Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Election: Suffering without end.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

No to Biden. No no no no no.

Hey did everyone just forget about Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand, or Kamela Harris?

Those are three really terrible ideas.

We need Executives that can show an ability to lead and work. No more legislatures.

AThose three don't lead and work? Huh...

I think he means executive branch employees. Mayors and Governors and such.

Or, you know, Oprah. No one can argue her executive bonafides. (half kidding, of course)

Yes, Executive Branch. And while Legislatures obviously work, they are not really known as leaders or "do-ers"

Nothing against Oprah, but no celebrities please. Let the Republicans have that honor.

AThe debates would be a thousand times more fun if Oprah was involved.
A[quote name="Cylon Baby" url="/community/t/159963/2020-election-suffering-without-end/30#post_4445780"]No to Biden. No no no no no. 

Hey did everyone just forget about Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand, or Kamela Harris?
[/quote]

Gillibrand is the only one of the 3 who's probably electable.

Though every time I think something cynical like that, I'm reminded that this country elected a guy named Barack Hussein Obama. Twice. And then my heart grows 3 sizes, my blood runs red white and blue, and my eyes fill with Stars and Stripes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Though every time I think something cynical like that, I'm reminded that this country elected a guy named Barack Hussein Obama. Twice. And then my heart grows 3 sizes, my blood runs red white and blue, and my eyes fill with Stars and Stripes.

The experience of Obama to Trump is like watching the Grinch backwards.

Well, Gillibrand's definitely running - she just announced she's no longer accepting donations from corporate PACs.

https://twitter.com/SenGillibrand/status...0911997952

I know we're still 2 years away but can we please get someone better than Stormy Daniels' lawyer to run against Trump? By this time in the cycle 12 years ago, we had Obama out there hustling.
It sure looks like Gillibrand, Warren, Harris, Booker, Sanders, and probably Biden are all starting to get their campaign on, going around and stumping for candidates around the country. I'm pretty sure Warren's already hit Iowa a couple of times.
My prediction: Sanders will choose not to run.

If he were smart, that's what he'd do. He's too caught up in this Russia nonsense, and if he wasn't running, his endorsement automatically becomes the most important one of the primary.

If I had to guess, here's my list of likely candidates from most to least:

1. Warren
2. Gillibrand
3. Harris
4. Biden
5. Andrew Cuomo
6. Howard Schultz
7. Sanders
8. Booker
9. Deval Patrick
10. Eric Garcetti
11. Sherrod Brown
12. Beto O'Rourke

I think for a few of those guys, it's entirely dependent on the results of the fall. But that would be who I'd expect to see on a debate stage come 2019.
home taping is killing music
I'm going to say Biden is probably going to bow out as well. The guy looks GREAT for 75 but he's still 75 years old and would be 77 in 2020. One guy to keep an eye on is Beto O'Rourke in Texas. He's running a VERY competitive race against Ted Cruz. Depending on how that goes, we might see him either run in 2020 or get a prime speaking slot at the DNC.
Yeah, if Beto beats Cruz, that jumps up his national profile in a big way, and positions him to run in 2020 a la Obama in 2008.

Biden also has the big problem of likely running against a bunch of women candidates when he still hasn't fully resolved or accounted for his role in the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings, with no real way to without looking craven.

Which leads to my other outlandish prediction:

Monica Lewinsky will be given a speaking slot at the 2020 convention.
If Beto beats Cruz, there's a good chance he'll run in 2020 or get chosen as VP.  If not, I see him getting a plum spot at the DNC to set up a future run (like Obama).  I like Biden but I think 2016 was his shot.   Hillary and the DNC froze out a lot of great contenders that should have been in the mix.
If Beto beats Cruz, I expect the election results to be litigated for the better part of a year and eventually get resolved via the Supreme Court.
I don't think it will be a razor thin margin. I've seen Beto signs everywhere. Not one Cruz sign.

