Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrested Development Season 5: Because That Way We'll Have It
Jessica Walter has been in the industry since 1960. And yet Jason Bateman feels it's necessary to explain how the industry works to her.

I admire her self-restraint on not simply punching him in the junk.
Well, that was more awkward than any episode of the show. Credit to Alia Shawkat for jumping in with "But that doesn't make it acceptable."
(05-23-2018, 06:41 PM)hypnotoad Wrote: I did enjoy that Bateman( and Cross / Arnett) tried to brush off the question with a pat reply and jokes. Then Walter, basically asked the the reporter to continue the question more specifically so they couldn't blow it off.
I also thought this Walter quote was striking:

"WALTER: I want you to say in the article, there’s so much testosterone in this room."
Bateman put his foot in his mouth, but he was also in a situation that I imagine is hostile to self-awareness.  But after all, I am not the moral arbiter - Twitter is.  And in response to its wrath, Bateman has already delivered an apology to social media, which is I guess what we're supposed to want.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...56e3ad9099
(05-24-2018, 08:11 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Bateman put his foot in his mouth, but he was also in a situation that I imagine is hostile to self-awareness.
I think he was in PR mode, and didn't expect the junket to go there. He still came across as a bit of a shithead.
(05-24-2018, 10:07 AM)Mangy Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 08:11 AM)fatherdude Wrote: Bateman put his foot in his mouth, but he was also in a situation that I imagine is hostile to self-awareness.
I think he was in PR mode, and didn't expect the junket to go there. He still came across as a bit of a shithead.

It's one thing to issue that kind of 'sorry if you were offended' response to a situation like this in an interview in isolation.  It's something else entirely to do it when the person who was the victim in the situation that you're downplaying in your response is sitting next to you crying while you're giving it.  That's some next level shit-heading right there.  

I will say this for Bateman; it has to be incredibly uncomfortable to be put in the position he was in with both Tambor and Walter there.  You don't really have a good option when either direction throws a long-time co-worker under the bus publically.   He still handed it badly, but I think few people could actually handle that situation very well without getting some blood on their hands.
The whole setup of that interview strikes me as so unnatural, it is hard for me to judge what was said the same way I might given a more authentic environment.  What was it, five interviewees?  Were they even facing each other?

I think in an actual conversation, Bateman would never have said what he did, because it would have been impossible to have been oblivious to how insensitive those comments were to Walter.

But a group interview with the NY Times as part of a promotional tour is not an actual conversation.  There are layers of artifice.  I think he was in a default, "Stay only positive about the show" publicity mode, and utterly failed to navigate the pivot to Real Talk.  And he made himself look like a fool in the process.

This gets to something that might be better suited to the social media thread, but I think my white hot contempt for how the internet reacts to stuff like this has made me more inclined to make excuses for, or at least seek to contextualize, bad behavior in a way that was not true in the past.  The online reaction is so swift, unconsidered and self-satisfied I want to contradict it just out of a desire for some kind of fucking equilibrium.
Interviews in the UK have been canceled. In the immortal words of Emmitt Smith, they really debacled that interview.
I guess you could say... they've made a huge mistake.
Tony Hale's turn to apologize:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/tony-hale-ap...202397305/
Cross speaks at length about the reaction to the NY Times interview:

http://gothamist.com/2018/05/24/david_cr...opment.php
Bateman's apology works for me. He takes responsibility and doesn't try to transfer offense to the offended.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Jesus, what a mess.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I was always going to feel relieved when Season 5 finally dropped, but now I am going to be relieved for a plethora of unexpected reasons.

The reviews of the show itself have been reservedly positive.  Funny but familiar seems to be the consensus.  Considering that the critical response for Season 4 and my own feelings toward Season 4 bear no resemblance to each other, I wasn't planning on sweating the reviews, but it's still nice to know people think it's good.

There has definitely been some backlash - completely independent of the controversies of the last six months - against AD since its revival. The usual accusations of the show overstaying its welcome, being run into the ground, etc. I don't get it. I can appreciate the position that the show was better off unexhumed, but this idea that five seasons in fifteen years represents oversaturation is quite silly to me. This show is on a schedule that makes Sherlock seem aggressive. It's especially weird because the sentiment will come from the same people who went absolutely ape with happiness at Brooklyn Nine-Nine being saved from its criminal fate of lasting only 100 episodes.
As someone that has been pretty defensive about this stuff - and has had a reputation for being bad on set - that David Cross interview comes off as remarkably thoughtful, if only slightly cringy when he says "Well, Jessica also yelled at people." I think the difference there is that he says she apologized, which is something Tambor had to basically be forced into doing.
home taping is killing music
I didn't realize he had to be coerced. Wasn't Tambor the one who brought up the incident in the first place?
In that NYT interview, Walter mentions that Tambor brought up the incident in an "article". Any idea what she's referring to? Was curious to see what she was referring to but Google's not helping. Was wondering if it was a recent incident or an original run thing.
The Cross interview suggests Walter losing her temper was in this most recent season; I noted it because I don't think I'd seen it mentioned before. Certainly wasn't suggesting they were trying to drag it out of Cross.
home taping is killing music
I meant dragging the apology out of Tambor.
(05-25-2018, 11:03 AM)hypnotoad Wrote: In that NYT interview, Walter mentions that Tambor brought up the incident in an "article".  Any idea what she's referring to?  Was curious to see what she was referring to but Google's not helping.  Was wondering if it was a recent incident or an original run thing.

It was in reference to the below Hollywood Reporter article in which Tambor gave his side of the Transparent scandal.  In it, he denies the allegations while volunteering that he has had an explosive temper on sets.  That's when he brought up the outburst with Walter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featur...nt-1108939