Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (Netflix)
Came home to the missus nearly finished with ep 4 and absolutely digging it.

Did I miss this nude scene. Just curious.
For all this talk of nude scenes, I've actually been impressed with how (relatively) chaste things have been so far (I'm through episode 8). Sure, there's the usual implied sex acts, but for the most part, the focus on Sabrina and Harvey's very sweet courtship has kept it all very PG-13, whereas the violence has inched into harder territory.

The fact that Sabrina and her "normal" friends all look like actual high school-age teens is also refreshing, and not often seen in shows of this ilk (i.e. RIVERDALE).
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(11-09-2018, 06:59 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Came home to the missus nearly finished with ep 4 and absolutely digging it.

Did I miss this nude scene. Just curious.

Sigh. So now my job is to be the reference for nudity in a show about a teenaged girl?

Great. When the feds come knocking, I'm blaming all of you!

(And it's in the first ep, I think)

(11-09-2018, 07:14 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: For all this talk of nude scenes, I've actually been impressed with how (relatively) chaste things have been so far (I'm through episode 8).  Sure, there's the usual implied sex acts, but for the most part, the focus on Sabrina and Harvey's very sweet courtship has kept it all very PG-13, whereas the violence has inched into harder territory.

Yeah, even the orgy was somehow PG-rated.

(And if you people pretend you forgot that scene, I'm calling you out for either senility or watching your phones instead of the show!)
Gamertag: Tweakee
It was distinctly un-titillating.

Which, again, actually kind of impressed me. The show's not going for too-gratuitous thrills.
I noticed it-- and thought to myself that I could do without near-nudity from Sally Draper. But also maybe a middle-aged dude like me oughtn't be watching a show about teens anymore in the first place.

But I liked the season. Agree with Belloq that the teens are convincing as teens. As things went on, though, the high school stuff started to feel like something of an afterthought, and that the creators realized that Satanic Church intrigue is a lot more interesting.

I imagine it would be difficult to give day-to-day teen life and high school the centrality (and the supernatural stuff the metaphorical emphasis) they had in "Buffy" without ripping it off wholesale-- so they've leaned more on examining religion instead. I think it works.

Speaking of, I ran across this today: 

https://www.businessinsider.com/satanic-...ue-2018-11

I think the showrunners have an airtight legal defense, though: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Seriously this girl is a dead ringer for Emma Watson. It's quite distracting.
(11-09-2018, 09:54 PM)freeman Wrote: Seriously this girl is a dead ringer for Emma Watson. It's quite distracting.

Especially for that split second where she showed sideboob. That's what Farsight keeps going on and on about anyway.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Finished the season. Some spoilery thoughts:

I think they did as good a job as they possibly could to justify Sabrina signing her name in the Book of the Beast; by making it a selfless act in an attempt to help her family, friends, and the entire town, it does absolve her a bit from the fact that, well, she’s pledged herself to the ultimate evil.

I have no idea how they’ll attempt to walk that back, as they surely must (because severing her mortal relationships is not a recipe for a good show going forward); the very last little coda implies she's not as broken up about everything as she should be, so who knows what they're planning. But I do know that if their plans involve her moving right on to a relationship with Nick (as her saucy little wink at him might foretell) after investing so much time on building up Harvey's character, that might be a deal breaker.

But as of now, there's enough to keep me on the hook for (at least some of) another season.
Two thoughts just occurred to me. I need to see original creepy Glen from MadMen hitting on Zelda. And silver haired women from Jaime Lee Curtis, Nana Visitor, Storm, Black Cat, Sabrina... they move me.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
I kind of wish they has held back slightly on some of the more extreme stuff like the cannibal dinner. Only because the devil should maybe seem seductive and not evil...ya know? When she first asked Blackwood about not wanting to be evil he laughed and said that isn't what they were about. Now obviously they ARE because Devil but I like the idea much more that they walk around all day rationalizing that they are good people and the guy they pray to is all about choice or whatever. And you don't find about about the really sick shit until later after you sign your life over. Like Scientology.

It's weird that they don't even need the devil for their magic, it's already there. So what's the trade off then? It would make even more sense if the first witches were women that felt god failed them and then ol Dark Lord showed up and gave them powers that they could use to make their way in the world.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(11-09-2018, 11:09 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: I kind of wish they has held back slightly on some of the more extreme stuff like the cannibal dinner. Only because the devil should maybe seem seductive and not evil...ya know? When she first asked Blackwood about not wanting to be evil he laughed and said that isn't what they were about. Now obviously they ARE because Devil but I like the idea much more that they walk around all day rationalizing that they are good people and the guy they pray to is all about choice or whatever. And you don't find about about the really sick shit until later after you sign your life over. Like Scientology.

It's weird that they don't even need the devil for their magic, it's already there. So what's the trade off then? It would make even more sense if the first witches were women that felt god failed them and then ol Dark Lord showed up and gave them powers that they could use to make their way in the world.

There's a line the show has been trying to walk (to varying degrees of effectiveness) between depicting Satan and all his works as very dark, sinister, and evil... and also attempting to depict an assortment of characters who are - essentially - good people but have still pledged to do his bidding.

