Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Star Wars IX: Untitled (2019)(J.J. Abrams) Pre-Release discussion brought to you by Overlord
ALies.
AEh, I'm ready to be hurt again.

Star Trek and Star Wars have given me enough joy in my 33 years that I can roll with a few disappointments. If it sucks, well... I've seen some truly rotten Star Wars and Star Trek stories. I've also seen some great ones. Hopefully someday we'll get great ones again.
A[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/159625/star-wars-ix-untitled-2019-j-j-abrams-thread-brought-to-you-by-overlord/50#post_4387003"]Eh, I'm ready to be hurt again.
[/quote]

J.J. Abrams couldn't resist returning for Episode IX, out in 2019.

"I had no intention to return, but when the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story, it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in Seven. I learned so much in that movie and I saw that this was a chance to sort of realize something that we hadn't quite achieved – and part of that was it was simply the beginning of these new characters and their story. The opportunity to sort of take what we had learned, to take the feeling of who these characters are and what they are and give them a final chapter that felt in the spirit of what we began? It was too delicious of an opportunity to pass up."

Ridley cried when she heard Abrams was coming back.

"Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised, and was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office. And they were like, 'What the fuck just happened?' So I emailed J.J. saying, 'Oh my God, I am crying.' And he goes, 'Oh my God, me too.' And then we had a conversation a few days later and we stayed in touch. But we stayed in touch the whole time anyway."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/feat...ed-w513392
A[quote name="Barry Woodward" url="/community/t/159625/star-wars-ix-untitled-2019-j-j-abrams-pre-release-discussion-brought-to-you-by-overlord/60#post_4421745"]J.J. Abrams couldn't resist returning for Episode IX, out in 2019.

"I had no intention to return, but when the opportunity presented itself to finish a story that we had begun with these new characters, to tell the last chapter of their story, it felt like there was a chance to do it in a way where we could go beyond, and do better than we did in Seven. I learned so much in that movie and I saw that this was a chance to sort of realize something that we hadn't quite achieved – and part of that was it was simply the beginning of these new characters and their story. The opportunity to sort of take what we had learned, to take the feeling of who these characters are and what they are and give them a final chapter that felt in the spirit of what we begun? It was too delicious of an opportunity to pass up."

Ridley cried when she heard Abrams was coming back.

"Everyone was saying it was going to be Rian and everything, so I was genuinely quite surprised, and was like 'Oh my God!' and I started crying immediately with three people in the office. And they were like, 'What the fuck just happened?' So I emailed J.J. saying, 'Oh my God I am crying.' And he goes, 'Oh my God, me too.' And then we had a conversation a few days later and we stay in touch. But we stayed in touch the whole time anyway."

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/feat...ed-w513392
[/quote]

Poor Rian Sad

Was she crying because she was happy to work with JJ again or sad to lose Rian?  We'll see in eight days.

She was crying with joy that the specter of Colin Trevorrow had been banished forever.

I dunno. Going from Trevorrow to Johnson to Abrams is like dodging a bullet only to discover that the drink you're celebrating with has been laced with a slow-acting poison.  

The only way JJ can make good on his threat to "tie all three trilogies together" is to make it about the Skywalkers. So Anakin is coming back (ugh) or Luke has a major role in the second the third movies. (eh).

OR.....it's a mystery box and the the new trilogy is about the new characters dealing with the fallout of the first two trilogies (what I want).

If the third movie in this trilogy has ANY mystery box Freeman's gonna pop a fucking gasket folks.

AThe death of Freeman would be based on his use of announcing himself in the third person first. The mystery box would just be beating the dead horse.

Freeman does not care for your tone, dinosaur scum!!

Super spoilers for THE LAST JEDI, but the film has been released outside the U.S. and I want to discuss what comes next.   Don't click the spoiler tag if you haven't seen TLJ or don't want all of its surprises ruined.

Like, really.  Super spoilers.  Even in the discussion below the spoiler text.

Luke is dead.

Leia will presumably be dead.

Kylo Ren murdered Snoke, rejected his chance at redemption, and is now Supreme Leader of the First Order.

I don't think JJ was fibbing when he said he's writing the end of the Skywalker story - if Kylo dies, the last Skywalker is gone.  Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

Ummm hold up.  And don't click this if you didn't open the above spoiler and don't want to know all of it/don't care/already know all about The Last Jedi spoilers.

