Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JUSTICE LEAGUE Post-Release Discussion

(06-26-2018, 09:56 PM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I seem to remember the rumor being, when Justice League 2 was supposed to come out in 2019, that the first movie would end with a Green Lantern showing up to warn everyone about Darkseid.

Yeah, I remember that rumor.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
No horns Shaun? Your photoshop skills hurt me more than anything you actually intended. Disappointing, much like BvS.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
[Image: I+can%27t+hear+you.jpg]
I haven't laughed that much in ages. Thanks Shaun!

Anyways, because of the fallout of JL when do you think they'll try another team film?

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(06-26-2018, 10:34 PM)headless fett Wrote: Anyways, because of the fallout of JL when do you think they'll try another team film?

So much depends on Aquaman, Shazam and to an extent WW84. Not to mention the rumors of a MoS2 being announced at SDCC.
Very true. Aquaman is really the biggest test for them as well with Shazam, WW84 is guaranteed to do well.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
This is now on HBO. I'd originally planned on holding off rewatching until I could do a proper, in-order viewing of the DCEU, but on a whim I fired it up and here we are.

I don't think my initial take has changed much. It's.....fine? For most of the running time, it hums along and any bumps or blatant stitching showing are forgotten as we get to the next part. Gadot, Miller, and Fisher are the MVPs. Mamoa's FUN, for sure, but Aquaman has so very little to actually do here that his main contribution is Arthur's amenable dudebro attitude. Adams is wasted, as is Simmons. Irons is a pro and shines with the few lines of sass he's given. Affleck appears to be trying but the material just defeats him at every turn. Cavill....he has some moments but everything is too rushed. His performance is fine; he's not the problem. The story, writing, and effects are.

I still actually really like the team's first confrontation with Steppenwolf. In terms of character beats, choreography, visual effects, and performances, it's aces. Everybody has something to do; Steppenwolf feels like a real threat; there are stakes initially at least with the civilians, including Cyborg's father. And the conclusion of the fight gives Aquaman something to do, too.

The scene where the proto-League is debating whether to use the Box to raise Supes from the dead is good, too. I strongly suspect Whedon's hand in writing and directing that.

But the entire conclusion in Russia is just bad. Bad CGI. Weightless fights, yet more screenful of pixels and heroes and villains with ragdoll physics and the ability to endlessly take fatal beatings. The idea of Steppenwolf being taken down by the parademons is a good one - I like any time the heroes use tactical jujitsu to make the enemy's strength a weakness - but Steppenwolf never really rises above generic CGI villain status. He's no Thanos, for certain.

(And it's really weird how JL is trying to be both the first Avengers movie and the latest one, all without any of the intervening world and character building.)

JL's safety and rushed nature made me appreciate BvS's weirdness and specific voice even more. I didn't hate it, but I'm going to have a hard time making myself watch the entire film again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Sees MM post in the JL thread:

[Image: tenor.gif]
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I wish I had something more to contribute vis a vis theme/motif/analysis. I just couldn't be arsed this time through.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

It's a fun, but dumb, movie. It has a few moments that border on showing unique insight into the characters (Bruce and Diana debate bringing Superman back, Bruce's "He was more human than I am" moment about Superman, the "We're the accidents" between Flash and Cyborg).

But mostly it's a wasted opportunity.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Agreed. You pointed that "He's more human than I am" line in your original post; I'd forgotten about it until seeing it last night. It's a great line and potentially good lead into to character exploration but....

....nope.

If Aquaman doesn't perform up to expectations, i suspect they're going to Flashpoint wipe all the films anyway.
Nah. Birds of Prey starts filming in January with Margot Robbie.

I suspect the individual movies will just start ignoring each other. At least after the rumored Cavillman cameo in Shazam!

I have been watching this all day in chunks of 20 or so minutes.

It is really dumb and the jokes are so bad.
home taping is killing music
I still think "Jesus, he is tall" is pretty good!

I no longer like Boone's style.
Justice League?

It's fine.
home taping is killing music
I finally caught JL now that it's on HBO. To be specific, I only caught parts of it as every time I've sat down to watch it in it's entirety, I lost interest. I was finally able to catch most of it here and there over the last week.

What a horrible film....it wasn't even disappointing as I had super low expectations. It's just an incredibly bad film. Even Whedon being hired to complete the film didn't help it. The fact that this film came out after WW only magnified how bad it was.