I think a more interesting question is whether Trump is going to get primaried. As spectacularly unqualified as Trump may be, A just don't see it happening. Yes, John Kasich makes a lot of noise and sends out lits of signals but at the end of the day, the base loves Trump more than they've loved any Republican president. There's also the fact that if you toe the party line, FOX will hire you as a commentator or at least some conservative organization will hire you. But just for fun, here's a few people that may do it anyway...

John Kasich
Jeff Flake
Jeb Bush
Marco Rubio
Some Alt-Right Shithead- Out of all possibilities, this is the most likely. Someone who is straight up Nazi could challenge Trump and win some primaries. I don't want this to be true, but I feel like someone like Steve King would totally be a threat to Trump in a way more moderate challengers wouldn't.

But like I said, it's highly unlikely that Trump would be challenged in his own party. The base has been radicalized to the point where sane Republicans are no longer welcome.
Trump's already revoking the security clearances of Republicans who criticize him publicly.  If he bothers to run for re-election instead of retiring to a less stressful life, imagine the harassment from the government that his competitors for the party's nomination would suffer during the primary season.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
So we should all vote Green, right?
I do not see Trump retiring. In fact, I could very well see him try to cling to power after being defeated in 2020. That is, if he can be defeated. Yes Trump hovers around 38 percent support but that is all muscle. That 38 percent are lifers. No Democrat (except for Ovama) enjoys that kind of loyalty. We cannot have another 2004 where we can assume that a warm body will defeat Trump. It didn't work in 2016 and definitely won't in 2020.
Not gonna lie. Part of me wonders if we'll even have an election in 2020.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-21-2018, 04:46 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Not gonna lie. Part of me wonders if we'll even have an election in 2020.

Oh, C'mon. I recall people the saying the same thing in 2008, the crazy idea that GWB was going to suspend the election, declare martial law, and appoint himself POTUS for life. Flash-forward to 2012, the same talk took place only this time it was Obama that was going to declare himself "Emperor". 

People have this inherit fear that the person in the White House somehow wields enough power to halt the wheels of the federal govt.; they can't. If and when Trump loses in 2020 (should he even run) he'll leave, perhaps reluctantly, but leave nonetheless. I've heard Bill Maher express similar fears about Trump not giving up power willfully. It's not up to Trump, you lost, get out. That's it.
(08-21-2018, 05:56 PM)history buff Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 04:46 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Not gonna lie. Part of me wonders if we'll even have an election in 2020.

Oh, C'mon. I recall people the saying the same thing in 2008, the crazy idea that GWB was going to suspend the election, declare martial law, and appoint himself POTUS for life. Flash-forward to 2012, the same talk took place only this time it was Obama that was going to declare himself "Emperor". 

People have this inherit fear that the person in the White House somehow wields enough power to halt the wheels of the federal govt.; they can't. If and when Trump loses in 2020 (should he even run) he'll leave, perhaps reluctantly, but leave nonetheless. I've heard Bill Maher express similar fears about Trump not giving up power willfully. It's not up to Trump, you lost, get out. That's it.

Trump is stupid enough to try but won't succeed if he does. The politicians supporting him are craven opportunists with no real loyalty. He has and will continue to throw his "friends" to the wolves to try and save himself with every scandel. And the US military is not stupid or treasonous enough to support a coup.  Could he call on his voters to have an armed revolt? Sure, but the ones deranged enough to start a civil war are smaller than people think. Although the look on their faces when the military they worship comes in to crush them might be worth it.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
I totally think Kasich is going to primary Trump. It’s clear he wants to, even if in the end it’s a lost cause. He maybe eyeing 2024 no matter what. Had Clinton won, I’d assume he’d be the presumptive Republican nominee in 2020. 

For the Dems, keep an eye on the soon to be ex-Governor of Colorado(term limits) John Hickenlooper potentially jumping in. It came out after 2016 that he was a lot closer to being Hillary’s runningmate than people thought. He’s made a trip to New Hampshire already and is planning on one for Iowa this month per the local news. I’m not pumping his tires here because I’m in Colorado, just reporting what I see.

Biden missed his shot (still think he would have beaten Trump) and I think in the end Sanders would rather be Kingmaker by endorsing a candidate.