Luke dies, but it's weird. He goes out in a manner that would lead one to think they're not only bringing him back as a "Force Ghost" (which I think is pretty much for sure a given) but perhaps resurrecting the idea that Obi-Wan and Yoda would return as literal more powerful than you could possibly imagine entities from old drafts of ROTJ, I mean why would they have the scene with "force ghost" Yoda setting that physical tree on fire and then introduce this new amazing Jedi power only to have him die from using it and to be actually gone from the story? I'm personally not convinced Luke is so dead.

​I think there's more to this story and we haven't seen the end of Luke's story yet. I think he's gonna be Gandalf'd so to speak. And shit who knows, Snoke might be back in some form too.

Plus since Carrie is gone they have to bring someone in to carry the banner for her, and I'm pretty sure Hamill is contractually obligated to return.  

​Either way, my point is Rian Johnson totally opened the door wide open for Star Wars to get weird again. I don't want to know how Luke did what he did the mystery is what would in my mind make that work, but if it also saaaaay means he can just come back whenever he wants and physically haunt Kylo Ren in his throne room and shit? Fuck ya. I want to see that. Or if it means we're getting some kind of retelling (along with some retooling of elements in that story i.e. no Evil Luke) of Dark Empire so to speak also game for that. I think it would be brilliant if the Resistance somehow get's their hands on some First Order hardware (wtf else are they gonna use at this point anyhow?) and uses it to splinter the First Order and get them fighting eachother and such, and fuck it why not go bug shit crazy and bring back Luke and Snoke and throw them into the middle of that story?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post
Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

The Dark Shape's speculation is the slurry of small fan-fiction sites made flesh.

Yeah, I'm not convinced Luke is dead.

Fully expect some twist where he returns from the other side in human form.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

At the very least, the Yoda/lightning bit may set up him being able to remain an active participant in events despite being a ghost.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Shape View Post

I don't think JJ was fibbing when he said he's writing the end of the Skywalker story - if Kylo dies, the last Skywalker is gone.  Are we looking at something like the original ending of RETURN OF THE JEDI, where the ghosts of Obi-Wan and Yoda joined Luke to fight the Emperor?  Yoda calls down a lightning strike to burn down the tree, so clearly ghosts still have power.  I could see a weird pseudo-AVENGERS moment where Luke, Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin all unite with Rey to defeat Kylo.  You'd essentially have all of the major characters from every episode uniting to end the Skywalker bloodline.

That would be a complete subversion/rejection of the “Let the past die” thematic thrust of THE LAST JEDI, but I’d be okay with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by superlaser View Post

At the very least, the Yoda/lightning bit may set up him being able to remain an active participant in events despite being a ghost.

I don't know if they'll go fully human form with him, but I do completely expect...

... Luke to be a powerful Force Ghost.  There's no way what Yoda does was inserted by Johnson in a careless way.  It's an expansion of what we thought we knew about the abilities of the ghosts, and I would hope we'll see Luke run with that.

Said this in the Last Jedi Post-Release thread. But it's better suited for here for obvious reasons.

Curious how much of Luke's role in Episode IX will now increase/change with Fisher gone.

Put aside all the bullshit debates over Trevorrow (or CLOM! to translate for Nooj - love ya, buddy!), the fact is the problems truly surfaced after her sudden passing. The dude was hired right before Jurassic World exploded. A good three years before cameras would ever roll and plenty of time to hammer out the swan-song for this trilogy while still working hand-in-hand with Kennedy, Johnson and Abrams to make sure it all gelled.

I honestly think if she hadn't died last Christmas (even with The Book of Henry - whose negative reaction was stupidly overblown), he'd still be directing IX.

I think Luke's role basically has to increase.  Clearly the original intention was to lean on Carrie Fisher for IX, but they obviously can't do that.

Just the The Last Jedi tonight and I have no fucking idea how Abrams is going to follow this up. Is Johnson penning the script?

Considering that...

TLJ basically takes a sledgehammer to almost everything from TFA, especially Abrams' goddamned mystery boxes.....

...I'm especially interested in seeing what the result is.

Super glad CLOM is off the job, though. In no way would I want him following Johnson's work.

AThe idea of Johnson doing anything else in the Star Wars universe is nauseating.

Don't worry. The 15 Resistance fighters left are all they need.
AI would be fine with him going back to making arthouse films that are beloved by everyone but me.
A[quote name="MichaelM" url="/community/t/159625/star-wars-ix-untitled-2019-j-j-abrams-pre-release-discussion-brought-to-you-by-overlord/90#post_4429755"]Just the The Last Jedi tonight and I have no fucking idea how Abrams is going to follow this up. Is Johnson penning the script? 

