Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrested Development Season 5: Because That Way We'll Have It
I can't believe how bad Will Arnett looks.
a good discussion about the interview:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/podca...anger.html
(05-31-2018, 05:36 PM)atomtastic Wrote: I can't believe how bad Will Arnett looks.

At least the voice is still there so Bojack is safe.
The supposed empathy for Jessica Walter is smelling more like exploitation with each passing thinkpiece.
I wouldn't say that about the podcast discussion I linked!

In this case, I'm linking a podcast I already listen to regularly anyway.
As someone who still loves this show and believes that it remains strong and special, Hurwitz needs to make that movie to close out the Bluth saga, and pronto.  Otherwise backlash or a cast member death is going to end the show for him.  And anyway, 91 episodes is plenty.  Give it a proper ending while there is (maybe?) still opportunity and before it actually turns into the stale show the snarkier commentators already see it as.
Just watched the first episode of Season 5--I really enjoyed it. Partly because it good to see everyone again (even though, yeah it's becoming increasingly obvious how old some of them are getting--that being said I think the show knows it and that cut from "THE PUNCH" 2012 TO 2018 is hilarious), but also because it is legitimately funny.

My defense of S4 and (For now) S5 is that, I think those are the shows you make in a post-Obama, post-Trump timeframe. As much as I love S1-3, I think if Hurwitz and Co tried to replicate the tone of the earlier seasons, I think it would be seen as tone deaf. S4 was just brutally honest about what the original seasons always just barely hinted on--that the family (including, and especially, Michael) are monsters.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
I'm about 5 episodes in and am enjoying it as well.

And people set me up so much for Arnett's appearance, that I didn't find it that big of a deal.

REALLY enjoying how much more hijimks Shawkat can indulge in this season.
(06-01-2018, 04:44 AM)ska oreo Wrote: My defense of S4 and (For now) S5 is that, I think those are the shows you make in a post-Obama, post-Trump timeframe.  As much as I love S1-3, I think if Hurwitz and Co tried to replicate the tone of the earlier seasons, I think it would be seen as tone deaf.

I don't think the issue is even cultural.  Some things you just can't replicate.  The original incarnation of the show died when FOX cancelled it in 2006*, and I think the folks who find that Season 4 felt "off" would have found it just as off had Hurwitz attempted to recapture the exact tone and style of the network show as if no time had passed. 

Only it would have been appreciably worse, because in addition to still feeling inevitably different, it would have been creatively unjustified.  Revivals like Full House can get away with that, but you don't exhume something like Arrested Development after seven years to do a reheat.  To me, the ridiculous ambition of Season 4 is what made it worthy of the brand, which would not have been served well by a standard fan-mandated reunion show. The show blazed a trail in its first life, and it was appropriate that it do so again in its second.

*And arguably regardless.  People forget that Hurwitz himself ended the conversations with HBO and Showtime in 2006 because he ultimately didn't think he could keep up the show's quality.
Interesting theory that Season 5 is setting up a reveal that Tracey Bluth didn't really die.

Also, a nice new interview with composer David Schwartz.
You mean Hey Dude's Christine Taylor? Every day. The only regret I have is that she married Ben Stiller. 

Between her and Christina Applegate, young Tyres loved tall blondes. My turn to darker haired, mellowed voiced actresses started near Kathleen Turner's film run on most of the cable networks.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
This exchange about Lucille's new love interest was tops:

George Sr: He's attracted to her! 
Michael: I'm sorry, why would he be attracted to her if he's blind?  And how did he burn off his finger tips?
George Sr: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Michael: I may have added the finger tips...I may have added the finger tips because I assume if he's blind, he's got to feel her face.  But you said you never saw him touch her face?
George Sr: I never said he was blind.

It was a delight to see former Conan writer Kevin Dorff as Eddie the evidence guy.  For me he's immortalized as Joe from the Joe's Place sketches:

So I decided to watch the recut Season 4 before I jumped into the new season and I just got through the pilot. Man Ron Howard must be exhausted. Are all the episodes like that?
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(06-04-2018, 06:04 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: So I decided to watch the recut Season 4 before I jumped into the new season and I just got through the pilot. Man Ron Howard must be exhausted. Are all the episodes like that?

