Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL 2018-19 Season
(06-13-2018, 02:01 AM)schwartz Wrote: Sure, but if you're not including the 2nd in career receiving yards in it, why do you have a HOF?

He chose not to go. And please someone correct me, but wasn't it all about his  feelings being hurt because he wasn't on the first ballot as some didn't vote him.
(06-13-2018, 11:14 AM)martianman Wrote: And maybe that's it--TO being such a dick head most of the time probably influenced my memory of how good he was. I also think I had him on a fantasy team one year and he didn't do that well or he was really inconsistent, so that also might be affecting my judgement.

If you look at the tail end of his career, he had his shitty seasons.....partly due to being a bit toxic and bouncing around to also-ran teams like Buf and Cin, partly due to being a WR in his mid-30s. He was clicking off 75 ypg (more than one season at 100+ ypg), as well as 99 TDs in 109 games (!) from 00-07. He played until '10, so that leaves 3 seasons that were probably inconsistent/disappointing if you were expecting peak TO. 

But that 00-07 run....that's some rare fucking air. I can't think of too many players who've been that consistently productive for that long.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
I remember that first preseason game he was with the Eagles and caught like a 50-60 yard TD pass on the 2nd or 3rd play of the game. I was like "Dammit. Why didn't I take TO on one of my fantasy teams." And yeah, I think I may have taken him when he was with the Bengals. That strikes a chord.

My other main memory of TO is when he caught that TD in the San Fran/Green Bay game and got smashed by two GB players but stood up with the ball. That was some tough shit. The toughest WR in my recent memory was Anquan Boldin getting his jaw broken, and coming back a few weeks later and still playing (and being productive) with his jaw wired shut.
New question! Who is the "last to first" team this season, and who will be the disappointment? I'll go with Tampa for the last to first (because it's got to happen at some point, right?) and the disappointment will be...Jacksonville. DISCUSS.
Depends on if Winston gets suspended and for how long if he does.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(06-21-2018, 08:37 AM)martianman Wrote: New question! Who is the "last to first" team this season, and who will be the disappointment? I'll go with Tampa for the last to first (because it's got to happen at some point, right?) and the disappointment will be...Jacksonville. DISCUSS.

STOP IT

BTW rumor has it Jalen Ramsey is on the cover of Madden this year

RIP
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
ESPN has named JEFF TRIPLETTE as their rules analyst for the upcoming NFL season. This news has made me chuckle off and on all morning.
Maybe not the right thread but what is the deal with the Kellen Winslow Jr. story? Yikes.
(06-21-2018, 12:57 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Maybe not the right thread but what is the deal with the Kellen Winslow Jr. story? Yikes.
I remember watching him play Tennessee in college and going off on that "I'm A FUCKING SOLDIER!" rant. Then there was this story about him doing $130,000 of damage to rental house - https://deadspin.com/5912855/property-ow...in-damages

Once the Browns drafted him, he was lost forever. (Seriously, his crimes are horrifying and he deserves to rot in jail.)
and remember a few years ago when he got arrested for sitting outside of a Target (I think--or maybe it was a WalMart) and masturbating? Dude had/has some mental issues.

LOL on Winston--right after I posted that, I saw those articles. And yes, RIP to Ramsey and his inevitable ACL and/or MCL tear in the pre-season.

I actually cranked up the ol' PS3 and put in NCAA 2012 a few weeks ago and started playing it again--I couldn't figure out who the hell was on FSU team from 2011 to 2012, even after looking at the rosters.
An article on Winston's suspension - https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/21/jameis...gn=themmqb

He really is a dipshit, isn't he?
I need to stop buying Bucs player jerseys. Josh Freeman, Cadillac Williams, Jameis Winston... Only one that was ever worth a damn was Derrick Brooks.

----------

Winston has always been an awful human though
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
The early stuff I wrote off as being young, dumb and in college, but he hasn't grown up.

