Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLADE RUNNER 2049 - POST Release
I would've liked it better if I were able to skim through all the slow scope shots faster. It had the same problem for me as The Revenant. Like okay I get it the scenery is nice GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!

I haven't seen the original in forever so I can't remember, was it as deliberately paced as this one?

Bored Runner
Git' in under mah belly!
This just hit HBOGO, excited to re-see it. I’ve spent far too long just rewatching YouTube clips.
SPOILERS: It's still great.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(06-05-2018, 02:04 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: I would've liked it better if I were able to skim through all the slow scope shots faster. It had the same problem for me as The Revenant.  Like okay I get it the scenery is nice GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!

I haven't seen the original in forever so I can't remember, was it as deliberately paced as this one?

Bored Runner

Oh yes, very much so. Especially if you’re watching one of the no-voiceover cuts (i.e., the objectively correct ones). So, so many long, quiet shots. It’s glorious.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
TBH, when I first watched I thought it was very style over substance. I actually fell asleep the first time and then carried on a couple of days later. My attitude was a bit meh.

Then I thought about having a SciFi day and watched the Ghost in the Shell remake and decided to give 2049 another go. It's an amazing movie. I'm a little confused still by the baseline testing, but that's me probably being an idiot. I know it's got something to do with the response time etc but for the life of me I'm still like WTF? I like the slow pace as it gives you some time to mull stuff over and get where it's going.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
If you like your film analysis with a heavy dose of philosophical, artistic, and literary references, you might enjoy this examination of the movie's text and subtext.

https://cinemadiscourse.com/blade-runner-2049/

Quote:In a way, Denis Villeneuve’s Blade Runner sequel takes the theme of Ridley Scott’s original film–the quest of the replicants to break free of their four year life span and to attain Transcendence from the temporal flow–and inverts it, for now the quest is for the replicants to attain the ability to reproduce sexually, and therefore to attain immanence rather than Transcendence. It is biology that is now becoming the extinct species as the planet is encased inside the brittle exoskeletal shell of exurban satellized technology. (The film, in imitation of Pollock’s action paintings, often takes the point of view of drones scanning abstract techno-landscapes).

. . .

Father Science is a product of the metaphysical age that extended from Plato and Yahweh down to Husserl and Heidegger. Niander Wallace is a perfect iconic transform of this metaphysical age archetype. The quest for the product of an unintended Immaculate Conception by Tyrell’s experiment in designing a new generation of replicants without fixed lifespans is the quest for biological corporeality in a world in which the City has become planetary in scale. The human frontal lobe, in other words, now seeks to become the force of biological creation itself.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
It's funny this thread came back because I just watched this for the first time yesterday. I kind of love it. This feels very Blade Runner post-Ghost in the Shell, (and Akira) which was interesting to see. It also feels like it has way more going on than the original movie. It also seems like it was specifically made for Ryan Gosling, with the history he brings to it with past roles in Lars and the Real Girl and Drive. There's something funny about when someone remakes on his expressionlessness that I can't imagine being nearly as good without knowledge of previous roles in things like Drive and Only God Forgives. While watching it I almost wished they played A Real Hero over that ending.

(06-05-2018, 06:22 AM)carnotaur3 Wrote: This just hit HBOGO, excited to re-see it. I’ve spent far too long just rewatching YouTube clips.

...except HBO crops films to 1:85. Maybe it's different for the app; I'll check tonight at home but it's my impression that films using the 2:35:1 aspect ratio get cropped to fill home screens.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
It's insane. It seems like they exclusively get 2:35 films so they can crop them down.
Yeah. I have Starz, HBO, Showtime, and EPIX and HBO is the only premium service that does this.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Yeah but some directors must get some control over that. While most of HBOs stuff is cropped I watched Dunkirk and that wasn't cropped. Still wasn't a good movie but it wasn't cropped. Nolan must have some kind of say.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Starz is really bad about it too.
Nice.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v...ip-1126696
I've been giving the soundtrack a listen. It's more Brian Eno than Vangelis, but it's interesting hearing that unique Blade Runner sound applied to a more or less different electronic subgenre - it's basically a Blade Runner ambient album.

Now that it's not completely bashing my eardrums in through the cinema speakers, I'm only just starting to appreciate what a phenomenal track Sea Wall is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujlXgBmUoU
One of the many miraculous things accomplished with the release of BR2049 was an amazing soundtrack that was a spiritual twin to the original amazing soundtrack.

Too bad Jared Leto SUCKED in Suicide Squad.