Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLASS pre-release thread

And your first image of Mister Glass:

Purple and Dapper. And old.

Still keeping the Frederick Douglas look I see.

AReally, it shouldn’t ever change!
AAmazing! Exactly how he should look

He looks like a superhero or supervillain.

Have to give it to Shyamalan. I thought he was toast for years on end but Split seemed to bring him back. We'll see here. If Glass is a grand slam he's back in the public's goodwill, I imagine. It's interesting because Unbreakable was probably his most underrated/under-seen film of his first several that were good, and now he's using Split to resuscitate that world and potentially make it hugely profitable.

Shyamalan may even consider making this an ongoing franchise of sorts for a while, a kind of "superhero counter-programming" versus MCU, DC, etc.

He should bring in characters from all his films, honestly.

Bruce Willis the Ghost from Sixth Sense joins. So does an Alien from Signs. The mermaid or whatever it was from Lady in the Water. And of course, a Tree from The Happening.

The shared Shyamalamaverse

AWhat M Night did was sneak an Unbreakable trilogy onto the public. It was brilliant.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post

If Glass is a grand slam he's back in the public's goodwill

He's already back in the public's goodwill.  Split did very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

He's already back in the public's goodwill.  Split did very well.

Seemed as though Universal kept Shyamalan's involvement as little more than an afterthought. But I do agree that obviously most people who saw the film, and there were many of them, gave Shyamalan kudos afterward.

I guess what I mean is that Shyamalan's films will become hotly anticipated for a lot of moviegoers again in a way that they haven't been in roughly a decade. He had to put together this low-budget comeback but he's almost home now. It's a pretty good story unto itself.

A[quote name="NoirHeaven" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread#post_4400780"]He looks like a superhero or supervillain. 

Have to give it to Shyamalan. I thought he was toast for years on end but Split seemed to bring him back. We'll see here. If Glass is a grand slam he's back in the public's goodwill, I imagine. It's interesting because Unbreakable was probably his most underrated/under-seen film of his first several that were good, and now he's using Split to resuscitate that world and potentially make it hugely profitable. 

Shyamalan may even consider making this an ongoing franchise of sorts for a while, a kind of "superhero counter-programming" versus MCU, DC, etc.
[/quote]

The Visit did really well for him that probably gave him the money for Spilt.

Visit did 100M on 4-5M budget.

Anyway, looking forward to do and it's going to be lower budget like his last two. He said it's a small movie with big ideas. Gotta believe they are all taking points to get the budget low.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoirHeaven View Post

Seemed as though Universal kept Shyamalan's involvement as little more than an afterthought. But I do agree that obviously most people who saw the film, and there were many of them, gave Shyamalan kudos afterward.

I guess what I mean is that Shyamalan's films will become hotly anticipated for a lot of moviegoers again in a way that they haven't been in roughly a decade. He had to put together this low-budget comeback but he's almost home now. It's a pretty good story unto itself.

This movie is hotly anticipated.  And Split was touted as a Shyamalan project from the beginning.  It was never hidden.  That movie became a huge deal because The Visit was part of Night's comeback, and Split made it official especially since it became known as "the secret Unbreakable sequel, and its great!" and that pretty much sealed it.  "he's almost home now"?  I would say he's not only home, but has his slippers on and is getting his pipe ready.  Of course Glass being good would further cement his comeback, but the idea that he has anything left to prove is kind of bizarre.

I hate The Visit so much. And hate that kid and his rap so much. But Split is great, 80% because of McAvoy.

I don't think it's bizarre to be a tad skeptical that M. Night has fully returned to form. He has made a LOT of stinkers since Signs, which in and of itself wasn't a great movie in my opinion. Split was good, it had problems, but it was a good flick. I hope for the best for Glass and his future projects after that.

Aas long as he keeps GLASS a small movie, I have faith!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp View Post

I don't think it's bizarre to be a tad skeptical that M. Night has fully returned to form. He has made a LOT of stinkers since Signs, which in and of itself wasn't a great movie in my opinion. Split was good, it had problems, but it was a good flick. I hope for the best for Glass and his future projects after that.

Well think about it.  He's made about as many bad movies as good ones, so there really is no "fully returning to form".  He could just as likely make another stinker and then he's back out of form again.  The terms doesn't make alot of sense to me.  He's just a great filmmaker capable of making bad movies like anybody else.

