Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JUSTICE LEAGUE Post-Release Discussion
AShorter than MAN OF STEEL, more coherent than SUICIDE SQUAD, and considerably more focused than BATMAN V SUPERMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE nevertheless manages to be a bit of a disappointment. It's a wet firecracker of a movie, all of its energy sucked away by studio brass fearful of backlash.

Heroes are recruited. A(n infinitely boring) villain is battled. It's fine. Nobody's going to find equivalent "Martha" joke-fodder in this movie.

But you know what? The "Martha" plot point, for all its silliness, came from a movie that had a lot on its mind. And the only thing JUSTICE LEAGUE has on its mind is the filmmakers (and I'd say this film is more the product of Warner Bros. executives than either Zack Snyder or Joss Whedon) begging you not to hate it.

And hey, I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it all that much, either.
Ayou will not stop me...

justice league will become more successful than either of us!!!
AOhhhh now this promises to be interesting.
AAre there two post-release threads for this? If so, which is the one with fewer dicks who have no intention of ever seeing it?
A[quote name="Bradito" url="/community/t/159778/justice-league-post-release-discussion#post_4404321"]Are there two post-release threads for this? If so, which is the one with fewer dicks who have no intention of ever seeing it?[/quote]
I should go post in the other one just to even things out.
AThis movie is unforgivably boring.

Tell us more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

This movie is unforgivably boring.

It really is pretty boring.  I over-dramatically yawned last night and it was not on purpose.

AThe important question is, Will I like it?
A3 1/2 stars in local paper! I wonder what Oscar this DC masterpiece will take home?
AThe Dark Shape, is this a different cut of the movie than you initially saw?

"I feel Ezra Miller is not being respectful of the fan-base for the character. He needs to be reigned in. His powers look so cool but he's obviously made the creative decision that his Barry Allen runs funny. He kind of kicks his feet out like a child. Why would Barry Allen not know how to run? Maybe Ezra Miller doesn't know how to run but then someone on set would have said ' Someone needs to teach him how to run because this is bad'."

That's from a video review I just watched. Dark Shape can you confirm if this is true??

ADoes he run like Steven Seagal?

or Tom Cruise?

What percentage of Cavil's scenes have the weird CGI thing going on?  Based on reviews, I've resigned myself to liking this movie enough that this glaring flaw will annoy the hell out of me.  Why not just add a weird Obi Wan beard?  Seems like it'd be easier to add a convincing CGI beard than fucking re-drawing his upper lip.

I'm flashing back to Ray Winstone's creepy CGI waste in that Crystal Skull trailer where they removed the guns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post

What percentage of Cavil's scenes have the weird CGI thing going on?  Based on reviews, I've resigned myself to liking this movie enough that this glaring flaw will annoy the hell out of me.  Why not just add a weird Obi Wan beard?  Seems like it'd be easier to add a convincing CGI beard than fucking re-drawing his upper lip.

I'm flashing back to Ray Winstone's creepy CGI waste in that Crystal Skull trailer where they removed the guns.

Wait, what?  Did Cavil get a lip tattoo or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

Wait, what?  Did Cavil get a lip tattoo or something?

The re-shoots took place whilst he was also filming the new Mission Impossible - a movie he'd grown a moustache for and wasn't allowed to shave off. So they spent a ton of money digitally removing it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

The re-shoots took place whilst he was also filming the new Mission Impossible - a movie he'd grown a moustache for and wasn't allowed to shave off. So they spent a ton of money digitally removing it!

Incredible, and thank you!  The spirit of Caesar Romero's Joker thanks him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catartik View Post

The Dark Shape, is this a different cut of the movie than you initially saw?

They cut a Lois scene at the Daily Planet and swapped shots at the end so it ends on a different moment, but otherwise this is 98% the same cut I saw before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

"I feel Ezra Miller is not being respectful of the fan-base for the character. He needs to be reigned in. His powers look so cool but he's obviously made the creative decision that his Barry Allen runs funny. He kind of kicks his feet out like a child. Why would Barry Allen not know how to run? Maybe Ezra Miller doesn't know how to run but then someone on set would have said ' Someone needs to teach him how to run because this is bad'."

That's from a video review I just watched. Dark Shape can you confirm if this is true??

It's true.  He looks silly when he runs, but I thought it was intentional.  Flash was my favorite character in it - he's basically DC's Tom Holland Spider-Man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post

He has distracting CGI face (it's very, very noticeable) for all but two scenes he's in.  You'll see it in the first scene of the movie, so enjoy!

