Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets make Anime great again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

I'm just glad that the (proto)culture has cooled to the point that it's no longer an impeachable offense to talk Robotech instead of its component originals.

Me, I went on a nostalgia bender a couple years back and acquired Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada in their original versions for an epic comparison/contrast. Gotta say, I still prefer the American music on SDFM, and the editorial changes to SDCSC do help the story flow better. But Mospeada is a must in the original, thanks both to the frequent nudity and an early score from future Ghibli legend Joe Hisaishi.

Actually, Harmony Gold restored all the nudity to Robotech too just a couple years back -- if you pick up the Protoculture Collection DVD set (or any of the subsequent re-releases), you'll basically get Robotech + unedited Japanese bewbs.

Plus there's lots more of the original Japanese violence restored uncut on those DVDs as well, though Robotech was already pretty shockingly bloody for a (supposed) after-school program even back in 1985.

I've got the remastered editions. They put some of the sex & violence back, but not all...

Now for something different:

Baccano

If you've never heard of this show, you wouldn't be blamed: It was pretty much overlooked when it was first released back in 07, but has since gained a massive cult following with some (including myself) considering it one of the greatest anime ever produced. What's it about? Baccano takes place in Prohibition-era New York, and it's about warring gangs trying to take control of the area. NO WAIT. Baccano is actually about a bunch of characters caught in a murder mystery on the train The Flying Pussyfoot. NO WAIT! Baccano is actually about these immortals trying to fight against this villain who wishes to consume each and every one of them so that he can get stronger.  Yeah, Baccano is, well, nuts; and normally this much "plot" would bog a show down. And yet, somehow it all comes together to form one of the most entertaining shows I have ever had the fortune of watching.

Also:

Durarara!!

Since Durarara!! and Baccano are based on light novels written by the same author, Durarara!! can be seen as a sort of a companion piece to the latter anime series as many of the same themes appear in Durarara!! Durarara!! is a bit more straight-forward than Baccanno (i.e. it's not jumping around different time periods) but it's still all sorts of crazy: Not only is there (yet again) warring gangs attempting to take control of a Japanese city, but there's a headless monster running around. But also: there's a guy who dressess in a Bartender outfit and, somehow, has superhuman strength. Oh and also there's someone attacking people with swords. So yeah, there's a lot going on there.

Also for both shows, I highly suggest watching the dubbed versions as they are both excellent.

Durarara and Baccano both look really cool, I watched the first episode of Durarara but never went back, thanks for reminding me...one more to add to my list!

Rather than throwing out another suggestion, today, I thought I'd riff on Ska's post and put up my favorite opening to different series.  I love these partly for the imagery but mostly for the songs.

Black Lagoon:  The opening sums up the show pretty damn well and the song is great (although it is a stellar example of why bands should never do lyrics in a language they don't speak fluently).

Gate: Great song and the opening tells you exactly what a goofy time you're in for...dragons and tanks!

Arpeggio of Blue Steel:  Love the song, more than anything, opening is pretty standard, otherwise.

Girls und Panzers:  I'll throw this in to hype my earlier kids pick.  My youngest daughter listens to this constantly so I've come to like it through osmosis.  Cute, innocent, and fun, just like the show itself.  Plus...tanks!

I'm curious to see what you guys come up with.

AI, for one, would nominate all of the openings of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

*cough*

What makes a good OP isn't just that the song used is catchy--it's that it distills exactly what makes the show great in a neat two minutes. Tank! does this in spades. It's just so fucking cool to listen to, much like Cowboy Bebop is just so fucking cool to watch.

Also:

Yeah. I absolutely adore Chala Head Chala. Much like Tank!, it absolutely captures exactly what's great about the series in general. In fact, the music in DBZ is pretty great in general.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask for recommendations. I'm looking for something along the lines of FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST or DEATH NOTE. I am one of those plebs who need their anime to feel somewhat westernized and those 2 appealed to me because they told gripping stories minus the outsized operatic emotionality and expository dialogue that defines so much anime (not to say that they didn't have a bit of it, but compared to stuff like Attack on Titan they're practically cinema verite). Are there any other animes in a similar mould?

