Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - POST Release
AI think the lifespan thing is basically as long as they return to baseline.

As soon as move beyond baseline - retirement.

BR mentions how after a few years replicants get emotions of their own. This seems to be a way of managing that.
ACells... cells...
AThought this was aggressively ok. The love scene between Gosling and his hologram was really clever, and the lighting of that tide final fight was incredible (otherwise wasn't really a fan of Deakins work here). However, at the end of the day, I can only stand so much empty-headed, philosophic musings about what it means to be human. Pacing is abominable too.
AIt did feel like an extended edition.

When the usher announced the running time before the movie started, standard practice at the Arclight, the audience groaned.

But they always groan.
Ahahahaha

unnnngh
AUNNNNNGH!!!
A[quote name="Mojj" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release/90#post_4377841"]Thought this was aggressively ok. The love scene between Gosling and his hologram was really clever, and the lighting of that tide final fight was incredible (otherwise wasn't really a fan of Deakins work here). However, at the end of the day, I can only stand so much empty-headed, philosophic musings about what it means to be human. Pacing is abominable too.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you must have some brain disorder to not find Deakins work here beautiful, regardless of what you think about the plot.
ALol, well, if I'm being 100% honest, in terms of incomprehensible 3hr eye-candy, I got more bang out of my buck with the recent Transformers film than I did this. Most of the imagery here is either warmed over from 1982 or your basic one-tone color grade palette that got boring to look at after awhile (Vegas).
AThis was well made.
As'got some flaws though
AUnnnngh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Unnnngh!

AI liked it, but that actually is the best thing about it, the level of craft on display. Looked fantastic, very clever use of effects, decent story, pretty people actin' real good. It has it all.

But the first movie has always been sui generis, and I don't know that this added anything important, or make me reconsider anything about it. It wasn't unworthy either. So.

I certainly don't think we need another of these, if this should end up doing boffo BO-- as they probably don't say anymore. I sure as hell don't need to see any underground replicant uprising as was suggested here. Because that sounds like some Matrix sequel bullshit.
A[quote name="Mojj" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release/90#post_4377868"]Lol, well, if I'm being 100% honest, in terms of incomprehensible 3hr eye-candy, I got more bang out of my buck with the recent Transformers film than I did this. Most of the imagery here is either warmed over from 1982 or your basic one-tone color grade palette that got boring to look at after awhile (Vegas).[/quote]

[Image: 600]
AI prefer the lurid texture of Cronenweth's cinematography in the first film. Deakins' camerawork *looks* amazing, but it's so clean. For a dystopian hellhole, L.A.'s not grubby enough. The mise en scene is also too spare. It isolates the characters, but it also gets rid of the original's sense of claustrophobia.
ALiked it. But like Flint and Bain said in the beginning of this thread, it felt muddled.

On the drive home we argued what the point of the love scene actually was. Maybe i didn't care for it (and the dramatic importance of the moment when Joi is "killed") because i couldn't feel for Joi, because she was "just" an AI. If it was about showing how important and real she is for K, then it emphasized the opposite: he had to get a surrogate body to feel her. And he had sex with a body who clearly wasn't her. It was a nice comment on needing both things, love for the "person" and the carnal stuff.

Random thoughts:

-The Film felt weirdly devoid of humans/ population. Apart from some slightly crowded scenes in the first third, the were long stretches where we had only like 3 people around. It got so weird to me that i thought about the Blackout being a reason, or more people being off-world than i thought. Scenes like K watching the giant Joi advertisement towards the end had no one around inmidst that gigantic metropolis. Made the film feel small.

-The Blackout was a (partially?)nuclear war, right? Hence the erasing of data through EMP and the radiation in Nevada.

-The wall around L.A.: I first thought it was because of rising sea levels, but towards the end it looked like the water level was about the same as street level on the city side.

-The Fight between Deckard and K in the Hotel got ridiculously long.

-Useless trivia: The first scene was planned for the original Blade Runner and got storyboarded but not filmed. Some similarities, like K coming into the house and watching the pot on the stove. I'm curious who had the idea to finally use that scene.
A[quote name="Slim" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release/90#post_4377881"]I liked it, but that actually is the best thing about it, the level of craft on display. Looked fantastic, very clever use of effects, decent story, pretty people actin' real good. It has it all.

But the first movie has always been sui generis, and I don't know that this added anything important, or make reconsider anything about it. It wasn't unworthy either. So.

I certainly don't think we need another of these, if this should end up doing boffo BO-- as they probably don't say anymore. I sure as hell don't need to see any underground replicant uprising as was suggested here. Because that sounds like some Matrix sequel bullshit.[/quote]

I still like my "GMO food is turning humans into Replicants" idea.

But that only worked if they weren't leaning hard into the "slave workforce" idea.

If anyone's interested in discussing what's IN the film, 2049 shows a pretty interesting evolution of what the idea of "slave" means, or rather what it looks like to be a slave in this world.

In 2019 they were consigned to off-world positions, but had free will without question, kept in check by a 4-year lifespan.