A[Image: 400]
AAll but two scenes?? Great. Who makes the MI movies? Paramount? Haven't they heard of a fake mustache? I heard the technology is quite convincing these days.

Or did they just feel like screwing over Warner?
AFar below Wonder Woman but still DC's 2nd best film out of this current run only by virtue not being as awful as something like X-Men Apocalypse. Also, definitely not the obvious hatchet job like Suicide Squad was. Sticks to the Superhero Blockbuster 101 formula, while managing a close to functional course correction.

With that, the first 25 min or so are embrassingly bad, cg Cavill face, shitty melancholy intro song, lame poorly shot opening action scene with what looks like the guy from FX's Lights Out, awkward flat intro to Aquaman, worst superhero saves a bank hostage situation since Hancock, Steppenwolf looked Doomsday bad in his intro, once past that it goes from Bvs bad to passable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

All but two scenes?? Great. Who makes the MI movies? Paramount? Haven't they heard of a fake mustache? I heard the technology is quite convincing these days.

Or did they just feel like screwing over Warner?

To be fair, why is it Paramount's problem that Warner Brothers decided to have extensive reshoots?

Paramount likely didn't want to put a fake moustache on Cavill, or Cavill refused to shave it off.

I'm willing to bet that evil Superman was in this movie at some point.  I bet they chopped that right out.

Quote:

I'm willing to bet that evil Superman was in this movie at some point.  I bet they chopped that right out.

Mm-hmm.

The only two scenes from Snyder's shoot are the initial confrontation in front of the broken statue, and the final scene at the Kent farm.  All of Cavill's other scenes are reshoots.  My gut is that in Snyder's version, Clark stayed confused for the bulk of the movie and was used as a tool by Steppenwolf against the League.

Quote:

To be fair, why is it Paramount's problem that Warner Brothers decided to have extensive reshoots?

Paramount likely didn't want to put a fake moustache on Cavill, or Cavill refused to shave it off.

McQuarrie addressed that on Twitter. Don't have it in front of me but it had to do with the heavy stunt work and how a fake stache would fly off (and they frankly didn't want to spend the dough for a fake one since they weren't the ones with a looming release date like Justice League).

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik myers View Post

This movie is unforgivably boring.

A[quote name="Bluelouboyle" url="/community/t/159778/justice-league-post-release-discussion#post_4404894"]All but two scenes?? Great. Who makes the MI movies? Paramount? Haven't they heard of a fake mustache? I heard the technology is quite convincing these days.

Or did they just feel like screwing over Warner?[/quote]

It was absolutely a put your nuts on the other guy's desk moment. Fuck if we're spending a dime on fake moustache adhesive, when you can spend zillions to computer the moustache off in your movie.

Please tell me they had to paint it green or something to assist with the digital removal.

I probably won't see this film now.  I found BvS incredibly boring to the point I regretted seeing it.  I had (very vague low) hopes for this but it's jumped to "watch on TV"

AThe thing with Cavill’s moustache is he’s still wearing it proudly.

I’d guess that M:I6 is done filming by now.

Movember probably.

Also, it's a great mustache.

The "Martha" moment gets a ton of shit, and it's somewhat rightful because the execution is so clumsy and histrionic that it practically begs for laughs.

BUT the IDEA I'll defend till the day I die. That core idea of two people connecting over the very basic, very animalistic love for their dead Mom, and the actual moment hinging on a canonical coincidence to instantly cut through all cultural differences is something no Marvel movie would even try. So props for trying.

Also this movie looks bad and is probably bad and will be the first movie that has a Batman in it since 1989 that I don't see opening weekend.

AI wonder how many times I'll probably see this.
AThing I didn't realize until today: in the nearly two years since the release of BvS, if Google is to be believed, nobody has yet made a joke about how "even bat men love their Marthas."

I hope they put that awesome Black Panther trailer in front of this.

AI was thinking about how I never post in the sports or pro wrestling threads because I have no interest in those things and I feel like I'd bring zilch to the conversation by just sort of repeatedly reminding everyone how dumb I thought they were, or how I hate them, or how I have no interest in watching them. Over and over and over. Day after day. Constantly.

I imagine the other posters in those threads would find my presence toxic, trolling and pointless. Because there's no other way to describe it.

If you don't like the DC movies and hope everyone involved with their creation ultimately becomes bankrupt and blacklisted by Hollywood, WE FUCKING GET IT!! OKAY!! WE GOT YOU!! NOW FUCK OFF!!

Jesus H. Christ.