Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Star Wars IX: Untitled (2019)(J.J. Abrams) Pre-Release discussion brought to you by Overlord
(07-11-2018, 10:19 PM)serpico jones Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 05:53 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I would expect that's some patented Abrams mystery boxing misdirection.  Hamill might be filming his stuff at the tail end of the production.

I still don't think that Abrams should keep Luke's inclusion a secret or a surprise, but we all know that's what he's going to do.

Lucasfilm/Disney are coming off of a flop so they won’t take any chances. They’ll market the shit out of Luke and Lando.

I think they are significantly more worried about the widespread toxic reaction to The Last Jedi than Solo's box office performance.  But I also agree they will course correct hard to "crowd pleasing."
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
How weird would it be to see CGI force ghost Alec Guiness hanging out with force ghost Mark Hamill?
(07-11-2018, 11:25 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 10:19 PM)serpico jones Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 05:53 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I would expect that's some patented Abrams mystery boxing misdirection.  Hamill might be filming his stuff at the tail end of the production.

I still don't think that Abrams should keep Luke's inclusion a secret or a surprise, but we all know that's what he's going to do.

Lucasfilm/Disney are coming off of a flop so they won’t take any chances. They’ll market the shit out of Luke and Lando.

I think they are significantly more worried about the widespread toxic reaction to The Last Jedi than Solo's box office performance.  But I also agree they will course correct hard to "crowd pleasing."

"Wide spread."

Everyone hates the movie just like me! EVERYONE!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wa..._last_jedi
Its good to know that Lando could return. He would be a good choice to fill the leadership position that Leia would have provided.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, chaz. Of course, the film has to answer where the hell he was during the last two films.
To be fair, both THE FORCE AWAKENS and THE LAST JEDI seemed to take place over a small handful of days, combined. It's not going to be impossible to justify why he didn't turn up.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
There's a contingent of fans that seem to have a wacky theory for why Mark Hamill is clean shaven: Luke's coming back, and not as a Force ghost. They seem to think the divisiveness over THE LAST JEDI and SOLO's box office performance might have convinced the powers that be to back-peddle on Luke's demise.
There were also die hard fans that were convinced Harvey Dent was still alive at the end of The Dark Knight.

The lessons: many fans are dumb.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I'd like to draw attention to Barry's casual mentioning of fans postulating whacky theories...

There's nowt wrong with that - there's only so much momentum a 'mystery box' can sustain when actually telling a story, but in terms of marketing and keeping coy about what's in the film - that's a totally understandable thing for a director to want to do, and it's for the sake of the audience's experience. There are thousands of reasons Hamill may have shaved his beard besides 'JJ wants to fuck with people'. 

(07-12-2018, 01:54 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, chaz. Of course, the film has to answer where the hell he was during the last two films.

No it doesn't: the films take place in a galaxy, and 30 years have passed since we saw Lando in physical proximity to Leia and company. 'He was somewhere else, doing his own thing,' is a totally acceptable explanation.
(07-12-2018, 01:54 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, chaz. Of course, the film has to answer where the hell he was during the last two films.

Drowning in Arcturian poontang.
Was there a widespread toxic reaction to the Last Jedi, though?

Because it seems like that is only the case if you're hanging out in the Mos Eisleys of the internet.
home taping is killing music
I think there's a large(ish) minority of people who were either disappointed by THE LAST JEDI or outright disliked it.

The so-called "toxic" reaction has always struck me as a very vocal - yet very tiny - subset of that first group, which many of TLJ's most ardent defenders (and, frankly, more than a few people on the Lucasfilm payroll) have attempted to dishonestly conflate into being of the same ilk.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(07-12-2018, 08:27 AM)rexbanner Wrote: No it doesn't: the films take place in a galaxy

Well, most films do...
(07-14-2018, 06:15 PM)frankypanky Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 08:27 AM)rexbanner Wrote: No it doesn't: the films take place in a galaxy

Well, most films do...

Yeah...but that one is far, far away.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(07-14-2018, 01:34 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Was there a widespread toxic reaction to the Last Jedi, though?

Because it seems like that is only the case if you're hanging out in the Mos Eisleys of the internet.

