Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets make Anime great again!
AHeh..."boob stencil". I wish I had a band so I could change its name to that.

I'm a Miyazaki novice, apart from CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO and PRINCESS MONONOKE.  If I were going to start buying and showing these to my wife, which ones would you recommend starting off with?  I"m going to grab MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO when it gets released on blu ray in October, so consider that one 'done' when making your recommendations.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

Heh..."boob stencil". I wish I had a band so I could change its name to that.

I know its juvenile to call it that, specially in the face of how many manga artists start as apprentices/helpers to an established artist and thus they end up with similar styles most of the time, but seriously....Im 50/50 on the actual existence of a boob stencil most manga artists share.

One thing I do love about My Hero Academia is that its very varied in body and face types, both female and male; a telltale sign of a bad manga/anime is when all characters look like exact templates with different hairstyles and breast sizes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

I'm a Miyazaki novice, apart from CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO and PRINCESS MONONOKE.  If I were going to start buying and showing these to my wife, which ones would you recommend starting off with?  I"m going to grab MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO when it gets released on blu ray in October, so consider that one 'done' when making your recommendations.

Thanks!

Nausicaa, Castle in The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away are my picks.

Oh, this is cool.  Fathom Events is showing CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO later on this month at participating locations.  If you haven't seen it, give it a go.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/100#post_4357794"]Oh, this is cool.  Fathom Events is showing CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO later on this month at participating locations.  If you haven't seen it, give it a go.
[/quote]

Sadly we don't have those here, just Cineplex. I just took Amelie to 'My Neighbor Totoro' and I'd forgotten how much I love that show. If your wife doesn't dig it, check your shed for a person pod...she's been replaced!

I'd also really recommend 'Only Yesterday' for you and your wife. I think it's one of the most overlooked films they've done and one that is most created with adults in mind.
AOh, here's a really good video on Miyazaki. This is a great channel as the guy takes a look at what works and what doesn't in anime from a cinematic perspective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvrxihdgxE

Got another one I watched last year, for today:

Youjo Senki (The Saga of Tanya the Evil)

I'm not going to say a lot about this as it takes a fairly surprising turn come episode two.  At first it looks like a fairly straight forward 'magical girl fighting for her homeland' series but things get thrown on their head right quick.  Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

Quote:

Got another one I watched last year, for today:

Youjo Senki (The Saga of Tanya the Evil)

I'm not going to say a lot about this as it takes a fairly surprising turn come episode two.  At first it looks like a fairly straight forward 'magical girl fighting for her homeland' series but things get thrown on their head right quick.  Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

Hated it. But I saw it and knew about it before your recommendation.

I can see why some people liked/loved it, but see my comments on Akame Ga Kill and Overlord to see why I just couldnt get into this.

Damn it, Ryoken!  It is now my mission in life to find something we both enjoy.

My problem with Akame ga Kill, after watching 6 episodes, is that it wants to be a whole lotta things. It wants to be this edgy, gritty anime so people get murdered pretty grusomely; but it also wants to have all the generic anime trappings, so bland, insert MC and big-titties galore!

I'd argue if you really want something to enjoy:

Fate/Zero (using an amv because I really, really like this video)

Unlike a lot of anime, Fate/Zero is pretty damn consistent in its tone. Not saying that it doesn't have humor; it does. But it never takes away from what's a fairly mature, for a show with energy swords and lighting beams anyways, and pretty disturbing anime. It's also fucking gorgeous.

If you can get past the infamous exposition scene from the first episode (it took me about two attempts to make it through the first episode), there's a lot to like about Fate/Zero.

Quote:

Thanks!

Totoro is indeed a great starting point. Kiki's Delivery Service is similar in feel.

I'd say Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind remains the best expression of his recurring themes-- you'll recognize several of them from Mononoke, and it makes a great double feature with Laputa.

My personal favorite, and the one that just wrecks me every time, is Porco Rosso. Not because it's tragic or anything, but because it resolves its characters in such an immensely satisfying way.

I'm very disappointed you didn't mention Spirited Away

I feel like Spirited Away is advanced-studies material. It's gorgeous, but also long and episodic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

I feel like Spirited Away is advanced-studies material. It's gorgeous, but also long and episodic.

I liked that facet of it, though, I thought it added to the 'dreaminess' of the movie.  I have yet to finish 'Porco Roso' (not because we didn't enjoy it...we were having trouble with our internet the night we put it on to stream) I think we'll fix that this weekend.  Waiting to take my daughters to 'Howl's moving Castle' next month at the theatre...I think that's, hands down, their favorite, likely because it was the first the watched.