I mean, I won't get into semantics about it. For me M. Night is a talented but iffy filmmaker who had a long bad streak. I don't personally classify him as a "great filmmaker," not yet, but we can call this spade differently and that's fine.

A[quote name="User_32" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread#post_4401040"]I hate The Visit so much. And hate that kid and his rap so much. But Split is great, 80% because of McAvoy.
[/quote]

Why? I think it's such a fun goofy Night movie. I didn't even see the twist coming. I gave up on him and didn't see anything after Happening, so I went in with low expectations and dug the hell out of it. He clearly is having fun and it radiates.
AMy problem with Night has always been his clunky scripts. He can create atmosphere, but he can't write convincing dialogue or characters to save his life.
A[quote name="Draco Senior" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread#post_4401382"]My problem with Night has always been his clunky scripts. He can create atmosphere, but he can't write convincing dialogue or characters to save his life.[/quote]

Disagree so much. He can write wonderful dialogue and great characters just needs the right actors. Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, and Split have great characters. That's not a fair criticism.

I'll even throw in The Village.

I think M. Night is great with dialogue. He pushes the boundaries though with stuff like The Village, which he tries to imagine a world where a History teacher who has never lived in the 1800's attempts to force an old time speech in a modern day society he created. Comes across very silly. There was some unusual dialogue he gave Graham Hess in Signs that irked me at times, but the rest of that movies does a good job I feel.

The thing about dialogue is I don't think he writes every day speak. And I don't think a writer should attempt to go all out mumble-core. Movie dialogue has its own life where a writer can have a little bit of flowery while not polarizing the audience.

AHalf of his characters sound like alien creatures wearing human skin and attempting to mimic speech. It works well enough in a film like The Village because the unnaturalness is the point, but it pulls me out of Signs, The Happening, and (ugh) The Last Airbender. It's not that his dialogue is flowery, it's that it often comes across as stiff and amateur.
ADisagree. A lot of his characters sound to me how people think they sound like.

Like, if you asked me to write down my own dialogue from today, I think my dialogue would sound like M. Night wrote it.

Not that I actually sound like that, you understand. But that's why I think his dialogue works.
AI know what Draco’s talking about, and he’s not “wrong,” but the difference is I like it. Except when it goes too far, like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2GrHPHZCWU

Yeah, it's supposed to be cute talk.

Agod that scene is so WEIRD
AIt was weird in the context of the whole movie.

all of a sudden it felt like CLERKS

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasp View Post

I mean, I won't get into semantics about it. For me M. Night is a talented but iffy filmmaker who had a long bad streak. I don't personally classify him as a "great filmmaker," not yet, but we can call this spade differently and that's fine.

I don't think anybody can write and direct The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs and not be a great filmmaker.  It's virtually impossible.  No mediocre filmmaker makes those kinds of movies.  I'll give a little leeway on Signs, because it's not perfect, but Unbreakable and especially The Sixth Sense are undeniably amazing films that don't come along often.

Guys like DePalma, Coppola, Lucas, Friedkin, etc. etc. have made some absolute stinkers.  Great filmmakers are totally capable of missing the mark.

If he's looking to keep the budget low, he can just end the film with a title card like he did for Unbreakable.

*fart sound*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Disagree. A lot of his characters sound to me how people think they sound like.

Like, if you asked me to write down my own dialogue from today, I think my dialogue would sound like M. Night wrote it.

Not that I actually sound like that, you understand. But that's why I think his dialogue works.

Has anyone ever seen a David Mamet movie?  Something by PT Anderson?  Tarantino?  Sorkin?  Their dialogue sounds absolutely ridiculous on paper, but in the context of the specific world they create it makes total sense.  In Night's world, his dialogue (for the most part) makes sense.

AIn the context of a world where human conversation is drawn out, stilted, and mimicked by aliens in human skin, I suppose.

Night can do atmosphere. He's hit and miss when it comes to writing convincing characters and dialogue. This is why I've always struggled to appreciate Signs despite it being a pretty well crafted film.
AI’ve loved Signs since I first saw it. A really charming approach to the material with heartfelt family dynamics.
AThere's a great version of Signs out there that removes the irritating Joaquin Phoenix character and dials down the too cute by half kids.