Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: Rebels -season 4

So, season 4 started this evening...

Cool little Rogue One prequel this two-parter. Like seeing just how antagonistic Saw was to the main Rebel Alliance.

AI really liked his conversation with Mon Mothma, particularly the visuals.

Dave Filoni is ready to transition to movies!

"I have an incredibly talented group of people working here. They’ve worked for me all 12 years that I’ve been here. So I feel indebted to them and want to keep creating work for them so they can use their abilities and tell great stories. I also want to keep pushing myself into areas that are challenging and new. I’ve had a lot of experience now interacting with live-action directors like Rian Johnson who’s been really wonderful to me and showing me what their production is like.

I want to celebrate stories, and it doesn’t matter what medium its in. I don’t care — big screen, small screen — I just need space to tell a story. And do it as best I can. That’s my goal in the end. So we’ll have to see what form that takes in the future. ...But let’s just put it this way. I learned from the best."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-rebels...1819877875

AHSOKA TANO: A STAR WARS STORY

MANDALORE: A STAR WARS STORY

They're burning through episodes very quickly this season.  My godson and I can barely keep up.

It's been solid so far.  More serialization than usual, which makes sense considering this is the last season.  The stuff with the wolves has been interesting, but I feel like the season needs a new villain.  Thrawn's barely been around, and someone a bit higher up the food chain would be better considering the stakes.

I was thinking 'I like how the Loth-wolves' feet look like the Spirit of the Forest's feet in Princess Mononoke' and then they straight up do a visual quote of the walking on water shot.

And that whole sequence was beautiful and surreal. The kind of weirdness that I'd like to see more of in Star Wars.

The visuals in this season have been absolutely beautiful.

http://www.starwars.com/video/disneyxd-r...el-assault

Trailer for the final episodes is below.  Cool thing is, they'll air two episodes a week for two weeks then finish things off with a one-night 90 minute episode.  Should be a fun rapid-fire wrap up to the series.   Can't wait to see where they leave these characters.

Hope they announce some kind of follow-up series soon.

AThey were doing two-a-week before they took the break. Really gave it some momentum.

I wonder if we'll see Ahsoka again before the end.

I wonder if the Mortis imagery in the trailer means that Ahsoka has somehow taken the Daughter's place and Ezra will take the place of the Son - I mean, dude straight-up talks to the Emperor in the trailer, how the fuck can he be around during the original trilogy?

Well, I knew that was coming, just didn't expect it this soon...

To be honest I didn't think they'd do it. I thought they'd use the Ahsoka loophole to explain why there aren't any other Jedi by the time of A New Hope.

And since there's no body I'm gonna hold out hope that he was thrown clear of the blast. I want Kanan and Hera to have a happy ending, goddammit!

(I say this knowing full well that it's not going to happen. Kanan's eyes clearing so he could see Hera one last time made it pretty goddamn clear that he wasn't going to show up as anything other than maybe a force ghost before the end of the series).

AMy money's on him being a new Loth Wolf.

...So, uh.... that happened.

If Dave Filoni introduced time travel into the GFFA just to save Ahsoka he can go fuck himself.

Does it really change anything, though? We already knew she was alive from the closing shots of Season 2.

I dunno. I just have very mixed feelings in terms of opening that particular door in SW, and part of it gets to the overall thematic thrusts of the series (especially its current incarnation).

SW, to me, is very much about two central concepts:

1. Generational change and conflict - whether the struggle between father and son, the coding of the old Empire/young Rebels, the moribund Jedi Order of the PT, the notion of "We are what they grow beyond", and etc.

1. The nature and meaning of sacrifice - there from Obi-Wan's death in ANH, and currently explicitly coming to the forefront in Rogue One/TLJ/Rebels in some very interesting ways.

At the ultimate convergence point between these two concepts, it's about learning to let go and move beyond, attaining a state of grace by recognizing that you can't hold on, that all things pass into the Force. And to do that, things have to keep moving forward.

What they did in Rebels - having all points in time exist simultaneously in the Force - is a very intriguing notion and I like it, in theory. The more primal, mythological, and mysterious the Force is, the better IMO. And it's also another cool way of showing how all things are unified in the Force.