Quote:

I liked that facet of it, though, I thought it added to the 'dreaminess' of the movie.  I have yet to finish 'Porco Roso' (not because we didn't enjoy it...we were having trouble with our internet the night we put it on to stream) I think we'll fix that this weekend.  Waiting to take my daughters to 'Howl's moving Castle' next month at the theatre...I think that's, hands down, their favorite, likely because it was the first the watched.

I dunno about now, but Howl's moving castle is the only Miyazaki film I straight up hate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

I dunno about now, but Howl's moving castle is the only Miyazaki film I straight up hate.

What was it that you disliked?  Not judging, just curious.  The only negative I could think of (it's been five or six years since I've seen it, mind you) was that it seemed a mite over-long.

I'm glad to see that I haven't really missed much on the anime front.  I guess there is a reason people still talk about the well known properties.

The only anime that has grabbed my attention in recent years(I haven't been paying that much attention tbh) was FLCL.  Saw it at a restaurant when I was on vacation a few years back and I couldn't stop watching it, even with the sound off.  It was on Netflix Instant for awhile when Instant still had some decent obscure stuff, but only made it through a few episodes before it disappeared.  I had no idea what was going on, but it was so insane that I was never disappointed watching it.  It's basically about a kid who has a horn(or something) growing out his head, (I think) he has a robot friend(surprise!) and he is friends with a girl who plays bass.  What happens outside of that is just madness.

The trailer does not do it justice, but it's a start.

This gives you some idea of how weird it gets, where it will just break into pages from a manga(I believe it is based on one) for no discernible reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCA View Post

I'm glad to see that I haven't really missed much on the anime front.  I guess there is a reason people still talk about the well known properties.

The only anime that has grabbed my attention in recent years(I haven't been paying that much attention tbh) was FLCL.  Saw it at a restaurant when I was on vacation a few years back and I couldn't stop watching it, even with the sound off.  It was on Netflix Instant for awhile when Instant still had some decent obscure stuff, but only made it through a few episodes before it disappeared.  I had no idea what was going on, but it was so insane that I was never disappointed watching it.  It's basically about a kid who has a horn(or something) growing out his head, (I think) he has a robot friend(surprise!) and he is friends with a girl who plays bass.  What happens outside of that is just madness.

The trailer does not do it justice, but it's a start.

This gives you some idea of how weird it gets, where it will just break into pages from a manga(I believe it is based on one) for no discernible reason.

Its getting sequels!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Its getting sequels!

Nice!  Is it going to be on Adult Swim?  If so, I am in.

Need to finish the first season.  I think it was only 6 episodes and I think I got through 4.  Maybe Adult Swim will be running the first season.  I will need to look into that.

AMan, I feel like I've got the worst taste ever...gonna have to dig a little deeper, I guess.
AOkay, let's try this one;

Flag:
[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wfv6FjzHbw[/VIDEO]

Utterly devoid of power fantasies or fan-wankery, this is a great, human, story of a land in conflict and those either involved or observing it. Told entirely through the eye of various cameras (mostly the cameras of two journalists covering the conflict)I found this one very engaging and really well done. The concept of the camera eye view doesn't come off as a gimmick but rather as a filter that separates both the characters and the audience from the conflict they witness.
A[quote name="RCA" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/100#post_4359084"]Nice!  Is it going to be on Adult Swim?  If so, I am in.

Need to finish the first season.  I think it was only 6 episodes and I think I got through 4.  Maybe Adult Swim will be running the first season.  I will need to look into that.
[/quote]

Yes, Adult Swim has the exclusive, I think.

I don't watch as much Anime as I used to but I still check out the occasional series.

Samurai Champloo:

I'd rank this higher than Cowboy Bebop, the fusion of Hip-Hop and Samurai tropes is fantastic.

Noir:

Schoolgirl assassin and female hitman go around killing people in Corsica. It's alot better than it's premise would have you believe.

Kill La Kill:

Probably the most anime anime series I've ever seen, it's just pure insanity in the best way.

AI've been meaning to give 'Champloo' a look, heard a lot of good things about it and it looks visually stunning.
Are you looking for something utterly bleak, ugly, nihilistic, yet strangely hypnotic and profound.

Check out Texhnolyze. That one is a doozy. Makes Evangelion look like Steven Universe in comparison.
A[quote name="NathanW" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/100#post_4359347"]Noir:
Schoolgirl assassin and female hitman go around killing people in Corsica. It's alot better than it's premise would have you believe.[/quote]
Gotta ditto this. It's a pretty damn great show. Excellent soundtrack as well.

