Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie Manson's Hollywood

Charles Manson is dead.

I just finished listening to the first episode of Karina Longworth's "You Must Remember This" podcast on Manson. I'd heard the series was definitive, but I wasn't prepared for how right off the bat it goes from riveting to outright disturbing. I'm not a true crime guy, I was more than a little hazy on the details of the murders, so the quiet, matter of fact descriptions made my blood run cold.

I AM a Horror guy, and no film in a long time has left me slightly shaky like her narrative breakdown of what unfolded.

Anyway, many of you have already listened to this, but I thought it would be interesting to have a Thread to recommend the best books or documentaries, or just talk about all the fucked up aspects of Manson and the Family, and discuss the odd six degrees of separation he had to the Hollywood community at the time.

Here's a curio to kick start things:

Serial Killer Cinema: 9 Movies “Inspired” By Charles Manson & The Manson Family Murders

EDIT: here's a link to first episode of the podcast

Now I rock a house party at the drop of a hat

Yeah, Longworth's Manson in Hollywood series may be the high point of You Must Remember This (though the Gable/Lombard episode is a hell of a thing). It's an incredibly disturbing listen all the way through, and the episode that finally covers the murders is truly horrifying.

ADo we really need a thread on this?

2nd episode deftly paints the picture of how the monster was created:

Charles Manson's Hollywood, Part 2: Charlie Manson Finds His Family

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.co...his-family

This has kind of haunted me since reading a month or so ago:

Dianne Lake: Charles Manson’s Youngest Follower Talks To CrimeFeed About Her New Memoir

"In 1967, my family had tuned in, turned on, and dropped out. My dad got involved with the Oracle, and my mom discovered marijuana. Timothy Leary, Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac, and all those writers had long won my dad’s mind and his heart, so for the second time in her life, my mom gave up everything to follow my dad.

But I just didn’t fit in. A sexually active 14-year-old just didn’t fit with the counterculture. I was jailbait!

My parents ended up on [the famous counterculture commune] the Hog Farm, and one day [Hog Farm leaders] Wavy Gravy and his wife Bonnie Jean told me — in a nice way — I just didn’t belong there. They didn’t want me around. I was jailbait!

I ended up living with another couple for a while, and they introduced me to Charlie. I didn’t know it, but my mom had already met Charlie and gave him my picture. I was in San Francisco, so she gave him my picture and told him my name and said to him, “If you’re in San Francisco, look for her!”

So the day I met the Family, all the girls were ecstatic. They were saying, “It’s Dianne! She’s here!” I had never heard of these people, and they knew me from the picture. So I immediately felt accepted, right after being told I didn’t belong, after being rejected. I didn’t fit in right away, but over the next two or three weeks, I did."

"My parents bought in early on to — even though this wasn’t a phrase yet — “It takes a village to raise a child.” The idea that with everybody there, somebody would always be looking out for the kids. That’s not how it always works."

Serial Killer Cinema: 4 Noteworthy Documentaries About Charles Manson & The Manson Family

MANSON (1973)

“There are no actors in this film.” That’s the message announced onscreen at the start of Manson, a scrambled collection of interviews with Manson Family members, news footage, and psychedelic visual effects.

Directors Robert Hendrickson and Laurence Merrick shot extensively at Spahn Movie Ranch, the Manson Family’s headquarters. Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme and other shaved-head, shotgun-pumping female followers still living there spout rapturously about revolution and Charlie’s kingdom to come.

Manson actually nabbed an Academy Award nomination for Best Feature Documentary, but lost to the extraordinary (and not entirely unrelated) Marjoe.

In 1976, Squeaky Fromme attempted to assassinate President Gerald Ford, prompting California authorities to order Manson temporarily removed from circulation in the state so as not to influence jury members. Distributors immediately, then, rushed it into theaters everywhere else, emblazoned with the bold tagline, “Banned in California!”

"love this anecdote about David Lynch discovering that his daughter Jennifer Lynch was reading about Charles Manson"

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/905454179874783232

Since no one seems interested in rehashing this series, or discussing the topic, I'll let the Thread die.

I just want to add that as small a tragedy as it was in the scheme of things, Dennis Wilson's naïve interaction with Manson and his subsequent psychological devastation and emotional ruination was indeed its own sad little thing .

There's such a black irony in the all-American Beach Boys being almost being the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of this sick play.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.co...songwriter

AUm. Anyone watch the Duchovny series, Aquarius? Only lasted 2 seasons, and parts were plain bad, but the actor’s take on Manson and his following were interesting.

This is kind of a mind blower:

Unholy Communion: Does A Satanic Cult Connect “Son Of Sam” To Charles Manson?