I can only hope that this film ends Synder's directing career.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
I like you guys more in the Trump thread, tbh.
I finally saw this with my free-weekend trial of HBO. Perhaps it was because I heard and read such bad reviews among both critics and fans that my expectations were so low, but I actually enjoyed this and didn't think it was nearly as awful as so many people seem to think it is.
The first 2/3 of the movie is better than the last 1/3 as it does fall apart with the Steppenwolf battle which wasn't more than a glorified cut scene from as video game. But watching the JL members both in their own element and especially with one another was nice to see. I even liked how they revived Superman and that entire sequence was great. Don't really care if its not how it was in the comics seeing as I don't read comics.

Yes, WW is a much better film but I don't mind saying that I would happily watch a JL 2.
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)history buff Wrote: I finally saw this with my free-weekend trial of HBO. Perhaps it was because I heard and read such bad reviews among both critics and fans that my expectations were so low, but I actually enjoyed this and didn't think it was nearly as awful as so many people seem to think it is.
The first 2/3 of the movie is better than the last 1/3 as it does fall apart with the Steppenwolf battle which wasn't more than a glorified cut scene from as video game. But watching the JL members both in their own element and especially with one another was nice to see. I even liked how they revived Superman and that entire sequence was great. Don't really care if its not how it was in the comics seeing as I don't read comics.

Yes, WW is a much better film but I don't mind saying that I would happily watch a JL 2.

This has always been my view of this movie. I honestly thought even if it safe and so so obviously compromised, it was enjoyable. The absolute SLAYING it received on release made me wonder if it wasn't all just because of DC's negative momentum being SO severe by that point post Suicide Squad.
(07-12-2018, 10:55 PM)freeman Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)history buff Wrote: I finally saw this with my free-weekend trial of HBO. Perhaps it was because I heard and read such bad reviews among both critics and fans that my expectations were so low, but I actually enjoyed this and didn't think it was nearly as awful as so many people seem to think it is.

This has always been my view of this movie.  I honestly thought even if it safe and so so obviously compromised, it was enjoyable.  The absolute SLAYING it received on release made me wonder if it wasn't all just because of DC's negative momentum being SO severe by that point post Suicide Squad.

It’s not the entire reason but to deny the DCEU rep (post BvS/Suicide Squad and despite Wonder Woman) played a factor would be dumb. Kind of how a bad or “meh” Marvel movie gets the benefit of the doubt because their rep is sterling. Except for Iron Man 2, I think that one is universally disliked. 

JL is a good movie, even if it is Frankensteined together.
"Good" may not be the right word. "It's okay" would be better.
I stand by “good”. Not great by any means...but good.
...'forgettable'
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
I still love it. It's my favorite movie that should've come out in like 1998.
(07-12-2018, 11:27 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:55 PM)freeman Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 10:51 PM)history buff Wrote: I finally saw this with my free-weekend trial of HBO. Perhaps it was because I heard and read such bad reviews among both critics and fans that my expectations were so low, but I actually enjoyed this and didn't think it was nearly as awful as so many people seem to think it is.

This has always been my view of this movie.  I honestly thought even if it safe and so so obviously compromised, it was enjoyable.  The absolute SLAYING it received on release made me wonder if it wasn't all just because of DC's negative momentum being SO severe by that point post Suicide Squad.

It’s not the entire reason but to deny the DCEU rep (post BvS/Suicide Squad and despite Wonder Woman) played a factor would be dumb. Kind of how a bad or “meh” Marvel movie gets the benefit of the doubt because their rep is sterling. Except for Iron Man 2, I think that one is universally disliked. 
Iron Man 2 is pretty ok!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I'd put Justice League and Iron Man 2 on about the same level, which I guess is like a 6.5/10.  In a world where JL debuted before the MCU got going, people would absolutely love it, I think.  But that ain't the world.
I'd also rate them both about the same, but I'd rate them lower (closer to 5/10). IM2 would get the edge from me because of Sam Rockwell and the ending (I'm a sucker for Tony and Pepper together).

The thing is, Justice League is a mess. It's held together with duct tape. Just check out this thread from Matt Singer about how ludicrous things like the janitor mopping in the background fall apart when you look too close: https://twitter.com/mattsinger/status/10...2177927168

If it wasn't such an obvious patchwork, I'd hold it in higher esteem. I will note, however, the other day I tried watching just the opening and ended up watching almost the entirety of it. There's definitely something worthwhile there, underneath the mess of it all. It's also extremely obvious, and jarring, which shots are Snyder's (gorgeous) versus Whedon's (fugly).
I liked Justice League. Had some scenes of real power. I think DC is headed in the right direction after seeing Wonder Woman and Justice League, and I'll be excitedly waiting for more entries.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I like Overlord's style.
Overlord gets it.