In 2049 the slaves are subject to termination at will, but are allowed to live among humans side-by-side, are paid money for their work, and seem to hold a variety of jobs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pretzel View Post

-The Film felt weirdly devoid of humans/ population. Apart from some slightly crowded scenes in the first third, the were long stretches where we had only like 3 people around. It got so weird to me that i thought about the Blackout being a reason, or more people being off-world than i thought. Scenes like K watching the giant Joi advertisement towards the end had no one around inmidst that gigantic metropolis. Made the film feel small.

I mean, the point is, in the first one, if you are smart, strong or capable, you went off-world. It wasn't even a question of money. The world left behind is one of old people, invalids and those who prey on them.

K's apartment was actually quite offputting to me in that sense, as I very much imagined the world being slowly abandoned, much like J F Sebastian lives in an entire apartment block all to himself. The sparseness of it all (the Joi advert for example), felt much more fitting.

AI like how in the future, there are fully nude 50-foot holograms.
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release/100#post_4377852"]It did feel like an extended edition.

When the usher announced the running time before the movie started, standard practice at the Arclight, the audience groaned.

But they always groan.[/quote]

I should have got the half gallon soda! But I saved 25 cents by getting the full gallon! Damn you, bargains!

[quote name="flint" url="/community/t/159680/blade-runner-2049-post-release/100#post_4377890"]
I mean, the point is, in the first one, if you are smart, strong or capable, you went off-world. It wasn't even a question of money. The world left behind is one of old people, invalids and those who prey on them.

K's apartment was actually quite offputting to me in that sense, as I very much imagined the world being slowly abandoned, much like J F Sebastian lives in an entire apartment block all to himself. The sparseness of it all (the Joi advert for example), felt much more fitting.
[/quote]

The people left behind in the first movie have had a generation to have kids, and they're eating now thanks to the protein farms. I can see the city being inhabited again.

There's absolutely nothing in the film that indicates this out loud, but I imagined that the people hanging out in the hallway outside K's apartment were homeless squatters. They're verbally abusive to K, they paint anti-replicant epithets on his door. I didn't think they were just kicking a powerless man. I imagined that they resented him for having an address to call his own. They have no idea that his job requires him to take verbally and emotionally abusive tests just to stay alive, let alone to stay employed.

_
AI had two cocktails before the fillum, since I knew the running time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Pretzel View Post

Maybe i didn't care for it (and the dramatic importance of the moment when Joi is "killed") because i couldn't feel for Joi, because she was "just" an AI.

Oh and this, both for me and my missus. Oh no, they broke his seX-box. As far as motivations went, it felt really flat for me because I didn't really care for the emotional strings the film was trying to pull the entire time. I get what it was aiming for, an artificial human feeling love for another artificial human, but I just didn't care.

Perhaps because I'm an unfeeling monster, don't Voight-Kampf test me.

As was said above, Her did it better...

Still, sign me up for one when they come out.

AJoi looks like Lexi Belle.

Make sure you have Safe Search on when you Google Lexi Belle.
A
Quote:

Joi looks like Lexi Belle.

Make sure you have Safe Search on when you Google Lexi Belle.

Too late. You're disgusting.
Ashe kinda does!
AWould holo-hug.
Ayou kinda do!
AYou chewers who claim to have felt absolutely nothing when

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Poor JOI died[/SPOILER]

just might be textbook psychopaths. It was the only death in the movie that made me feel much of anything, aside from of course the final moments. Her barely squeezing in "I love yo-" got me. It got me deep man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

You chewers who claim to have felt absolutely nothing when
Poor JOI died

just might be textbook psychopaths. It was the only death in the movie that made me feel much of anything, aside from of course the final moments. Her barely squeezing in "I love yo-" got me. It got me deep man.

The point is: Does she love? Or is it just programmed, the same as Siri telling a joke?

What about Luv's tears?

When Wallace kills the newborn it seems like she can't hide her emotions.
When she kills Joshi, she cries too. But i don't think it's empathy, she never shows empathy for her in the rest of the scene, before or after killing her. So maybe it's just a programmed reaction to any human dying?
The film doesn't make it clear to me.

AI don't think it's a coincidence that the most human emotional connection K has to anyone is arguably the least human character in a film commenting on what it means to be human. I like it.
AIn the original, the Replicants are more emotionally available than the humans, and that carries over into this film.
AWho's definitively human here?
ADeckard and Deckard's dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

You chewers who claim to have felt absolutely nothing when

I just think it's important not to get too emotionally attached to your fleshlight, you know? I mean, would it have killed him to take a backup? USB sticks must be awesome and cheap in 2049. And once you start going down that line of thinking (which I inevitably do because I'm a tech nerd), it kind of loses it's oomph.

The finale moments didn't get me either. I kept expecting K to just start going on about "attack ships on fire off the shoulders of Orion" to no-one in particular it was such a callback.

Quote:

Deckard and Deckard's dog.

Did you ask the dog?