----------

Couple his idiotness with the fact that I heard a Tampa Bay beat writer on the radio this morning say that Winston was Lovey Smith's pick. Dirk Kutter would have drafted Mariotta. That tells me Winston's time with the Bucs is coming to end.
Problem is, he's likely to take Koetter and Jason Licht with him. Hell, Licht might be gone anyway if the Bucs don't make the playoffs. He's been GM for five years and really doesn't have anything to hang his hat on except Mike Evans and Kwon Alexander.

----------

(06-21-2018, 08:37 AM)martianman Wrote: New question! Who is the "last to first" team this season, and who will be the disappointment? I'll go Tampa for the last to first (because it's got to happen at some point, right?) and the disappointment will be...Jacksonville. DISCUSS.

I don't think the Texans were last in 2017, but I think they could go really far if  they can stay healthy (especially Watson). As for who will be a let down this year, I can see the Falcons stinking up things. They're in a tough division, they have crappy fans, and "Matty Ice" just paid, which can often prove to be a problem for the team. Ditto for the Vikings.
(06-21-2018, 08:37 AM)martianman Wrote: New question! Who is the "last to first" team this season, and who will be the disappointment? I'll go with Tampa for the last to first (because it's got to happen at some point, right?) and the disappointment will be...Jacksonville. DISCUSS.

I think we can count TB out with Winston missing 3 games.

Best bets
1. Texans-Terrible division so why not.
2. 49ers - Sea/Cards have down year and can the Rams duplicate?

Long shot
3 Bears-They played teams close last year with no offense what so ever. Minny changes QB's and 10 or 11 games could win it
4 Denver They have a new QB and Andy Reid is still HC in KC

No chance in hell
5 Giants I guess Philly can have SB hang over
6 TB Winston out 3 hurts their chances if they even had any

Jesus would have to come back
7 Browns would take a miracle
8 Jets I had to put all 8 teams up there. I suppose if a natural disaster takes out the 3 other teams opening week
I really think the Bucs have to cut Winston. The optics of keeping a guy with two strikes against him aside, he's facing a ban if he gets another strike. Nothing in his demeanor has shown that he's capable of doing stupid stuff. Do you really want to put all your eggs in that basket with no contingency plan except Ryan Fitzpatrick? Start planning for your post-Jameis world right now.

----------

Tampa Bay's first 3 games: Saints, Eagles, Steelers. They would have been lucky to go 1-2 with him, now they're almost certainly going 0-3.

What will be the mood then, Richard.
Then they go to Chicago which won't be easy. Then @ Atl they are looking at 0-5 before they get Cleveland.

I don't see any way TB dumps him. They aren't in a major media market so he's not going to be bombarded with press.
True, but he's still a fairly big name in the NFL, not to mention that he's already got an albatross around his neck from his college days. Couple that with the fact that everyone walks around with a video camera these days so he still could be confronted by average fans, not necessarily the media.

If he doesn't improve greatly this year, I could certainly see the Bucs cutting their losses.
Chris Ivory creeping up my draft board.
Yeah, that was kind of an "out of nowhere" thing I just saw about McCoy. I read something today where the picture was since deleted and the account has gone private. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.
Jesus, and now Brandon Browner was arrested on attempted murder, among other things, for breaking into an exes house and stealing a watch and threatening her.

Coincidentally, the house that McCoy's ex was attacked in...my neck of the woods in the 'burbs north of Atlanta; and Browner was apparently in Kennesaw, GA (about 30 min from here) Saturday night. Maybe LeSean called Brandon and asked him to make a quick stop while he was in town.
Someone might have mentioned this already but nonetheless, Kellen Winslow Jr. is in some serious poo-poo as well...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/kel...spartandhp
Winslow was indicted on *another* rape charge, involving an unconscious 17-year old back in 2003 - https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/12/kellen...harge-2003

Good grief.
Jesus Christ. I recall an interview, though I can't quite remember exactly where, with his father talking about his son's issues while he was still playing football. I guess it must have been his time with the Browns. From what I can remember it was mostly him saying that my son isn't a cancer, he's a team player, yada, yada, yada. I wonder how senior is feeling these days.
Let's try to turn the page to something not as dark and bad--we get our first pre-season game in just over two weeks. TWO WEEKS! WAAAAAAAAA