My mission was to incite my fellow TLJ haters into boycotting SOLO in order to make it fail, to show those clowns that we won't tolerate them ruining Star Wars. And it worked! Mission accomplished! Victory! Complete.

What's that? SOLO was actually kinda good? Too bad, doesn't matter, they fucked up.

But hey I take offense to the toxic label. Not my fault that TLJ was pure steaming garbage, fueled by a blatant and admitted SJW feminazi agenda from Kathleen Kennedy and the SW story group. Look it up, it's true!
Git' in under mah belly!
It's not garbage. TLJ plays like harsh studio notes to JJ about TFA. That's what makes it GREAT.
Don't trigger me nuFreeman, you wouldn't like me when I rage hard about professional people ruining silly space movies meant for 12 year olds. I take this shit so seriously!
Git' in under mah belly!
This amuses me;

Git' in under mah belly!
Rex, do you really think Lando's "Yeah, I didn't care about the state of the galaxy while The First Order took over. I was donnin my thang" would suffice?
In Heir to the Empire, while Thrawn is executing sneak attacks across the galaxy and fearmongering, Lando is running a mining colony. Luke, Han and Leia all have to go to him.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
(07-15-2018, 01:56 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Rex, do you really think Lando's "Yeah, I didn't care about the state of the galaxy while The First Order took over. I was donnin my thang" would suffice?

Seeing as the events of TFA and TLJ take place over 4 or 5 days - yeah thats fine.

If we look at Rey meeting BB8 on a Monday, the Republic destroyed on Tuesday and SKB is destroyed on the Wednesday afternoon, TLJ would start up around midnight Wednesday and Leia's distress call put out Thursday evening.

So what, Lando has to drop everything the second the Republic bites it? He's probably on his way to Crait at the end of TLJ. IX will more than likely start with him already part of the Rebel fleet and him and Poe discussing what a tragedy Leia's off screen death was etc.
I don't know, Lando's eighty fucking years old. I think he's entitled to do his own thing. He's probably been running Bespin like Tony Soprano for the last thirty years. He may not have seen any of the old crew since ROTJ.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Maybe he was in captivity so couldn't do any springing to any rescues. Or maybe he was in some kind of accident and in a coma that was longer than Finn and Leia's comas combined. Or maybe he got lost in his cape closet.
Mark Hamill: "BREAKING NEWS: #StarWars #EpisodeIX writer/director JJ Abrams casts Empty Robe in latest installment of much anticipated space-saga."

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status...2332933120

There are fans that are actually worried that this tweet is a sign that Luke isn't appearing in IX.
In case you didn't know, J.J. is a major fan of the Beastie Boys, who happen to have 8 studio albums.

#BB8
Greg Grunberg is reprising the role of Snap Wexley!

Where the fuck was Greg when the needed him in Last Jedi? Retcon!
(07-20-2018, 03:02 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Where the fuck was Greg when the needed him in Last Jedi? Retcon!

Brusquely discarded like everything else JJ established.
Rey wakes up at the beginning of IX to find Greg Grunberg in the shower.
I'm still avian.
(07-20-2018, 04:20 PM)thecooleravian Wrote: Rey wakes up at the beginning of IX to find Greg Grunberg in the shower.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: digital_painting_of_daisy_ridley___refer...9kub0t.png]
(07-20-2018, 03:02 PM)carnotaur3 Wrote: Where the fuck was Greg when the needed him in Last Jedi? Retcon!

The pilots being killing at the being of The Last Jedi couldn't be characters you'd already seen. That makes too much sense. They had to be totally random nobodies, that was the point.
The POE DAMERON comic explains where Snap Wexley (Greg Grunberg), Jessika Pava (Jessica Henwick) and the rest of Black Squadron are during the events of THE LAST JEDI.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_...n_Vol_1_29
(07-20-2018, 03:22 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Brusquely discarded like everything else JJ established.

Wait, so it was George Lucas who established Rey and her loneliness, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren and his myriad psychological issues, Snoke, the Resistance, Leia's place at the head of that, the Resistance's relative lack of resources, the First Order, Luke's self-exile, Kylo Ren's massacre at Luke's temple, Rey's journey to the Jedi planet, etc?
This apparently starts shooting today. Disney could issue an announcement during WB’s comic con panel just to fuck with them.