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evi View Post

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask for recommendations. I'm looking for something along the lines of FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST or DEATH NOTE. I am one of those plebs who need their anime to feel somewhat westernized and those 2 appealed to me because they told gripping stories minus the outsized operatic emotionality and expository dialogue that defines so much anime (not to say that they didn't have a bit of it, but compared to stuff like Attack on Titan they're practically cinema verite). Are there any other animes in a similar mould?

If you enjoyed Death Note and want something more mature and complex, go with Paranoia Agent, Psycho Pass or Monster.

As for something similar to FMA, I'd go with Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Witch Hunter Robin and  Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

*cough*

What makes a good OP isn't just that the song used is catchy--it's that it distills exactly what makes the show great in a neat two minutes. Tank! does this in spades. It's just so fucking cool to listen to, much like Cowboy Bebop is just so fucking cool to watch.

Also:

Yeah. I absolutely adore Chala Head Chala. Much like Tank!, it absolutely captures exactly what's great about the series in general. In fact, the music in DBZ is pretty great in general.

I'll see your Cowboy Bebop and DBZ opening and raise you:

I'm going to assume you mean FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is widely considered to be the superior version of FMA. If not, you really need to watch Brotherhood.

Oooh. Monster is a real good choice. Especially if you want something a bit more westernized.  Monster is about a doctor who, in trying to do the right thing, saves a little boy instead of a politician who was funding the hospital the doctor works out. But that decision bites him in the ass years later when it turns out that young boy grows up to be a psychopathic murderer. Hilarity ensues.

Also, for those who want the closest thing to superheroes in anime, I'd go with One Punch Man, My Hero Academia (Honestly, one of the best superhero tales in recent memory that feels both classic and modern; western comics should learn from it), Birdy The Mighty (Snyder actually stole the Zod/Superman fight from MOS from it!), Samurai Flamenco and Tiger and Bunny.

Quote:

I'm going to assume you mean FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is widely considered to be the superior version of FMA. If not, you really need to watch Brotherhood.

Oooh. Monster is a real good choice. Especially if you want something a bit more westernized.  Monster is about a doctor who, in trying to do the right thing, saves a little boy instead of a politician who was funding the hospital the doctor works out. But that decision bites him in the ass years later when it turns out that young boy grows up to be a psychopathic murderer. Hilarity ensues.

I'm still amazed Monster wasnt picked up for a live action western remake.

Get someone like the creative team behind Hannibal on it, a good cast and it would be a hit.

Also...because I'm gonna keep this thread alive goddammit:

Been meaning to give this a rewatch for years, and finally decided to do just that. If you don't know who Satoshi Kon is, he's an acclaimed anime director known for his Psychological thrillers like Paranoia Agent and, of course, Perfect Blue.

Dammit, I forgot a reccomendation for those that loved/liked Full Metal Alchemist:

Heroic Legend of Arslan

A new adaptation (by the same writer/artist of FMA) of a long running japanese fantasy novels inspired by persian history/legends; essentially a less murder prone Game of Thrones, but no less enthralling and complex.

Akatsuki No Yona: See as above, only with a female protagonist and more fantasy elements.

Quote:

Also...because I'm gonna keep this thread alive goddammit:

Been meaning to give this a rewatch for years, and finally decided to do just that. If you don't know who Satoshi Kon is, he's an acclaimed anime director known for his Psychological thrillers like Paranoia Agent and, of course, Perfect Blue.

A movie so fucking good, Darren Aranofsky bought the rights to a remake just so he could copy one shot from it.

