Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLASS pre-release thread
AKeep in mind, I liked "Split," so this could go either way for me. I want it to be good because I want every movie to be good. Or at least shitty in a way that I find appealing.

I liked Split too. But it didn't feel the same as Unbreakable, which I loved. Bad for you, good for me, but I hope it feels more Unbreakable than Split.

I loved both Split and Unbreakable because I'm simply fabulous.

ARejoice!
AI'm hoping there's a moody cover of "Heart of Glass" that plays over the trailer.

I liked the first 2/3's of Unbreakable!

AWell, then you basically liked the whole movie.

Wink

Unbreakable was aight. It felt like a slow build to something major, but the ending never worked for me that way. So overall I get a bit bored with it.

Split was far from perfect but it was a neat movie overall, clever in ways that were actually entertaining and interesting and not just M. Night M.Night-ing it up. I definitely prefer it.

That said, Unbreakable tries to tap into mythos and our ideas about heroism and villainy in a way that has more potential and scope than Split's screwing around with tropes and identity disorder conceit, so as far as Glass is concerned I am hoping for an even, yes, SPLIT (AHAHAahaaaauhh) between what the two prior movies gave us, combined into something that is consistently entertaining and has some narrative momentum but is also interesting thematically and a cool subversion of the comic book movie (and what better time to do that now, in the Era of the Comic Book movie? Unbreakable should have come out several years later than it did).

A[quote name="wasp" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/90#post_4465354"]Unbreakable was aight. It felt like a slow build to something major, but the ending never worked for me that way. So overall I get a bit bored with it.
[/quote]

You're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I cannot follow.
A[quote name="neil spurn" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/90#post_4465284"]I liked the first 2/3's of Unbreakable!
[/quote]

But that final fight (and the pool scene) is the best superhero fight scene we've ever gotten even after 3 Batman films, a dozen Marvel films, and a handful of D.C. films.

It's a single shot that has more tension, sacrifice, and triumph than anything these SFX heavy films have given us.

He kills a man. And you feel it. And it's necessary. And you feel that too. And James Newton Howard brings it home.

Still can't believe Unbreakable is 18 years old.  Wow!

Recently watched it and it has aged incredible well.  Ahead of it's time for sure.

A[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/90#post_4465372"]
But that final fight (and the pool scene) is the best superhero fight scene we've ever gotten even after 3 Batman films, a dozen Marvel films, and a handful of D.C. films.

It's a single shot that has more tension, sacrifice, and triumph than anything these SFX heavy films have given us.

He kills a man. And you feel it. And it's necessary. And you feel that too. And James Newton Howard brings it home.[/quote]

That’s all true! But his weakness is water. Water! Which he’s mostly composed of! As is the planet he lives on.

Edit: um, spoilers. Sorry.
A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/90#post_4465392"]Still can't believe Unbreakable is 18 years old. 
[/quote]

Naw. This can't be true.
AI remember that I was in film college when Unbreakable came out. A classmate of mine had seen it and was like, "It's, uh... it's a comic book movie." He said it with such disgust, like he'd bern hoodwinked into watching his parents have sex.

The year 2000 was such a different time. Comic book movies, ew!
Aand now we have so much comic book movies!

comic book movies!

ew!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Nights twitter:

Just came back from LA where I showed 12mins of #Glass to @Universalpics & @Disneystudios. Very gracious reaction. #comicbookthriller

Interesting that Disney is still part of the equation.  I wonder if screening footage for them was a polite formality, or if Disney is somehow more involved than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belloq87 View Post

Interesting that Disney is still part of the equation.  I wonder if screening footage for them was a polite formality, or if Disney is somehow more involved than that.

Of course.  Touchstone was a producer for Unbreakable and Night had to get permission to use the charecters for Split and Glass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I remember that I was in film college when Unbreakable came out. A classmate of mine had seen it and was like, "It's, uh... it's a comic book movie." He said it with such disgust, like he'd bern hoodwinked into watching his parents have sex.

The year 2000 was such a different time. Comic book movies, ew!

I think the marketing tried to bill it as another Sixth Sense.  People didn't know what the hell to make of it back then.

It wasn't even a comic book movie that anybody knew.  It's in QT's top 10 of all time and he often said the marketing sucked and it should've been billed as what if superman didn't know he was superman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

He kills a man. And you feel it. And it's necessary. And you feel that too. And James Newton Howard brings it home.

I get goosebumps when the Orange Man throws David into the wall.

A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/90#post_4465439"]I remember that I was in film college when Unbreakable came out. A classmate of mine had seen it and was like, "It's, uh... it's a comic book movie." He said it with such disgust, like he'd bern hoodwinked into watching his parents have sex.

