Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) Post-Release
(09-07-2018, 12:48 PM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 09:20 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: It's perfectly fine to despise Alien 3. But fuck anyone who has ever called me a liar when I say I love it.

Fuck anyone who ever said we gather in coffee houses to form lying conspiracies.

Fuck anyone who doubts my love of The Last Jedi.

That's right, I'm talking about you. Fuck you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
He's got his one good eye on you, Bort.
Git' in under mah belly!
The Governor?
Better than Negan.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
TV show wise? No argument there.
Git' in under mah belly!
(09-07-2018, 01:33 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote: Avatar was a huge deal leading up to it and during its run it was greeted with lots of ooooohs. But afterwards it was very quickly forgotten.

It was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

Dude they're making four sequels!!  Everyone went and saw Avatar, and we all remember it.  Definitely not a flash in the pan.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Four sequels!

Over ten years later!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-07-2018, 01:33 PM)Stale Elvis Wrote:
(09-07-2018, 12:46 PM)schwartz Wrote: The Matrix was a bigger deal than Avatar.  

This is not complicated.

Avatar was a huge deal leading up to it and during its run it was greeted with lots of ooooohs. But afterwards it was very quickly forgotten.

It was a flash in the pan, nothing more.

Well, I guess it would be fair to say it receded from public consciousness because they didn't do anything substantial to maintain momentum for a while. Even though Star Wars has long periods without films, they at least had the EU and substantial merchandise options going (plus when films came out, they were in trilogies which were fairly close together to build and rebuild core fan bases at least).

I guess we'll see what happens when the next movie comes out and how much of a leap technologically it is compared to others out at the same time (that also helped the first movie) as well as the story, this time James Cameron has recruited quite the writers room, I do remember the showrunner from The Sarah Connor Chronicles was one of them and when he was good, he was very good. Then, as had been said, there could be up to four movies as the sequels which they'll be dropping much closer together than the gap from 1 to 2, so I guess we'll see how it all plays out. Betting against James Cameron before in the last few ... decades has been ... a risky proposition (I swear that fleeding was unintentional).
It was a flash in the pan in the sense that nobody is actually looking forward to those four sequels and what we remember about it was that it was a flash in the pan.

Very very few people are cosplaying as Na'vi. There aren't any geeks learning the language from the film. Mint in box Avatar action figures aren't selling for ten times their original price.

Other than sparking the resurgence of 3D movies it hasn't had any impact on how movies are made. There isn't a generation of young filmmakers trying to make the next Avatar (and it's been long enough that we'd be starting to see them if there were).

This is what people mean when they talk about a movie having 'cultural impact.'
With every post talking about how forgettable Avatar was/is I mentally add another 50 million to the box office total of Avatar 2.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
Avatar 2's box office is going to make Solo's box office look like Avatar 1's box office.
I don't really like Avatar, for the record. But I don't see any point in going full damnatio memoriaie on its place in history. There are plenty of things that are very popular for brief moments in time and then everyone just kind of moves on. I can't think of a better term for that than "cultural event".
(09-09-2018, 09:38 PM)schwartz Wrote: There are plenty of things that are very popular for brief moments in time and then everyone just kind of moves on.  

+50 million.
Watched The Director and the Jedi, the 90+ minute documentary on TLJ's blu ray set.  It was... quite good.  Not fluff.  I mean, there certainly was "fluff" that's common to these behind-the-scenes things, i.e., how greeeeaaat the effects team was!  How woooonnnnnddderrrrrful the cast and crew were! How darn hard everyone worked!  

But there was also the wonderful thru line of Hamill simply "fundamentally disagreeing" with Johnson's concept and direction for Luke, and yet, while continuing to disagree (in particular with the death scene), really doing everything he could as an actor to portray the director's vision.  Hamill is a fucking pro.  Even though I was quite satisfied with the burned out, broken husk of Luke as portrayed in TJL, I completely understand why there are so many who didn't, in particular the actor who originated the part of Luke (as a symbol of hope).  But despite that, he still goes all out for an Oscar-worthy portrayal of something he just didn't like.  Again, a fucking pro.

it's probably the best home video special feature I've seen in a LOOOOOONG time

I think Hamill's conflicted feelings about the portrayal of his character, combined with his craft and professionalism, resulted in a beautiful performance.

as little as movie awards mean to me, I think he deserved to have been nominated
Hamill is such a hypocritical, two-faced apologist. I'm almost sorry that I didn't watch any of the special features on my TLJ discs before throwing them in the dumpster fire that I made. One dumpster fire deserves another. Him costantly moaning about Johnson's scripting, while taking the money and doing it anyway, sounds glorious. Maybe I should buy yet another copy of TLJ and give that documentary a watch before destroying it.