APerfect Blue! I was lucky enough to see that in the theater when it came out. Had the DVD. Lost it in the divorce. Why the fuck is it so hard to get a copy of this? Why is there no American released blu-ray?
Quote:

Yup I do mean Brotherhood, though I actually preferred the ending to the original FMA.

Monster sounds great, I'll definitely check it out first. Doesn't hurt that the name reminds me of Oldboy "MISSUTAH MONSTAH!"

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Well, I'm off to take my youngest to a Ghibli festival.  We're going to see 'Castle in the Sky', 'Kiki's delivery Service', and 'My Neighbor Totoro' on the big screen.  seems like a great way to close out the summer.  All this while my oldest stays home to finish her AP English homework on 'To Kill a Mockingbird' that she's put off all summer.

I'm a mean dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

I, for one, would nominate all of the openings of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Speaking of, this has totally been my go-to mental YouTube horrified reaction-clip basically every single day since the moment Trump won the election:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto II View Post

Speaking of, this has totally been my go-to mental YouTube horrified reaction-clip basically every single day since the moment Trump won the election:

I'm totally stealing that.

Today's pick is something I'm pretty sure some of you may be in the bag for, considering some of the suggestions that have been made here, so far.

Drifters:  From the Director of 'JoJo's Bizarre Adventures' and the writer of 'Hellsing Ultimate' this series is bloody, gonzo, and full of morally ambiguous (dirtbag) characters behaving badly.  The story centers around a number of ruthless historical figures who met violent ends.  At their moment of death they are recruited by someone, likely God, to be sent to another world in order to act as proxies in a fight against what I assume to be Satan, who has recruited her own historical figures.  This thing is a load of fun and the second season should be dropping in the next few weeks.  Well worth checking out the first few episodes.

A[quote name="Andronicus" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/50#post_4356633"]Today's pick is something I'm pretty sure some of you may be in the bag for, considering some of the suggestions that have been made here, so far.

Drifters:  From the Director of 'JoJo's Bizarre Adventures' and the writer of 'Hellsing Ultimate' this series is bloody, gonzo, and full of morally ambiguous (dirtbag) characters behaving badly.  The story centers around a number of ruthless historical figures who met violent ends.  At their moment of death they are recruited by someone, likely God, to be sent to another world in order to act as proxies in a fight against what I assume to be Satan, who has recruited her own historical figures.  This thing is a load of fun and the second season should be dropping in the next few weeks.  Well worth checking out the first few episodes.
[/quote]

Not my cup of tea, sorry.
I loathe Hellsing, Akame Ga kill, Overlord and all those Edgelord/power fantasy series that for some reason are so popular in Japan.
I see them as the eastern equivalent of Mark Millar comics.
Besides, after Berserk (the manga) the bar is too high for any to follow.
Quote:

Not my cup of tea, sorry.
I loathe Hellsing, Akame Ga kill, Overlord and all those Edgelord/power fantasy series that for some reason are so popular in Japan.
I see them as the eastern equivalent of Mark Millar comics.
Besides, after Berserk (the manga) the bar is too high for any to follow.

Fair enough, we like what we like, and all.  I wouldn't put this in the same category as 'Hellsing' though, yeah, the characters are all super good at one thing, but most of the fun happens when they have to do other things that they're terrible at.

A[quote name="Andronicus" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/50#post_4356998"]Fair enough, we like what we like, and all.  I wouldn't put this in the same category as 'Hellsing' though, yeah, the characters are all super good at one thing, but most of the fun happens when they have to do other things that they're terrible at.
[/quote]

Oh, I know how Drifters goes; It's just that to me, Berserk sets the bar too high.
Those other shows I mentioned are absolute garbage, and I've grown sick of anime stile grimdark ultraviolence aside from Berserk.
Just not my cup of tea, to be honest.

Also, if your daughters liked Little Witch Academia, the PS4 game is coming west early next year, and its looks amazing!
It's basically a cel shaded, rpg lite beat em up with multiplayer.