When people were asking about 'mecha' anime last week, I can't believe I forgot to raise the 'Patlabor' flag!  The original tv series is a bit long (47 episodes) but it leads directly into the glory that are the two movies.

This is Mamoru Oshii at his (in my opinion) absolute best.  The visuals are stunning, the music fantastic, and 'Patlabor 2' is Oshii's most straight forward work, story wise.  I love that the mechs aren't characters but, in fact, tools, a theme that is central to the entire series...how humans use, and mis-use, powerful new technologies.  There's even a great fourth wall break where this gets discussed:

"What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger?  Dangaioh?  For pete's sake this isn't some mecha anime where the main character is some autistic kid or some punk."

If you haven't seen it, there is an OVA that can act as a lead in to the two good movies (the third is kinda odd and doesn't fit in real well with the rest), or you can jump right into the movies but you lose some of the characterization that gives you investment in the characters.

Still, a great mecha series, no matter how you get into it.

Quote:

Thanks!

I wait with baited breath to hear how date night went, Booth.

Quote:

When people were asking about 'mecha' anime last week, I can't believe I forgot to raise the 'Patlabor' flag!  The original tv series is a bit long (47 episodes) but it leads directly into the glory that are the two movies.

This is Mamoru Oshii at his (in my opinion) absolute best.  The visuals are stunning, the music fantastic, and 'Patlabor 2' is Oshii's most straight forward work, story wise.  I love that the mechs aren't characters but, in fact, tools, a theme that is central to the entire series...how humans use, and mis-use, powerful new technologies.  There's even a great fourth wall break where this gets discussed:

"What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger?  Dangaioh?  For pete's sake this isn't some mecha anime where the main character is some autistic kid or some punk."

If you haven't seen it, there is an OVA that can act as a lead in to the two good movies (the third is kinda odd and doesn't fit in real well with the rest), or you can jump right into the movies but you lose some of the characterization that gives you investment in the characters.

Still, a great mecha series, no matter how you get into it.

Well, there you go, a series I liked.

The original tv series aired here, and I enjoyed it, and the movies are on a masterful level.

I just really enjoy Oshii's practical approach to the mecha genre in Patlabor, seeing their technology and presence as something that would become mundane and common in society; just a realistic take that shows that piloting a mech, regardless if you are a cop, soldier or worker, would be just a job, and not some exciting adventure or unique talent.

Happy now?

AYay! I am vindicated! I am not utterly tasteless! I'll try throw out a few more that are decent.
Quote:

I wait with baited breath to hear how date night went, Booth.

She liked NINJA SCROLL.  She was a tad shocked at the graphic sex and nudity in it ('people actually draw stuff like that?') but really enjoyed the story.

I'll show her some hentail later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NathanW View Post

I don't watch as much Anime as I used to but I still check out the occasional series.

Samurai Champloo:

I'd rank this higher than Cowboy Bebop, the fusion of Hip-Hop and Samurai tropes is fantastic.

Noir:

Schoolgirl assassin and female hitman go around killing people in Corsica. It's alot better than it's premise would have you believe.

Kill La Kill:

Probably the most anime anime series I've ever seen, it's just pure insanity in the best way.

Are any of these on Netflix?  NOIR, in particular, sounds great.

Quote:

Are any of these on Netflix?  NOIR, in particular, sounds great.

Kill La Kill is on Netflix.  Champloo is on VRV/Funimation for free with ads I believe, and it's a show that has run on Adult Swim before and occasionally pops up when they rotate the lineup.  NOIR requires a premium membership on Funimation/VRV.

Of the three, I've only seen Champloo.  I wouldn't rank it above Bebop like NathanW did but I can also totally understand why he would feel that way.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/159598/lets-make-anime-great-again/100#post_4360436"]
She liked NINJA SCROLL.  She was a tad shocked at the graphic sex and nudity in it ('people actually draw stuff like that?') but really enjoyed the story.

I'll show her some hentail later.
[/quote]

Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend for the 'tentacle rape' win.

Yes, I admits I watched it, well, most of it...and it was an awful experience.

By the way, pretty ballsy, going with 'Ninja Scrolls' over a Ghibli film. I tip my hat to you, sir.

My daughters wanted to watch 'Akira' the other night...we made it to the 'police doggie gets plugged' part and that was enough for them. Weirdly, their next pick was the first 'Berserk' movie...which they loved. Guess the line gets drawn with doggie death.