My concern is that time travel - if misapplied - inherently destabilizes SW as a forward-moving narrative when that's *what it is*. Time travel, on the other hand, offers the possibility of freezing things. It reverses and changes the direction of the narrative in ways that I'm not sure the themes of the series can work in concert with. One hopes the story group/upper management at LFL lets them only use it with the utmost care (the temple at Lothal being destroyed certainly aligns with that).

I think Filoni's take on SW does a good job of recognizing the "sacrifice"/letting go side of SW (even as his interviews make it sound like he's putting his enjoyment of characters like Ahsoka and Ezra above the story - kill your darlings, Dave!), and this episode even used time travel in service of that (Ezra recognizing he had to let Kanan go) but I don't think he really recognizes the generational aspects of the series.

Essentially, each generation has to save the galaxy in its own way, and also fuck things up along the way for the next generation to give it a try. They make some of the same mistakes, and they make new ones, and learn that they didn't know everything, and teach the next generation about success, and about failure too, and then pass on into the Force. This is inherent to the DNA of Star Wars.

What's not inherent (and, indeed, actively works against that) is a do-over switch. Even if this was an always-closed loop, it's still edging up against territory that makes me uncomfortable. It's not quite the ultimate in lines I don't want to see SW cross (the ultimate one: crossovers w/ other fictional universes), but I just hope there's a very, very clear line drawn about this kind of thing.

I don't think that the World Between Worlds is necessarily an inherent part of the Force.

I missed the boat on Clone Wars, so all my knowledge of the Mortis Gods is coming from wookiepedia, but wasn't part of their whole deal making sure that the flow of time remained correct? To that end I think the WBW was an early construct of theirs from before the Father realized they could destroy the universe and sealed the whole family off, and it was clearly the will of the Force for Ezra to make sure that nobody could use it ever again. It also means that this was probably an idea that Filoni had been toying with and setting up for a while. (And if this tweet from Pablo Hidalgo is any indication, the Story Group signed off on this a while ago).

Also Rebels Recon where they go a bit into just how early they started setting this up (it was way early):

A major moment in this episode is Ezra choosing not to alter a past event because of the possibility of the results being even more damaging if he does.  I don't think they're looking at time travel as some kind of easy reset button.

Yeah, i don't know how I feel about that finale. In fact, there's a fair bit I actively dislike.

The sequence with Palpatine ruled, though. And I do like where Hera, Zeb, and Kallus end up.
Yeah, it didn't reach the highs of some of the other stuff they've done. Maybe they should've held Kanan's death for the finale and used those episodes to give Thrawn something to do. Felt like the rebels just decided on a whim to go all-in one plan. Which might've worked if they played up the planning angle or were if reacting to some overt threat.

Not sure that I buy the Empire just turning tail and staying away. I'd have thought they'd at least bombard the planet from space or something.

I did like a lot of it, I just wish they'd put more care into making it feel like something the series had built towards.

The epilogue was great though. Hope there's some kind of follow-up series/movie/game/comic announced asap.
If you look at the timing though, things with the Rebellion are about to pick up. The Empire likely has bigger fish to fry than try to take back an annoyance like Lothal. Besides, the big thing on Lothal was the TIE Defender project, which we already saw was probably getting shelved in favor of the Death Star. And after Pryce blew up her own fuel depot, a lot of the infrastructure for that project went up in flames anyway. Not that the Empire is above crushing the planet out of spite, but they probably figured the whole thing is a waste of resources at this point.

I really enjoyed the finale. I thought it worked as a great wrap-up for Rebels without putting anything in concrete that would cause problems for any future stories. You can still have the Rebels crew do all kinds of things during the Rebellion. Ezra and Ahsoka are safely out of the picture for the duration of the OT. Hell, you even have Thrawn set for his Heir to the Empire return if you really want to cling to that happening. Plus seeing the clones fighting alongside a Jedi again was a nice bow on the Clone Wars series too.