I've seen bits and pieces of the Berserk anime over the years but it never really grabbed me. Everyone told me "Just read the manga. It's fucking badass." so I started reading it a few months ago and holy shit no wonder it gets the praise it does.

Brutal, bloody, insane and funny at times with some great characters.  It's not for everyone but man I'm glad I bit the bullet and checked it out. Fantastic stuff.

I assume manga talk is allowed in an anime thread?

A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/50#post_4357195"]I've seen bits and pieces of the Berserk anime over the years but it never really grabbed me. Everyone told me "Just read the manga. It's fucking badass." so I started reading it a few months ago and holy shit no wonder it gets the praise it does.

Brutal, bloody, insane and funny at times with some great characters.  It's not for everyone but man I'm glad I bit the bullet and checked it out. Fantastic stuff.

[/quote]

I'm not the thread starter, but in the case of Berserk, I think it should.
No offense to the studios behind the adaptations, but damn Miura's work is too rich and detailed for animation.
And to me, Berserk killed any other grim, dark action and fantasy anime/manga simply because the narrative and characterization in Berserk is so rich, detailed and strong, it justifies the darker, grimmer aspects of the story.
That's why I got so riled up when people praised Akame Ga Kill or Overlord as the equivalents of Game of Thrones in anime/manga; character deaths and brutality aside, those series don't have the level of emotion, character and depth of Game of Thrones.
Bersek does, and it's because it understand that it's about length, development and balance...and not overdoing it either.
Hell, it's probably my favorite dark fantasy series, period.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

I've seen bits and pieces of the Berserk anime over the years but it never really grabbed me. Everyone told me "Just read the manga. It's fucking badass." so I started reading it a few months ago and holy shit no wonder it gets the praise it does.

Oh yeah, they're pretty much part and parcel, in my opinion.  I like hearing about how the source material compares to the adaptations, as I've never been able to get very far with manga's, the panel setup throws me every time I try.

Quote:

I'm not the thread starter, but in the case of Berserk, I think it should.
No offense to the studios behind the adaptations, but damn Miura's work is too rich and detailed for animation.
And to me, Berserk killed any other grim, dark action and fantasy anime/manga simply because the narrative and characterization in Berserk is so rich, detailed and strong, it justifies the darker, grimmer aspects of the story.
That's why I got so riled up when people praised Akame Ga Kill or Overlord as the equivalents of Game of Thrones in anime/manga; character deaths and brutality aside, those series don't have the level of emotion, character and depth of Game of Thrones.
Bersek does, and it's because it understand that it's about length, development and balance...and not overdoing it either.
Hell, it's probably my favorite dark fantasy series, period.

I hear you, I got halfway through the first episode of 'Akame', based on a recommendation similar to what you described...bored the hell outta me.  As to 'Drifters' I went into it with low expectations and just found a fun goofy time...nothing more, but more than I expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

I hear you, I got halfway through the first episode of 'Akame', based on a recommendation similar to what you described...bored the hell outta me.  As to 'Drifters' I went into it with low expectations and just found a fun goofy time...nothing more, but more than I expected.

The problem is that Akame Ga Kill was (according to rumours) originally proposed as a Visual Novel; and that's not the least of its problems.

It has interesting characters (Esdeath is a great villain) and the whole Assassins armed with magical weapons thing works...but because the series focuses on being edgy and shocking, it moves too fast and without developing much of the cast (fun fact: the titular character of Akame Ga Kill is one of the least developed in the series! Not only they had to put a prequel manga focusing on her, but the creator even had the gall to use her in a sequel work), so the deaths, relationships and twists come as hollow.

Its probably one of the biggest letdowns Ive experienced with a series; started ok, builded up to great, and then it drops to hell halfway through, both in anime and manga forms.

I thought this thread was going to be about how to make Anime Great again.

My suggestions: Have coherent plots, editing and consistent characterization.