Considering that...

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]TLJ basically takes a sledgehammer to almost everything from TFA, especially Abrams' goddamned mystery boxes.....[/SPOILER]

...I'm especially interested in seeing what the result is.

Super glad CLOM is off the job, though. In no way would I want him following Johnson's work.
[/quote]

So I'm approximately 1724% positive that JJ will retcon Rey's parentage reveal from this film.

My guess is we see a final showdown between Rey and Kylo in the context of the Resistance having built back up to some reasonable numbers... and that's about it. Poe will probably die. Rey will survive. Finn will probably make it. JJ might kill Chewie to do something "shocking," but there's really nowhere to go with this story now.

It's crazy to think how small they've made things. We poke fun at the EU, but Dark Empire had Luke trying to pull a Snape with a resurrected Emperor and resurgent Emperial remnant. A 3-film arc about that, with maybe Ben Solo taking Luke's place due to the time jump, would have been a vastly more satisfying experience.

I'm honestly thrilled the ending is landing in JJs lap. If he can make it anything other than paint by numbers I'll be shocked beyond belief. Honestly, how do you create any narrative or emotional tension when your main characters have already faced off twice, there are no more mysteries to be revealed, and no real stakes left?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Honestly, how do you create any narrative or emotional tension when your main characters have already faced off twice, there are no more mysteries to be revealed, and no real stakes left?

You don't.  Johnson not only had no respect for the movies that came before, he had no respect for the fact that others would have to pick up these pieces.

You know what, I got an idea. How about Luke is just a regular old force ghost and have a couple scenes and that's it. Not crazy.

​Movie takes place a few years down the road, Leia has died of natural causes, but you know who is still alive? You know who is the one character in this series that has lived through every trilogy and every war? Chewbacca. And he is no longer some side kick gimmick, he's leader of the resistance and his lines are all subtitled. Who knows, maybe he was once a Jedi and put himself in exile and that's how he knew Yoda.

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

So I'm approximately 1724% positive that JJ will retcon Rey's parentage reveal from this film.

I joked about that in another thread but it could be easily done. Luke could have had a drinking problem...

AShe's revealed by Abrams to be the maternal granddaughter of Ben Kenobi so force ghost Luke can say "That's a name I haven't heard in a very long time."
AI'd love to see them do something similar to Lucas' original plans for ROTJ, with an all-out rebel assault on the Imperial/First Order home planet, which was called Had Abbadon before being scrapped in early pre-production and then years later turning into Coruscant. The fact that there's about 13 members of the resistance left with a single ship probably means they're not going in this direction….But a time jump of a few years, with Kylo ruling from Coruscant would open up a lot of fun opportunities.
A[quote name="Kevin Macken" url="/community/t/159625/star-wars-ix-untitled-2019-j-j-abrams-pre-release-discussion-brought-to-you-by-overlord/50#post_4430380"]I'd love to see them do something similar to Lucas' original plans for ROTJ, with an all-out rebel assault on the Imperial/First Order home planet, which was called Had Abbadon before being scrapped in early pre-production and then years later turning into Coruscant. The fact that there's about 13 members of the resistance left with a single ship probably means they're not going in this direction….But a time jump of a few years, with Kylo ruling from Coruscant would open up a lot of fun opportunities.[/quote]

The movie pretty much ends in sets up Luke coming out of hiding and the splintered resistance as the star of something bigger.

I think they should consider recasting Leia. Obviously it's not ideal, but the character deserves more than an off screen death. If the original plan was to make IX Leia's film, stick to it. The show must go on. Hire an accomplished actress that somewhat looks the part and close out the character right.

ARecast Leia? Please. That would be as dumb as anti climactically killing off .....I guess they might.
Aquiet BARRY

and luke becoming one with the force?

beautiful moment

not anticlimactic at all!

DO NOT RECAST LEIA

What's the alternative though? They've already ruled out Tarkining her.

Time passes

Leia passes

fuck the "show must go on" mentality.  that shit is complicit in excusing such awful behavior and decisions for something that's meant to be inspiring

it's just star war

no recasting
no CG monsters
disgusting

AThe silver lining to all of this is in 20 years I'm going to finally get my Dark Empire trilogy (right after my Heir to the Empire trilogy, of course).

By then they'll have digital necromancy down to a science and we can enjoy watching 30-something Ford, Fisher and Hamill in post-JEDI adventures forever.