Can I please get my Adventures of Sabine and Ahsoka the White now?
Just this guy, you know?
Yeah, with both the Jedi Temple and the TIE Defender project destroyed Lothal doesn't have any real strategic significance. And the battle of Scarif is only a few months away, at which point the Imperial war machine is in open war with the Rebellion, so taking back some backwater that the Rebel Alliance isn't based on isn't high on the agenda.
(03-06-2018, 10:36 AM)richard dickson Wrote: If you look at the timing though, things with the Rebellion are about to pick up.  The Empire likely has bigger fish to fry than try to take back an annoyance like Lothal.  Besides, the big thing on Lothal was the TIE Defender project, which we already saw was probably getting shelved in favor of the Death Star.  And after Pryce blew up her own fuel depot, a lot of the infrastructure for that project went up in flames anyway.  Not that the Empire is above crushing the planet out of spite, but they probably figured the whole thing is a waste of resources at this point.

I really enjoyed the finale.  I thought it worked as a great wrap-up for Rebels without putting anything in concrete that would cause problems for any future stories.  You can still have the Rebels crew do all kinds of things during the Rebellion.  Ezra and Ahsoka are safely out of the picture for the duration of the OT.  Hell, you even have Thrawn set for his Heir to the Empire return if you really want to cling to that happening.  Plus seeing the clones fighting alongside a Jedi again was a nice bow on the Clone Wars series too.

Can I please get my Adventures of Sabine and Ahsoka the White now?

Honestly, I do have a problem with this, and I seriously hope that there are no survivors revealed from Luke's Academy (aside from those who went with Kylo) down the line.

It really, really feels like Ahsoka has reached the end of her character arc - her conclusion in S2 of Rebels felt like a perfect goodbye to her character (promising not to leave Anakin like she did when she turned her back on the Jedi Order back in the day), and having her around at all- even if out of commission - during the OT does feel weird. You're telling me Yoda or ghost-Obi-Wan can't tell Luke to go pick her up on Malachor, or did they not tell Luke about her until after he found out Vader was his father? Dick move if so, guys! I dunno.  I guess it would be interesting to see her interact with Luke and Leia - I wonder if they're going to have Ahsoka be the one to tell them about Padme. That might make for a cool scene. But that's about it.

As for Ezra - maybe my disinterest in that resolution compounds from not being particularly invested in Ezra anyway. So it feels to me like jumping through hoops to keep a very bland character around.

Filoni talks a lot about how he learned from Lucas, but Lucas was willing to kill off Ben in ANH because he realized Ben was standing around serving no purpose in the third act. Not only is "kill your darlings" a fundamental writing truism for a reason, it really is a critical part of the DNA of SW.

Re: Lothal, I figure that Scarif must've happened, like, within a month (though some of the timing in the last episodes re: debating the Defenders versus the Death Star makes that confusing) otherwise, yeah, one would think Tarkin at least would've had the planet bombed from orbit out of sheer spite. Hell, maybe Lothal was going to be a stop on the Death Star's galactic tour before Yavin put a stop to that.

At this point, I would like to see other voices than Filoni get a crack at SW animation and TV. He's turned out some good stuff, but I think this corner of SW could do with an injection of fresh ideas, and riskier ones.
Obi-Wan and Yoda have no way of knowing Ahsoka is even alive. Why would they tell Luke about her?
Just this guy, you know?
I suppose it depends on how powerful you think Obi-Wan is as a Force Ghost (which is mostly what I was thinking of) - if once he's dead his senses are boundless and he's able to tap into the deeper Force, he should be able to know she's alive. And Yoda was in Force contact with Ezra, after all. He can't sense Ahsoka is alive?

But that's fanwank, I know. It just feels like the story is jumping through so many hoops to keep these characters alive but out of the action.
This is the story of How I Met Your Jedi.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
We got the finale here in Canada a week later for some reason but that's par for the course.

It was a bloody great and damn I got a little emotional in spots because these characters have gone through so much and damn I also want to see Sabine and Ahsoka's Search for Ezra. Which I'm betting is going to set up the next animated series.

I'm going to miss REBELS a lot but I'm excited to see what Filoni does next in the SW universe.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
This is the final season of this show, right? Trying to avoid spoilers, as I'm currently making my way through it, and curious if they were able to appropriately wrap it up (e.g. Clone Wars).
Yeah, this was the last season.