Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) Post-Release
(09-07-2018, 12:48 PM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 09:20 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: It's perfectly fine to despise Alien 3. But fuck anyone who has ever called me a liar when I say I love it.

Fuck anyone who ever said we gather in coffee houses to form lying conspiracies.

Fuck anyone who doubts my love of The Last Jedi.

That's right, I'm talking about you. Fuck you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
He's got his one good eye on you, Bort.
Git' in under mah belly!
The Governor?
Better than Negan.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
TV show wise? No argument there.
Git' in under mah belly!
(09-07-2018, 01:33 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Avatar was a huge deal leading up to it and during its run it was greeted with lots of ooooohs. But afterwards it was very quickly forgotten.

It was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

Dude they're making four sequels!!  Everyone went and saw Avatar, and we all remember it.  Definitely not a flash in the pan.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Four sequels!

Over ten years later!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-07-2018, 01:33 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 12:46 PM)schwartz Wrote: The Matrix was a bigger deal than Avatar.  

This is not complicated.

Avatar was a huge deal leading up to it and during its run it was greeted with lots of ooooohs. But afterwards it was very quickly forgotten.

It was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

Well, I guess it would be fair to say it receded from public consciousness because they didn't do anything substantial to maintain momentum for a while. Even though Star Wars has long periods without films, they at least had the EU and substantial merchandise options going (plus when films came out, they were in trilogies which were fairly close together to build and rebuild core fan bases at least).

I guess we'll see what happens when the next movie comes out and how much of a leap technologically it is compared to others out at the same time (that also helped the first movie) as well as the story, this time James Cameron has recruited quite the writers room, I do remember the showrunner from The Sarah Connor Chronicles was one of them and when he was good, he was very good. Then, as had been said, there could be up to four movies as the sequels which they'll be dropping much closer together than the gap from 1 to 2, so I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Betting against James Cameron before in the last few ... decades has been ... a risky proposition (I swear that fleeding was unintentional).
It was a flash in the pan in the sense that nobody is actually looking forward to those four sequels and what we remember about it was that it was a flash in the pan.

Very very few people are cosplaying as Na'vi. There aren't any geeks learning the language from the film. Mint in box Avatar action figures aren't selling for ten times their original price.

Other than sparking the resurgence of 3D movies it hasn't had any impact on how movies are made. There isn't a generation of young filmmakers trying to make the next Avatar (and it's been long enough that we'd be starting to see them if there were).

This is what people mean when they talk about a movie having 'cultural impact.'
With every post talking about how forgettable Avatar was/is I mentally add another 50 million to the box office total of Avatar 2.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Avatar 2's box office is going to make Solo's box office look like Avatar 1's box office.
I don't really like Avatar, for the record. But I don't see any point in going full damnatio memoriaie on its place in history. There are plenty of things that are very popular for brief moments in time and then everyone just kind of moves on. I can't think of a better term for that than "cultural event".
(09-09-2018, 09:38 PM)schwartz Wrote: There are plenty of things that are very popular for brief moments in time and then everyone just kind of moves on.  

+50 million.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]