They've got the "objectified underaged women which massive tits" angle covered!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

I've reconciled the fact that the storytelling rhythms of anime are different from standard cinema rhythms.  If I change my approach and dial into the anime and divorce myself from what I'm necessarily used to, I find that I enjoy them more.

My main suggestion for improving anime titles: get rid of the annoying character, male or female (or other), who bounces around like they're on speed and talks in a shrill voice.  They're typically there to be comic relief, but they rarely achieve anything beyond inducing rage.  Almost every title that I've seen has this character in some permutation.

Quote:

Yeah, I kinda went to a bad place back there; but we should also use the thread to warn of the ocasional stinker/awful series.

Back to the reccomendations: For the slice of life/comedy genre, I'd reccomend:

Working!: The lives and relationships of the workers ina  family styled restaurant; there are several seasons, including one that is a sequel that follows a whole new cast of characters; charming, funny and heartfelt.

Servant X Service: Same creator as Working!. Basically, the antics and everyday crazyness in a civil service office in Japan, focusing on the relationships and quirks of the cast of goverment employees; there is one far fetched element in the series, but I cant spoil it, as it cracked me up the first time it was revealed.

Silver Spoon: By the creator of FMA, a charming story about a city student that moves to an agricultural school and the relationships and hardships he endures there; a great series if you have country roots.

Lovely Muco: The daily life of a shiba inu and her owner, a country glasblower; the CG animation is a bit iffy, but it exudes charm and is a must if you are a dog owner/lover.

Azumanga Daioh!: Pure absolutely insanity in the daily life of a peculiar group of high school girls and their teachers. Spoiling it further would be a disservice.

Please Tell me Galko Chan!: A short format comedy series about a trio of female friends that includes a naive bombshell, a sarcastic otaku and a ditzy honor student; what makes the series funny and charming is that it NAILS how teenage girls actually talk and behave in reality, specially when the guys arent around; trust me, coming from a school and university past were girls outnumbered boys, girls do talk dirty and lose composture when they are among peers/friends.

Squid Girl:  A humanoid squid girl (not the sexualized kind) pops up from the sea, looking to conquer humanity; she ends up working at a beach house and joining a family's everyday life.

AI loved the hell out of Azumanga Daioh! in manga form, but I just could not get into the anime. I don't want to bag on it too hard as the cast is pretty solid and the production overall is pretty good, but man, it just murders the comedic timing and buries it in the woods. I think it probably has to do with (if I'm not mistaken) being one of the earlier adaptations of a four-panel strip-format manga, as it essentially feels like they tried to stretch or compress every single strip to fill the exact same amount of screentime; later 4koma adaptations like Lucky Star or K-On! make the more sensible choice of just appropriating the material and reworking it to fit more standard TV comedy rhythms. Azumanga Daioh! the anime has some Twin Peaks-level awkward pauses in there, only they're obviously not intentional.
Quote:

But there are series that do exactly that. Unfortunately, the industry still caters to a niche crowd of 40 year olds so.......

On Azumanga Diaoh: I only read some of the manga, but I fell in love with the anime when I was in high school.

AIt's sad but true. I figure the fanwanky stuff is the price you gotta pay, sometimes though. It's like watching 'Soap', great show but a product of its time...you have to endure the laughtrack to watch the show.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

It's sad but true. I figure the fanwanky stuff is the price you gotta pay, sometimes though. It's like watching 'Soap', great show but a product of its time...you have to endure the laughtrack to watch the show.

As someone who laughs out loud watching Konosuba but cringes everytime they start with the tits bouncing BS, I agree.

I have no problem with fanservice and cheesecake if its part of a series style/humor, but when its there just because it has to be or else the otakus wont see the show and buy merchandise...ugh.*

*Some of the merchandise out there is just....yeah. One Piece and Fairy Tail being considered kid's shows boggles the mind.**

**Why the fuck do boobs look so similar in so many anime? Does everyone use the same boob stencil or what?