Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - POST Release

So... just got back from this. I was distinctly not impressed. It looked fantastic, but it just felt muddled. There didn't seem to be any clear throughput for the plot, no real theme. And there were a LOT of pointless goings on.

Still digesting thoughts, but I know a few of you must have seen this one already so I'll prep the thread at any rate as I rarely get ot do that. Smile

AAgreed. Theres definately something off about it and it is FAR too long.

One of the joys of BR is its so lean.

Too many callbacks too all of which kept reminding me I was watching a film rather than immersing me (which given the amount of water on screen was no mean feat).

But it was stunning and it's good to have intelligent scifi. But it was too self aware to be truly great.

Yeah, I mean, trimming an hour out of this movie would have been a cinch. Sure, long sweeping shots of the sets and the vistas are great and all, but do we need it EVERY time?

And honestly, I'm not totally convinced what Joi brought to the story beyond being DAMN fine. Felt we could have replaced her with Mariette and trimmed a whole lot of fat from the film. (or ditched Mariette and everything she brought with her... that all came far too last minute to have any impact)

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

SPOILERS THIS IS THE POST RELEASE THREAD I'M TOO GOOD TO YOU LOT

SPOILERS

Oh and every cameo was pointless, but I had to chuckle at the Tarkin-ization of Sean Young, it was especially wrong and out of place.

*edited from Penn, yes, shaddup*

Quote:

Originally Posted by flint View Post

*edited from Penn, yes, shaddup*

That entire scene could have been cut with nothing lost whatsoever.  Although Ford was GREAT in it I have to say.

But really, all it did was add to the "is he or isn't he" argument, with no clear resolution.

The design and direction of Mariette was supremely off putting for me.  They might as well have just CGI'd in Pris.  The look, the mannerisms.  Every time she was on screen "oh look, it's Pris, oh that's right, I'm watching a Blade Runner sequel... hmm it's not as good as the first one".  Every call back had that effect on me, most were very small (drinking for two people, "scan right, enhance, move in", etc), but Mariette was a long ongoing one, in a way Ford wasn't.  Weird choice.

I did like seeing Gaff again.  And his horse origami suggesting he was part of the pre-blackout plan was a nice subtle touch.

I also really liked the Replicant "birth" scene.  That was genuinely horrifying.  I liked a shit load about this movie, all the performances were great, the design and attention to detail, the ideas beyond BR itself, but the whole is definately not greater than the sum of it's parts.

AIt's great. It's bad. It's smart. It's dumb.
But it is Blade Runner.
Liked parts of it. Hated parts of it.
But as a whole, I loved it.
I'd rather have muddled, flawed but thought provoking, evolved and nuanced sequels like Blade Runner 2049 than the sterile, inert Alien prequels.
Can't wait to see it again.

Couldn't have loved it more. Hot damn. I don't know if I'd call it better than the original, but it succeeds more in emotion. Villeneuve knocked it out of the park.

Gosling, Ford et al were tremendous. Deakins and the VFX team better fucking win Oscars. Not sure why the Sean Young hate. I've cringed at the de-aging effects in Tron Legacy and every Marvel movie, but I wasn't distracted. Deakins probably smoothed the shit out of it.

It's the anti-Prometheus. Ridley would've dragged the Officer K reveal till two hours in and it sets up an absolutely tremendous story arc.

AA polite request for those of us on mobiles...

Can you carriage return a few times?

This is more to those who come after.
ALoved the sound design.

Loved the visual world building, from the panoramic vistas to the street level scenes of holographic ads getting into the faces of people who just trying to walk down the sidewalk.

LOVED the decision to make K's replicant status clear from the moment Sapper Morton starts counterinterrogating him.

I loved all the little things about JOI:
the fact that K keeps his own privately owned artificial person, who keeps him company;
the fact that his makers couldn't iron that basic human need for someone to connect to out of their replicants;
the fact that everyone seems to recognize her ring tone when it goes off, and how that shapes their perceptions of K;
the fact that she seems to show genuine love for him, opening up a whole new can of worms about artificial persons as property.

I loved the inverse Voight-Kampff test where K's supervisors check to make sure he's not affected by his work.

I loved the fake-out about the identity of Deckard's and Rachel's child. It fooled me twice. I believed it was K, and then I (briefly) assumed that it must be Mariette.