The year 2000 was such a different time. Comic book movies, ew![/quote]

I remember my girlfriends parents, who were big moviegoers, thinking the idea was absurd!

[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/120#post_4465466"]
I get goosebumps when the Orange Man throws David into the wall.
[/quote]

[Image: giphy.gif]
A[quote name="ShaunH" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/120#post_4465480"]
I remember my girlfriends parents[/quote]

"Girlfriends," plural?
AYes Brad, Shaun was a two timer.
AI’m a dog, a no good, dirty dog.

POWAH!

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/159763/glass-pre-release-thread/120#post_4465493"]

POWAH!
[/quote]

Just tell me that's not better than Chitauri, Iron Monger, Whiplash, Red Skull, Vulture, Bane, Ultron, Loki, Steppenwolf, Ares, Mandarin, Doc Ock, Zod, Green Goblin, or any other CGI-enhanced pixelated throwdown this Age of Superheroes has given us on the silver screen.

THATS what a fight with stakes and emotional investment looks like.

And a great score.

I dunno.

I think the

"I have a father.  His name was Ben Parker." confrontation was really nice

and the doc ock train fight leading to the stopping of the train

hahahahahaha bane

hehehehe, the on-the-noseness of the waitress wondering about Mr Glass is so goofywonderful.... the way she just goes "oh yeahhhhhh" and walks off

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD had better come back for GLASS!!!

trying to look up info about him returning, and I found this:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/t...b=comments

(posting the relevant posts like a conversation)

Quote:

With Glass in post-production while Howard is on tour, I fear he may not be returning. 

Isn't that supposed to come out in 2019?

IMDB says it's filming. I don't see why JNH wouldn't be returning.

Shyamalan tweeted a few days ago that filming wrapped. Not sure if it has a release window yet, but surely 2019 is too far off. 

JNH is returning for Glass. A friend and I asked him at a talk he did in London. He said that he liked what West Dylan Thordson did with Split and so Thordson will be doing Glass, but JNH's exact words were; "I'm not sure how much I'll be contributing, but I'll be doing something."

Disappointing

Quite. The only musical noteworthy contribution to 'Split' was a score from 17 years prior.

It would be a dream if he scored it, but I pretty much had a bad feeling that he wouldn't, so to hear that he will be doing something with the score is at least a positive thing.

Yeah but realistically what will that amount to, a theme?

Obviously Shymalayan has moved on ('Split' was a sizeable hit that should have allowed him the budget to hire JNH) which is a shame. 'Unbreakable' was/is a great score to build on.

aw...

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with the argument that David vs. Orange Man is the best overall fight in this greater genre, so to speak. It's kind of cool that Unbreakable's sequels are coming out at what may be (?) the peak of this era of comic book movies, as Marvel unleashes Avengers: Infnity War and its sequel, we have trilogies for Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Wonder Woman became massive, Black Panther is coming out, etc., etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD had better come back for GLASS!!!

trying to look up info about him returning, and I found this:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/t...b=comments

(posting the relevant posts like a conversation)

aw...

I still think JNH ends up doing it.  He's done every Shyamalan film except the most recent two, which were ultra-low-budget affairs.

AI truly hope so.

I hope the amount of time until release makes it possible for Howard to make the time to do it.

Depends what the budget is. Night said it's a small movie with big ideas.  Perhaps Universal and Disney will kick in some $$$ after he showed him the 12min footage.  No idea?

Is Night footing the bill again like he did on The Visit and Split?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccc View Post

Depends what the budget is. Night said it's a small movie with big ideas.  Perhaps Universal and Disney will kick in some $$$ after he showed him the 12min footage.  No idea?

Is Night footing the bill again like he did on The Visit and Split?

I think Blumhouse is technically financing the film.

I would be stunned if they didn't supply a few extra bucks to meet Howard's fee (provided scheduling works out).

Looks like Disney is taking international and Blumhouse controls domestic.

The budget for Unbreakable was 75 million dollars.  Hey, I love the film to death (top five superhero all time, maybe top three, would hear arguments for top two), but I can only assume that Bruce Willis was paid 60+ million.

**As for Split being the first supervillain origin story, ehhhhhh.  X: Men First Class should basically have been retitled "The Rise of Magneto."  I guess "exclusively" is the kicker.  Catwoman and Elektra are anti-heroines, or villains (Catwoman leans more towards the villain spectrum, IMHO).

Night's tweet:

Editing #Glass almost 2/3 done 1st pass. It takes about 10-11 weeks for me to do 1st pass. That's 6-8 hours a day editing.  #noshortcuts

The tweet right after talks about living with his composer as they edit.  I don't think it's Howard.

AWhy is this film coming out next year?