There's an unresolved tension in that dichotomy that I'm not sure the show knows how to address.
(11-09-2018, 10:56 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 09:54 PM)freeman Wrote: Seriously this girl is a dead ringer for Emma Watson.  It's quite distracting.

Especially for that split second where she showed sideboob. That's what Farsight keeps going on and on about anyway.

Once!

If all my pissiness wasn't reserved for the political forum these days, just know that I'd deliver a BLISTERING response!

And Shipka's a much better actress than Watson.
(11-09-2018, 11:47 PM)farsight Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:56 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 09:54 PM)freeman Wrote: Seriously this girl is a dead ringer for Emma Watson.  It's quite distracting.

Once!

If all my pissiness wasn't reserved for the political forum these days, just know that I'd deliver a BLISTERING response!

And Shipka's a much better actress than Watson.

Plus Watson never did any nudity, not even for a split second. What's her deal?
I'm wondering if we find out it's not really Satan in charge of things, but some demon cashing in on his name.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Doesn't seem likely, given Lilith's presence.
Yeah it's going to be Satan. And at a certain point I guess she turns on him. They certainly seem to be setting that up pretty heavily what with the crow neck break.
Wardwell/Lilith seems to have some very particular, locked-in-stone ideas of what she wants, so if the Devil doesn't give them to her, I could easily see her "going rogue."

(11-10-2018, 06:34 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm wondering if we find out it's not really Satan in charge of things, but some demon cashing in on his name.

While I agree with the others that it absolutely appears to be Satan, this could have been an interesting angle -- the coven discovers that they've been worshiping their own "false god" for generations.
(11-10-2018, 11:44 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Wardwell/Lilith seems to have some very particular, locked-in-stone ideas of what she wants, so if the Devil doesn't give them to her, I could easily see her "going rogue."

(11-10-2018, 06:34 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm wondering if we find out it's not really Satan in charge of things, but some demon cashing in on his name.

While I agree with the others that it absolutely appears to be Satan, this could have been an interesting angle -- the coven discovers that they've been worshiping their own "false god" for generations.

I’d dig that. Wasn’t that kind of the premise of Spawn? Like, it wasn’t Satan that brought him back, but some lesser demon, right?
Is it too on the nose that the teen who plays Nick Scratch(Old Scratch) is The Devil? Kind of an odd last name to choose if he isn't going to be The Devil.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Apparently Netflix is dropping a CAOS Christmas Special on December 14th.

So basically an extra episode.
(11-09-2018, 11:00 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Finished the season.  Some spoilery thoughts:

I think they did as good a job as they possibly could to justify Sabrina signing her name in the Book of the Beast; by making it a selfless act in an attempt to help her family, friends, and the entire town, it does absolve her a bit from the fact that, well, she’s pledged herself to the ultimate evil.

I have no idea how they’ll attempt to walk that back, as they surely must (because severing her mortal relationships is not a recipe for a good show going forward); the very last little coda implies she's not as broken up about everything as she should be, so who knows what they're planning.

I look forward to her pulling a John Constantine and finding a way to screw the old bastard over in magnificent fashion.
Just saw that they're adding Alexis Denisof (Wesley on Buffy, Angel) for season 2 as the teacher's boyfriend. That's good casting, as he was probably the best actor on either show.

They're also adding Dorian Grey as a character, which is... okay, I guess. Not sure how that fits the show.
Season 2's coming in April.

Can't say I'm a fan of the implication that Sabrina and Nick are a "thing," but I'll reserve judgment until I see how they play that out.  I guess this means I'm Team Harvey?
Ugh, why?

Boo, Harvey!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Are those the only two choices?

I think that makes me Team Satan.
Nick probably is Satan.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(12-04-2018, 03:34 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Ugh, why?

Boo, Harvey!

I like him! I think it's important for the show to have a significant "normal" character for Sabrina to be involved with, because both Roz and Susie seem poised to be further ensnared in supernatural shenanigans going forward. The story needs at least one decent non-paranormally-inclined participant.

And Nick always seems like there's barely-contained smarm and self-satisfaction underlying all his interactions with Sabrina. He's wanted to sleep with her from their very first interaction (and has plainly admitted as much - to her face - on several occasions). I don't trust him!

So yeah... Team Harvey!
(12-04-2018, 01:59 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 03:34 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Ugh, why?

Boo, Harvey!

And Nick always seems like there's barely-contained smarm and self-satisfaction underlying all his interactions with Sabrina. He's wanted to sleep with her from their very first interaction (and has plainly admitted as much - to her face - on several occasions).
Wow what a strange guy.............
(12-04-2018, 03:15 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Wow what a strange guy.............
I'm just saying that's basically the only thing that distinguishes his character at this moment. I've been given no reason to feel like I should be in his corner about anything, whereas the show has put in a fair amount of effort to make Harvey sympathetic.

If it doesn't work for others, it doesn't work for others. It works for me.
(12-04-2018, 04:13 PM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 03:15 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Wow what a strange guy.............
I'm just saying that's basically the only thing that distinguishes his character at this moment. I've been given no reason to feel like I should be in his corner about anything, whereas the show has put in a fair amount of effort to make Harvey sympathetic.

If it doesn't work for others, it doesn't work for others. It works for me.

Well yeah he is everything Harvey isn't. Typically a girl Sabrina's age is going to be drawn to that for a while.