I loved the fact that the replicant army in the sewers and the coming war for independence is not the point of the movie, and never gets resolved. For everything else that's going on, it remains a gumshoe detective picture about cracking the case and doing the right thing.

Jared Leto is the only thing dragging the picture down. One line of dialogue from Silvia Hoeks' character, about how she's taking Deckard to her boss so that he can learn how to breed a slave race, would have enabled Villeneuve to cut Leto's scenes entirely, to the movie's benefit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Loved the sound design.

Loved the visual world building, from the panoramic vistas to the street level scenes of holographic ads getting into the faces of people who just trying to walk down the sidewalk.

LOVED the decision to make K's replicant status clear from the moment Sapper Morton starts counterinterrogating him.

I loved all the little things about JOI:
the fact that K keeps his own privately owned artificial person, who keeps him company;
the fact that his makers couldn't iron that basic human need for someone to connect to out of their replicants;
the fact that everyone seems to recognize her ring tone when it goes off, and how that shapes their perceptions of K;
the fact that she seems to show genuine love for him, opening up a whole new can of worms about artificial persons as property.

I loved the inverse Voight-Kampff test where K's supervisors check to make sure he's not affected by his work.

I loved the fake-out about the identity of Deckard's and Rachel's child. It fooled me twice. I believed it was K, and then I (briefly) assumed that it must be Mariette.

I loved the fact that the replicant army in the sewers and the coming war for independence is not the point of the movie, and never gets resolved. For everything else that's going on, it remains a gumshoe detective picture about cracking the case and doing the right thing.

Jared Leto is the only thing dragging the picture down. One line of dialogue from Silvia Hoeks' character, about how she's taking Deckard to her boss so that he can learn how to breed a slave race, would have enabled Villeneuve to cut Leto's scenes entirely, to the movie's benefit.

All of this. I wasn't even distracted by Leto.

Another thing I love? Deckard lives. And The Big Stupid Mystery Question never gets answered.

++SPOILER PHONE GAP++

++JUST IN CASE++

++ONE MORE TIME FOR OLD TIME'S SAKE++

Goslings face on the "you thought it was you?" was some quality acting.

Joi freezing during the phone call on the roof was heart breaking

Luv was great.

There's a moment in the downed car where K is choking Luv against the roof, and Ford looks so confused that it made me laugh out loud.  But to be fair you wouldn't know what the fuck was going on.

The baselining bits were amazing.  The first one was a blur of WTF, then the second one highlighted how a replicant would fail it.

Leto didn't annoy me as much as I thought he would but he was definitely the honeydew melon in the fruit salad

I think this movie broke my brain. I'm in a total fog right now. This movie was like heroin.

AI actually had no problem with Leto, because I saw his character and acting in comparison to Turkel's Tyrell, and it all made sense.
Wallace is blind to the life he has created, unlike Turell, who was fascinated by it.
Wallace sees replicants as mere tools in service of humanity, without souls or merit, while Tyrell saw them as chained, superior gods.
The second that clicked in my head, I had a huge appreciation for Leto and his character; he is an industrialist, not an inventor/creator, and you can tell he is frustrated and envious that Tyrell managed to one up him, even in death.
Also I had no problem with the Cgi cameo, because it was clearly intended to be off putting and feel wrong on purpose; I just read that it's merely a de-aging CGI effect over the original performer, which made it much better.
Finallly, loved, LOVED that the movie didn't just not answer Deckar's nature, but instead called into question Blade Runner's Final Cut take on it.
The important thing is the question, not the answer.

Also, Ana de Armas as Joi was hauntingly beautiful and human, dammit.

Another thing I loved: the hologram jukebox.

Oscar chances on this are strong. I think Villeneuve's hat is in the Director race. Technical nominations are going to be countless and Deakins is likely going to finally win his statue.

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Another thing I loved: the hologram jukebox.

Oscar chances on this are strong. I think Villeneuve's hat is in the Director race. Technical nominations are going to be countless and Deakins is likely going to finally win his statue.

I agree about the nomination for Best Director, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ford was nominated for Supporting Actor as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Macken View Post

I agree about the nomination for Best Director, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ford was nominated for Supporting Actor as well.

I would adore that. I thought he was tremendous, but I think I need another viewing to digest his performance because this movie was an utterly intoxicating experience because I don't feel enthusiastic as all hell over it.