Nah, there are a few which do have lengthy narrator catch-ups but it doesn't feel too overbearing...
I thought the VO was overbearing to the point of parody in the original S4, so I didn't notice that much difference in the recut.
There are several 22 minute episodes of the recut that seem to open with 8-9 minute recaps of what has happened so far. It's still way better than the original.
I'm always happy to have more AD in my life but this half season has been weird. The jokes and acting are great but I didnt feel like they had much of a story to tell. I will say the MVP has to be Maebe. Did not see that coming.
New interview with Mitch:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/arrested-de...03117/amp/
(06-04-2018, 08:17 PM)ChrisW Wrote: I'm always happy to have more AD in my life but this half season has been weird. The jokes and acting are great but I didnt feel like they had much of a story to tell. I will say the MVP has to be Maebe. Did not see that coming.

Yeah, the story was a little thin. I think that's largely due to Portia de Rossi's limited involvement but the whole thing still felt a little anemic. And Maeby was definitely my favorite.
The new episodes play great on re-watch.  So are swans the ostriches of Season 5?  And how out of nowhere was that Gilbert Godfrey voice cameo?

It’s hard to whittle down my favorite quotes to a manageable list:

Michael: I'm all grown up, Toddler.

Lucille: Hurt people, hurt people.

Tobias: Just harmless bathhousing amongst brothers, yes?

Michael: Why did you move the business? This is exactly the same.
GOB: Says the guy who hasn't seen the roof the Rite-Aid yet!

GOB: Yeah, that's the $14,000 a month question, isn't it? 

Tobias: Not only are you finding me in your son's pants, but you're finding out how the sausage is made.

Maeby: You’re the one who perverted that into a way to not hurt him.

Lucille: I hear I’m not the only one whose son has a nasty left hook.

George-Michael: As do these sex toys I cattishly brought you.

George Sr: Why don’t you get me a Fanta on your way out of the family?

George-Michael: Did that actress die?  Fuck you, 2015.

Barry: Why was Michael so stingy with the dog shit?

Maeby: I was just specu-lying.

Rebel: No, my character's in Mexico.  I'm in Culver City.

The conceit of Michael having scattered flashbacks of Cinco tells me that the big reveal about Lucille II will happen when he gets his memory back.  Which points to him being culpable.
I've watched this twice through now, and it still isn't connecting with me. This show is always going to have dozens of great jokes, but something about the energy and enthusiasm of this season just feels off to me.

HOWEVER, Ron Howard wears a chef's apron that says "Howard You Like Your Burger," and I think about that and crack up at least once a day.
(06-07-2018, 10:18 PM)fatherdude Wrote: The conceit of Michael having scattered flashbacks of Cinco tells me that the big reveal about Lucille II will happen when he gets his memory back.  Which points to him being culpable.

I know they've been doubling down on Michael being just as bad as the rest of the family, but making him complicit in a murder just seems like a step to far.  I'm guessing he actually saved her from someone else trying to kill her, helped her hide somewhere, and she's waiting for him to come get her but he doesn't remember due to the Forget-Me-Now.
I am halfway through the first episode.

I think it has been literally nothing except recaps of the prior season.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(06-12-2018, 04:18 PM)Overlord Wrote: I think it has been literally nothing except recaps of the prior season.

well... that way we'll have it!

yeah, we'll have it!
One thing I noticed: Isn't it weird that they no longer bleep "shit"? This show had the ability to make bleeped language funny ("Hey I met a girl today and her name is . . . [BLEEP!]", but they decided to skip that this time. Not bad, just odd.
Yeah I noticed that too. I also found it odd.
I was fairly amazed that the Mexican Romney subplot was set up in Season 4, as they proved by showing the flashback footage of Oscar burning the signs in the desert.

Apparently, the idea was actually meant to be employed in Season 4 itself, with George Clooney involved.  From 2013:

Quote:During a conference call on Wednesday, Arrested Development creator and executive producer Mitchell Hurwitz revealed exactly why he and his creative team focused so much on lampooning Cain in the show’s fourth season. Hurwitz had already planned on mining the Republican presidential field for satire and topicality. One idea was to cast some famous and extremely good-looking actors—including George Clooney—to play a family of “Mexican Romneys” in the new season. That idea was ultimately left unfulfilled, which gave Hurwitz time to turn his attention to Cain.
I hope we get the second half of the season.  Netflix really seems to have cut bait on this, and the press dutifully reacted to the controversy rather than the show itself.  If this is how the brand goes out, I cannot think of a more depressing way for it to do so.
would they really just sit on the second half?
I thought the second half was already filmed? Is there a question now about its release?

I watched through the first half a couple of times, and it was really hit-and-miss for me. My wife said the Tambor incidents and NYT interview really turned her off. Personally, I just thought it wasn't quite as funny, but maybe the backstage stuff soured me on it as well.