about your precious anime?

ANothing at all.
Quote:

I don't like Thor 2.  It's quite mediocre.

What does that say about your precious anime?

hehehehehe

oh I 'member.

Nah but let's try to stop derailing this thread and take it somewhat seriously? I think we can live with at least one anime thread.

Very well!  I accept your truce nerds!

A[quote name="Ska Oreo" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again#post_4354965"]Yeah, I got on that Cowboy Bebop boat right when it was making its rounds on Adult Swim. It's a show that, as I've grown older, appreciate more and more with each viewing. I wish more anime took cues from the show. It's not just that it's the closest I've seen an anime television show be "cinematic," it's also in its storytelling: the writing in the show is fucking fantastic. I"m just so impressed by how, in the span of 20 minute episode, CB can bring out these characters that feel lived-in.  Something that so many other shows flounder at.

Basically, Cowboy Bebop is adult in a way that most anime try (and fail) to be.[/quote]

Cowboy Bebop's not just the closest to "cinematic" I've seen in an anime television show, it's the closest to "cinematic" I've seen in any television show.

And I've seen JAG, so that's saying something.
AWait, why are you guys still talking about Cowboy Bebop, did you not see the thread's header or something?

okay okay okay okay.  How bout this:

How do people feel about mech anime? Part of the reason why I really don't like Pacific Rim is because it skimpers on, what I think, is the most important part of any (mech) anime--that human element. Yeah, them robots look awfully cool, but none of it matters if I don't care whose piloting the mechs. Really there's two options:

Granted, watching Gundam can be daunting since there's so many fucking series in this franchise. My advice: If you really want the best of the Gundam franchise--just watch stuff from the Universal Century. Definitely more focus on the "War is hell" aspect of the mech genre.

Or, on the other side of the spectrum:

Gunbuster. It's a six episode OAV directed by Hideaki Anno of Evangelion fame. Basicallly, if you've ever seen a Gainax television show (like Gurren Lagan), this is where it all comes from. Definitely a lot more ANIME than Mobile Suit Gundam--characters literally shout out their attacks as they preform them--but it's so much fun. Hell, if Pacific Rim was half as fun as Gunbuster it'd be a minor masterpiece.

AEvangelion and Sky Girls are the only mecha shows I've watched, but I probably should dig into some of the other stuff at some point. It's just that, as you mention, those things tend to run for twenty or thirty years over a half-dozen subserieses and that drops me right into Task Overload Shutdown Mode, a.k.a. also the reason I never got into superhero comics.

If you're interested in Gundam:

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt is a pretty good representative of what's great about the UC timeline. I think this is the "movie" they released last year where they took all of the OVA episodes and combined them into a single feature.  And while, sure, it does help to have more than a little passing knowledge of Gundam as a whole, you don't necessarily need to have watched every single episode of the other series to enjoy this.

I haven't watched a lot of mecha anime, not because I dislike it, mostly as I have no idea what's what.  The only two that pop into my head are 'Patlabour' which I'm not even sure really counts as mecha and one that is currently running 'Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans'.  That one seems to be completely stand alone and doesn't require a tonne of catching up...one of the problems I have with most mecha titles...years and years of backstory.

AIf we're gonna talk mecha anime, I'll happily talk about my beloved ROBOTECH.

Another one I watched, that I just remembered liking was 'Schwarzesmarken' or 'Black Mark' I think.  It's neat mostly due to the setting: 1980's East Germany where an alien invasion has kept the communist bloc in existence.  Kind of bleak but thought provoking, with great action sequences.  There was a second series, set in the same universe, but from the point of view of a NATO unit, fighting on the US west coast called 'Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse' which was also pretty good and far less bleak.

Ska, thanks for the tip, I'll try out 'Thunderbolts' as I don't mind the 'Gundam' stuff, I've just found the sheer amount of it daunting.

As to 'Robotech', I've never watched any, Judas...where's the best place to start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

As to 'Robotech', I've never watched any, Judas...where's the best place to start?

Start with episode 1, "Boobytrap," and go from there. Pretty much everything you need to know gets laid out as things progress, and the show does a nice job of letting the viewer learn new information right alongside the onscreen characters.

Second and third-gen Robotech (The Masters and The New Generation) are definitely my favorite sections of the show, though.

OK, thanks.  I thought it was like 'Gundam' where there are 25 series, set in 7 different timelines or alternate universes.

A[quote name="Andronicus" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/50#post_4355200"]Another one I watched, that I just remembered liking was 'Schwarzesmarken' or 'Black Mark' I think.  It's neat mostly due to the setting: 1980's East Germany where an alien invasion has kept the communist bloc in existence.  Kind of bleak but thought provoking, with great action sequences.  There was a second series, set in the same universe, but from the point of view of a NATO unit, fighting on the US west coast called 'Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse' which was also pretty good and far less bleak.

Ska, thanks for the tip, I'll try out 'Thunderbolts' as I don't mind the 'Gundam' stuff, I've just found the sheer amount of it daunting.

[/quote]

The Muv Luv series actually started as a series of adult graphic novels, but quickly became popular because of its great narrative and characters.
A successful kickstarter brough the games west, and both are on Steam on their non adult (no sexual content) version, but the publisher has an adult patch available separately.
The adult content is optional and adds little to the experience, so i'd recomendar both games if you enjoyed the anime.

Today's recommendations:

Zipang:  This one is really nifty but may be hard to track down as it is 11 years old and wasn't hugely popular as it targets an mature audience and isn't brimming with action. A Japanese naval aegis destroyer leaves port to conduct joint naval manuevers with the US navy.  It, somehow, gets sent back in time just prior to the Battle of Midway.  The crew, knowing what is and will happen during the Second World War has to decide what, if any, role they will play once they realize they are stuck in this time.  Do they attempt to help their homeland win the war or do they try and work with the Allies, knowing how  repugnant the current Japanese regime is and what sort of acts the will carry out, over the course of the war?  I found this series fascinating as it grapples with these questions.  There are several kick-ass action sequences but they're spread out quite a bit.  This is a great series for WWII buffs and anyone who likes real meat to their storytelling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

If we're gonna talk mecha anime, I'll happily talk about my beloved ROBOTECH.

I'm just glad that the (proto)culture has cooled to the point that it's no longer an impeachable offense to talk Robotech instead of its component originals.

Me, I went on a nostalgia bender a couple years back and acquired Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada in their original versions for an epic comparison/contrast. Gotta say, I still prefer the American music on SDFM, and the editorial changes to SDCSC do help the story flow better. But Mospeada is a must in the original, thanks both to the frequent nudity and an early score from future Ghibli legend Joe Hisaishi.

P.S. Me on Robotech, in the 80s Arcade thread:

http://www.chud.com/community/t/159221/t...st_4259715

Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets and Robotech were some of my favorite animated shows as a kid in the 1980s.

I prefer the original Macross stuff a lot more now over the Americanized version but I'll always have a soft spot for Robotech. It was a unique show that wasn't just a toy commercial like all the others were at the time.

I have to say, I'm really glad I started this thread.  I have a bunch of new series that I'm going to jump into, thanks to you guys.  I'll try keep folks updated as too my progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

You can safely skip the later American attempts to extend the series with original content. Sentinels and its ilk are curiosities at best.

I should note that while I never got into them, the tie-in novels have a devoted following. Also, there's a new comics adaptation of the original series out now.