Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLASS pre-release thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco Senior View Post

He's hit and miss when it comes to writing convincing characters and dialogue.

I still think you're up creek without a paddle on this opinion.  For most people the dialogue in Night's early films is great, or at the very least work enough not to call attention to itself.  Again, have you seen David Mamet's films?  His dialogue is even more stylized, and would not in any way shape or form be mistaken for the way people talk, but it works perfectly well for the types of worlds he creates.  Same with Sorkin.  Do you like Sorkin's films?

ASure, Sorkin's dialogue is stylized, but it's almost always fun to hear it spoken in his films. There's a richness and level of insight that few other writers can match. Even granting that he's not using real human speech, Night's dialogue is awkward to listen to and rarely has any spark. I cringe more often than I feel inspiration or other deep sentiments.

It's like he tried to parody these tendencies in The Last Airbender with some of the flattest and least plausible writing ever committed to film, which was one of the few joys in that otherwise wretched endeavor.
Quote:

Night's dialogue is awkward to listen to and rarely has any spark.

See I don't agree with that (about his early films) and nor do alot of people, but it's coming down to personal opinion, so that's fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

See I don't agree with that (about his early films) and nor do alot of people, but it's coming down to personal opinion, so that's fine.

If he had said "I find his dialogue awkward, blah blah other-wrong-stuff blah blah" then it's personal opinion.  When he says, "it is IS awkward," now it's an objective viewpoint.

ASemantics.
Quote:

Semantics.

McRib.

Fake news.

and fake rib

AI agree with Ambler most of my favorite dialogue writers sound ridiculous on paper. Anything by QT or Mamet in particular, but it works. Watch Mamet's Spanish Prisoner the way they even deliver the dialogue is in no way how normal people converse, but of course it works in the context of his movies. Sure Night has some clunky dialogue but nothing in SS, Unbreakable, and Signs is clunky or out of place.
ATarantino's dialogue would definitely come out atrocious with the wrong actor. I think he's said he can only cast actors that are able to deliver his dialogue in the "Tarantino" way with Sam Jackson being the master at it.

It's why there's great actors who probably could never be in a Tarantino movie.
A[quote name="User_32" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/30#post_4402243"]Tarantino's dialogue would definitely come out atrocious with the wrong actor. I think he's said he can only cast actors that are able to deliver his dialogue in the "Tarantino" way with Sam Jackson being the master at it.

It's why there's great actors who probably could never be in a Tarantino movie.[/quote]

Oh, for sure. For the life of me I can't understand how the hell the actor can remember the long lines of dialogue they deliver. Sometimes a page long.
A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/30#post_4402245"]
Oh, for sure. For the life of me I can't understand how the hell the actor can remember the long lines of dialogue they deliver. Sometimes a page long.[/quote]

Repetition.

I once had to memorize a full page of theater dialogue for 7 page scene for acting class. Hardest thing I ever did... that is until I performed Chekov’s The Bear.
AIt's the rhythm of it too. Inflections in certain areas. That's why Tarantino doesn't allow any changes in his dialogue.

I'm one of the few The Village defenders around here. It's a gorgeous movie with moving performances and an unexpected turn when

Joaquin Phoenix gets stabbed and sidelined at the midpoint.

The twist also works for me.

So really, it's only The Happening that's a slight on Shyamalan for me, as I never saw Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender or After Earth (and never plan to). The Happening is a piece of shit, but Shyamalan seems to be back on his game.

So bring on Glass!

The Village is really well made. The story is gimmicky garbage, saw the twist coming from a mile away and hated it, especially since Night had kind of staked his name on twists by that point and this one was just so... ugh. But yeah, it's a well-shot movie, good on the tech and design stuff. After that his films even started going downhill in those departments, too. you can tell The Happening and Lady in the Water aren't cheap... but they still feel like it. Like all the experienced crew making them were just secretly thinking, "What the hell are we doing."

Airbender is just anonymous and pointless. Same goes for After Earth.

So yeah the scorecard for me is really good (The Sixth Sense), pretty good (Unbreakable, Signs, Split), not good (The Village), bad (Lady in the Water, Airbender, After Earth), and so bad it's hilarious (The Happening). Have not seen The Visit, but it was quite the bad streak M. Night was on until Split.

The biggest thing missing from his new Blumhouse films is a James Newton Howard score. No matter his hits or misses, the score was always something that stood out as special. Split, much more generic score. I don't know if it's been announced yet or not but I'm praying Howard is his composer for Glass. It would be such a shame if he doesn't return.

I assume he didn't compose Split for budgetary reasons? Too expensive?

My assumption was that not hiring Howard for SPLIT was a conscious decision to keep its Unbreakable connection hidden... but it being a budgetary concern is a good point.

I also hope that Howard is brought back for GLASS.

A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/30#post_4402263"]I'm one of the few The Village defenders around here. It's a gorgeous movie with moving performances and an unexpected turn when
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Joaquin Phoenix gets stabbed and sidelined at the midpoint.[/SPOILER]
The twist also works for me.

So really, it's only The Happening that's a slight on Shyamalan for me, as I never saw Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender or After Earth (and never plan to). The Happening is a piece of shit, but Shyamalan seems to be back on his game. 

So bring on Glass! 
[/quote]

Same. Never saw anything from him after the Happening and before Visit. I just figured he'd never got back and just wrote him off. That changed with The Visit of course.
AThe Village gets by with Howard’s amazing score and the breakout performances by Bryce and Pheonix.

If they don’t bring back Howard for Glass I may cry.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnotaur3 View Post

If they don’t bring back Howard for Glass I may cry.

I will cry with you.

AJames Newton Howard's gorgeous scores are the one aspect of an M. Night film that can always be relied on.

The Last Airbender is one of the most crushing experiences I have ever had in a movie theater, but it sure sounds pretty.

yes, but will you cry with carno and me?

I may shed an appropriately manly tear or two.

What I've always found slightly 'odd' about James Newton Howard is that he mostly seems to let loose like this only for M. Night Movies.

His work often comes across more subdued and not as memorable for his many other scores for other films.  But maybe that's just me.

AYeah, I've definitely noticed that. I wouldn't say his non-Night scores are bad (The Fugitive, Snow Falling on Cedars, etc. are great), but he seems to swing for the fences less often.

He just loves M Night.

You might catch them in bed together.

Quote:

He just loves M Night.

You might catch them in bed together.

ANight Twitter:

Spent last two days in the editing room deciding what shots I need to get or redo in the last week on #Glass.
AI hope the movie isn’t #Broken from bad editing decisions on #Glass

Kind of crazy that this film is essentially entering postproduction now and won't be out for another 14 months. But I understand the whys.

AMaybe they will move the release up to Halloween next year.
A[quote name="NoirHeaven" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/60#post_4411607"]Kind of crazy that this film is essentially entering postproduction now and won't be out for another 14 months. But I understand the whys.
[/quote]

They should take their time to craft the edit.
AAnd hire Joss Whedon to half-remake it.
ABrad that’s a terrible idea. It ignores that they need Snyder to start shooting.
Quote:

Sure, I don't mind waiting.

Quote:

yes just like lonergan did with margaret!