The beauty of his take on Deckard here is that, unlike Han Solo in The Force Awakens (of which he was MVP, like he never stopped playing the role, and the first time I felt like I was watching Harrison Ford since Air Force One), he gracefully integrates his age into the performance. He's a cranky, paranoid old cooze when K first visits him and the arc of redemption and closure for Deckard is beautiful. A lot like Kyle MacLachlan's work in the new Twin Peaks, I felt like a lot of Ford's performance relied on his facial expressions and body language. It's Gosling's movie, but the work that Ford has is arguably a lot more complex: an established character in old age, clinging to life.

He even has his "Oscar scene" when he talks to K at the bar. And that last shot. The last shot was everything. I almost cried.

Yeah, he should be nominated.

AI thought this was pretty cool

Would love to see it in 3D maybe

I liked Leto's heavily affected performance. He was in it just the right amount.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I thought this was pretty cool

I liked Leto's heavily affected performance. He was in it just the right amount.

GOD! KNOWING YOU THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS I CAN TAKE THIS!!

Is it a good kind of cool? Is it a bad kind of cool?  WHICH IS IT?!!

AIt's really cool!

I liked it a bunch!

And I'm someone generally left cold by the original. But I admire it.

It does run long, but I didn't mind. I found the pace of this one hypnotic and just gave more more time to indulge in the aesthetics.
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release#post_4377065"]I thought this was pretty cool

I liked Leto's heavily affected performance. He was in it just the right amount.[/quote]

Yeah, I liked Leto too. He definitely gave such a small part an interesting presence, and I thought his last scene with Ford was aces. His affectations communicate that Wallace is both the distant creator-god and less human than his servile creations. He's great.

For that matter, almost everything about this film was great. I'll post a bit more when I get home, but of the two performances Ford has given in a sequel to a classic, this is by far the best.
AYeah, this movie makes me yearn for more old Ford acting; the guy knocks it out of the park here.
The part with the dog killed me.
Also loved that that the big reveal was hidden in plain sight...by using another reveal over it

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]The memory maker breaking down and crying as she reveals K's wooden horse memory isn't fake isn't just crying because she is revealing that to K...but because its HER memory she is viewing. The scene that makes believe in the cliche that K is the naturally born replicant has the real answer in it all along [/SPOILER]

Loved that.

Between this and Black Mirror, Mackenzie Davis sure is locking down a niche as "participant in weird technology sci-fi love triangles". Count me in as wanting more of her too, mostly because between Black Mirror/HACF I'm a fan for life. She's awesome and should be the lead in one of these pictures.

I don't know if this is Roger Deakins' BEST work, but it is definitely Roger Deakins' MOST work. How many ways can he shoot rain on glass? A love scene with one actress blended into another? A fist fight in the ocean? Why not?

Ford kills it. The second he's onscreen, you're reminded that, yeah, there's a reason this bastard was such a massive movie star. It's great to see him come back and hit a second classic role out of the ballpark. Him just sitting and listening is infinitely more absorbing than any number of Leto monologues.

Otherwise, favorite performances were Hoeks and de Armas, both of whom I hope to see more of in the future.

Definitely gonna need a rewatch.

I saw this immediately preceded by the original, probably the third time I've seen Blade Runner in theaters. I would say this was not optimal, as seeing the first one, which seems to essentially say it all when it comes to the dramatic potential of artificial intelligence and futuristic noir, this sequel felt far more lumbering, smaller in its thematic scope, and a little bit self important. Which is how I felt about the original Blade Runner the first time I saw it, so who knows how I'll feel in ten years.

There was plenty to enjoy though. I thought Joi was great. Did they intentionally name her after the internet slang Jerk Off Instructions, do you think? That's cute.

The great setpieces were the highlights. Ford vs Gosling in the holographic Elvis theater. That final fight in the monsoon. Great stuff.

I'm pleased it was so ambitious.

AOh I've seen de Armas in KNOCK KNOCK!

I thought she looked familiar. Her having dark hair in this threw me off, since she was blonde in KNOCK KNOCK.

FREE PIZZA!!!