I don’t think we’d see Beto run in 2020 if he wins. Having a Blue vote in Texas would be too big to risk losing. 2024 (if Trump wins) might be better. But if he loses he might be the perfect younger, energetic balance to the ticket for an older candidate like Warren. Sort of a reverse Obama/Biden.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(08-21-2018, 03:00 PM)boone daniels Wrote: My prediction: Sanders will choose not to run.

If he were smart, that's what he'd do. He's too caught up in this Russia nonsense, and if he wasn't running, his endorsement automatically becomes the most important one of the primary.

If I had to guess, here's my list of likely candidates from most to least:

1. Warren
2. Gillibrand
3. Harris
4. Biden
5. Andrew Cuomo
6. Howard Schultz
7. Sanders
8. Booker
9. Deval Patrick
10. Eric Garcetti
11. Sherrod Brown
12. Beto O'Rourke

I think for a few of those guys, it's entirely dependent on the results of the fall. But that would be who I'd expect to see on a debate stage come 2019.

This was how CNN ranked them about a week ago.

1. Joe Biden
2. Liz Warren
3. Kamala Harris
4. Kirstin Gillibrand
5. B. Sanders
6. Deval Patrick
7. Cory Booker
8. Eric Garcetti
9. Amy Klobuchar
10. Steve Bullock

Apparently Steve Bullock is the governor of Montana.
Stratosphere baby, stratosphere.  I'm stacked up over La Guardia and I'm not comin' down for nobody.  Not even you.
(08-21-2018, 04:18 PM)boone daniels Wrote: So we should all vote Green, right?

So the Democrats should just run candidates who'll fight Medicare for All and raising the minimum wage, right?  It's the people who want government to work for the people, they're the real assholes.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
(08-22-2018, 01:56 PM)Reasor Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 04:18 PM)boone daniels Wrote: So we should all vote Green, right?

So the Democrats should just run candidates who'll fight Medicare for All and raising the minimum wage, right?  It's the people who want government to work for the people, they're the real assholes.

For one thing, I think Bernie was an indication of where the Democratic party is going next.  That's been borne out by the elections since Trump.  Will this translate to an unashamed liberal at the top of the ticket?  I think so.

But let's take your assumption and run with it.  The Green Party can not and will never win the presidency.   It's just never going to happen.   What they can do and have done in 2000 and 2016 is act as a spoiler in a tight election.   A lot of the blame for Gore and Clinton losing lies with Gore and Clinton but they would have won if not for Jill Stein and Ralph Nader gumming up the works.

The best hope for a left leaning third party candidate is to run as a Democrat.  Anything else and you help Trump win.
I would be very surprised if the major Democratic contenders don't support some combination of raising the minimum wage, medicare for all, universal basic income, voting rights, and let's just call it "responsible capitalism."

But, you know, as long as they don't nominate someone like that bitch Clinton, Reasor should be cool with it.
I wouldn't put it past Clinton to make another run.
Ron Howard: She won't.

'16 was it.
Yeah. I think she's done.
(08-22-2018, 02:19 PM)boone daniels Wrote: I would be very surprised if the major Democratic contenders don't support some combination of raising the minimum wage, medicare for all, universal basic income, voting rights, and let's just call it "responsible capitalism."

But, you know, as long as they don't nominate someone like that bitch Clinton, Reasor should be cool with it.

You can keep fucking that chicken until death do the two of you part, but repetition isn't going to make me a misogynist or Clinton a good candidate.
okurr.gif
(08-22-2018, 02:22 PM)ChrisW Wrote: I wouldn't put it past Clinton to make another run.

As if the Republicans aren't going to pretend she is running again anyway until even the conventions are over. They need that boogeyman to give their lives meaning.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
A badly needed and hard fought-for reform to the Democratic Party's superdelegate system was enacted today.  If the reform stays in place, this could have a colossal impact on Democratic voters' ability to nominate a candidate who can actually win in the general election in 2020.
Every 2020 contender in the Senate* just voted to expand the military budget by $18 billion. Not a single Democrat voted against.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r...vote=00212

*except Bernie