Fluke Skywalker
Git' in under mah belly!
CD, the rake joke doesn’t work if you only step on one rake every other month.
So much for rumours of Kathleen Kennedy being asked politely to retire.
(09-29-2018, 12:47 AM)schwartz Wrote: CD, the rake joke doesn’t work if you only step on one rake every other month.

*gasp* How dare you!?

(09-29-2018, 01:33 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: So much for rumours of Kathleen Kennedy being asked politely to retire.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Will the dark reign of Darth Kennedy ever end?
Git' in under mah belly!
(09-29-2018, 01:33 AM)Fafhrd Wrote: So much for rumours of Kathleen Kennedy being asked politely to retire.
All those "SJWs ruined MY Star Wars" YouTube trolls are really upset about this.

Let those pathetic assholes wail.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
It's my Star Wars and I'll wail if I want to. You should wail too since it happened to you too, Fett.
Git' in under mah belly!
God dammit I can't NOT rep that.
I would say that my face is red because I'm blushing, but it's more because Feminist Agenda SJWars has left me in a constant state of Nerdrage. They didn't klll Kennedy's career, those Disney bastards!

This Farce is Female. They should make T-shirts of that.
Git' in under mah belly!
So, uh, this is a thing:

Weaponizing the haters: The Last Jedi and the strategic politicization of pop culture through social media manipulation.

Quote:Political discourse on social media is seen by many as polarized, vitriolic and permeated by falsehoods and misinformation. Political operators have exploited all of these aspects of the discourse for strategic purposes, most famously during the Russian social media influence campaign during the 2016 Presidential election in the United States and current, similar efforts targeting the U.S. elections in 2018 and 2020. The results of the social media study presented in this paper presents evidence that political influence through manipulation of social media discussions is no longer exclusive to political debate but can now also be found in pop culture. Specifically, this study examines a collection of tweets relating to a much-publicized fan dispute over the Star Wars franchise film Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. The study finds evidence of deliberate, organized political influence measures disguised as fan arguments. The likely objective of these measures is increasing media coverage of the fandom conflict, thereby adding to and further propagating a narrative of widespread discord and dysfunction in American society. Persuading voters of this narrative remains a strategic goal for the U.S. alt-right movement, as well as the Russian Federation. The results of the study show that among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls. The paper concludes that while it is only a minority of Twitter accounts that tweet negatively about The Last Jedi, organized attempts at politicizing the pop culture discourse on social media for strategic purposes are significant enough that users should be made aware of these measures, so they can act accordingly.
(10-01-2018, 07:52 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: So, uh, this is a thing:

Weaponizing the haters: The Last Jedi and the strategic politicization of pop culture through social media manipulation.

Quote:Political discourse on social media is seen by many as polarized, vitriolic and permeated by falsehoods and misinformation. Political operators have exploited all of these aspects of the discourse for strategic purposes, most famously during the Russian social media influence campaign during the 2016 Presidential election in the United States and current, similar efforts targeting the U.S. elections in 2018 and 2020. The results of the social media study presented in this paper presents evidence that political influence through manipulation of social media discussions is no longer exclusive to political debate but can now also be found in pop culture. Specifically, this study examines a collection of tweets relating to a much-publicized fan dispute over the Star Wars franchise film Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. The study finds evidence of deliberate, organized political influence measures disguised as fan arguments. The likely objective of these measures is increasing media coverage of the fandom conflict, thereby adding to and further propagating a narrative of widespread discord and dysfunction in American society. Persuading voters of this narrative remains a strategic goal for the U.S. alt-right movement, as well as the Russian Federation. The results of the study show that among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls. The paper concludes that while it is only a minority of Twitter accounts that tweet negatively about The Last Jedi, organized attempts at politicizing the pop culture discourse on social media for strategic purposes are significant enough that users should be made aware of these measures, so they can act accordingly.

Clearly, Overlord’s reach is far and wide.

You'd think storylines like the droid rights one in Solo would resonate with the bots. Once again conservatives being persuaded to go against their own interests!
(10-01-2018, 08:16 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 07:52 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: So, uh, this is a thing:

Clearly, Overlord’s reach is far and wide.

I love democracy.  I love the Republic.
What's the latest on that ridiculous $200 million fan version remake bullshit from a couple of months ago?
I'm sure it's vapored by now, but in a weird way I hoped they'd make it so we could get a few laughs out of it.