I actually assumed she was the actor from Trainspotting 2.
AI thought this was pretty good.
AThis movies sound was trying to rape my ears. Despite that I liked it a lot. THIS is the movie where the hero is a replicant you assholes, THIS IS HOW THAT’S DONE.
AI liked that K being a replicant wasn't kept secret for half the film. He's identified as one fairly early on in the film when he has that exchange with Sapper.

Is there any reason to think Deckard is a replicant anymore? He's aging, he's still no match for one in a fight, and it doesn't appear to matter in the slightest if he is or not.

ASapper was big Dave? That was the very first scene.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.

Wow, I'm surprised the K reveal caught anyone out. It was WAYYY too early in the film and foreshadowed and portended so importantly and over the top that it just felt to me it had to be a fakeout. Once I had that in my mind, the reveal of who the child WAS came straight away during the memory scene.

I'm glad everyone seems to like this, it's not one I'm going to revisit myself. I generally just couldn't get behind anything the movie was trying to do emotionally wise and was very much aware of the runtime throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post

So... just got back from this. I was distinctly not impressed. It looked fantastic, but it just felt muddled. There didn't seem to be any clear throughput for the plot, no real theme. And there were a LOT of pointless goings on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post
Agreed. Theres definately something off about it and it is FAR too long.

I wish I could love the film like many already do, but it left me disappointed as I did not think it was great like the original is. I'll put the spoiler talk in the spoiler tag-hopefully that's not an issue for anyone looking at this on their phone-before that, I do agree that it looks and sounds fantastic. The score really is an extension of what Vangelis did 35 years ago. If you can see it at an IMAX or a competing Premium Large Format screen, it is worth the extra cash; if there are speakers on the ceiling, all the better as those were used often, as I found out by seeing it at a Dolby Cinema at AMC. I also agree that the cast as a whole did a nice job; I was even fine with Leto and his role.

As for what I had a problem with:

Yes, it is the story I had a big problem with. It just seemed thin and the longer the movie went on, the more complaints I had about it. The biggest carp is that I found it to be so predictable. I presume that it was supposed to be obvious whose bones were buried, and yet we had to wait like 10 minutes before the characters discover this. Unfortunately, The Girl in the Plastic Bubble being a certain character was blatant to me shortly after her first scene and I was trying to figure out why she reacted in a certain way; the actual reveal is not until at least an hour later and I regrettably was not surprised. I am not one to guess such things by any means, so to me it was incredibly telegraphed. So much time was spent making you think a certain way, I knew it had to be a diversion. Problem is, I felt like all the time going in that direction before it changed... it sort of felt like a waste of time all that happened before the change, you know.

While watching it I thought the JOI character was weird, although I had no problem with the character itself, the acting done or especially how the character looked. Seeing you guys explain it, it made more sense.

I agree, too much of it did seem unfortunately pointless or just plain off and not important to what is essentially a thin story. The movie being that long wasn't necessary even if I did enjoy being in the world. I just wish I could love it like I do the original; I know many will but I doubt it'll happen to me no matter how many rewatches are in my future. I did not need a neo-noir story like the first BR but a villain as cool and thought-provoking as Roy Batty was sorely needed for me.

Overall, I can't say it's bad or something that made me angry. I just felt let down and I wish I could love the film as I know many will.

AI thought the climax was kind of "eh" but the soundtrack was dope.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I thought the climax was kind of "eh" but the soundtrack was dope.

There was a lot of bass.

I don't really get why the daughter was SOOOOO important to Jared Leto.  "I can never make enough, but if they could reproduce, it's the next step in evolution!"  ...  Humans can reproduce.  Just use humans for whatever tasks you need.  There's a throwaway line about slavery of humans being unthinkable but I don't fucking think so, that world clearly had some fucked up stuff going on clearly slavery would be no issue. What, Replicants can bench really heavy?  So what built a mech exoskeleton for humans, it's the future.

I liked the K and Joi relationship. It was honestly the closest the movie had to a heart and soul for me.

I've always respected BLADE RUNNER but found it cold.

In that respect, BLADE RUNNER 2049 fixes many of the "problems" I had with the original - every character has a beating heart, all struggling to live and figure out what the hell living actually means.

It's too long and too precious with itself - you could easily chop 20 minutes out without losing a single important beat - but on the whole, I think it's a really impressive sequel that raises the original in my estimation.

(Jared Leto was good and didn't hurt the film in the least.)