Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NFL 2018-19 Season
I mean, almost by definition shouldn't the bottom half of the league have mediocre or worse QB play?

I'd say there are at minimum nine all but surefire Hall of Fame quarterbacks in the league right now. Maybe more. And when you include the young guys who have yet to prove themselves over the long haul like Mahomes, we could have a dozen or more. That's a lot. And, sure, part of that is because with the way the game is now, it's much easier to put up numbers. I'm not saying they're all world beaters- some of those future Hall of Famers have done next to nothing in the playoffs. But still, the NFL isn't suffering from a lack of quarterback play, in my opinion. A sharp divide between the haves and have nots, yes, but that's because the importance of the position has been so amplified due to the rule changes that it's basically become an all or nothing proposition. Either you have a Hall of Fame caliber QB (or you get lucky with a guy playing that way for an extended playoff run like Foles or Flacco), or you have no shot.
(02-04-2019, 02:48 AM)bailey Wrote: I mean, almost by definition shouldn't the bottom half of the league have mediocre or worse QB play?

Heh, true.

I was meaning historically, so that we're not seeing as great a level of play as all of the rules changes should allow.

How many QBs do you think are very likely to be "great" 3 years from now? The household names are nearing retirement, and the next wave has been plagued by regression.

My list has... one.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Maroon 5 - Rams 3
(02-04-2019, 04:46 AM)farsight Wrote: How many QBs do you think are very likely to be "great" 3 years from now? The household names are nearing retirement, and the next wave has been plagued by regression.

My list has... one.

It's true that many of the big names will be done in a few years, if not earlier.  But in three years we still should have Rodgers, Luck, Ryan, Wilson, maybe even Cam playing well (he'll still be in his early 30s) to go along with, potentially: Mahomes, Watson, Prescott, Wentz, Trubisky, Mayfield, Goff, etc...  Plus there's a good slate of prospects entering the league in the next couple of years.  Trevor Lawrence, Tua, and others.  I'd still say in any given year you're going to find around 10-12 QBs playing at a high level, 10-12 playing passably, and 10-12 playing average or below.  We might not see what we did recently, with so many of the best of all time playing all at once- but there will be plenty of statistics accumulated, and obviously every year somebody is going to add a ring to their collection.  The greats will sort themselves out that way.  Honestly I think rule changes making it too easy for quarterbacks to put up huge numbers and engineer last minute drives is a bigger threat to the future of the league than not having anyone to field the position.
Somewhere in the season Goff lost his confidence to pass the ball to a spot, and fell back to waiting for guys to get open. He stopped throwing with anticipation. I honestly was in and out of the game last night (I went to bed in the mid-4th quarter) but when I watched the Rams on offense, it seemed like they'd get 4-5 yards on a run, and then throw it 5 more times. Not sticking to the running game is what doomed them--you can't keep running play-action if you don't make an attempt to establish a running game. Hopefully McVay can pull that back out of him again. Mahomes does a beautiful job of trusting his receivers and seeing the whole field, and has the crazy physical tools to get the ball almost anywhere. I still think we're going to find out that Gurley's knee injury was a lot worse than they let on.
I really want to know the story behind Gurley. He was healthy enough for 10+ touches but they didn't go to him enough. He was your home run hitter. I'm def not drafting him in fantasy next year.

Goff is terrible under pressure. It wasn't the cold in Chicago that got to him. Any pressure and he folds. LA better invest in some solid Guards in the offseason. Or a stud fullback that can help out.
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
In three years, I believe Rodgers will be 38, and Ryan 36. There's a good chance at least one will be showing signs of age, or retired by that point. Luck made a nice comeback, but just recently he looked -done-, so I'm not sure this year is his new normal or not.

Goff's a good one to bring up, as he went from world-beater to beaten in a heartbeat. Belichek deserves some credit, but in the little I saw, Goff looked like he'd never played in the NFL before. He had open looks; he just couldn't make a throw. Hard to tell now whether this was a learning experience for him, or a ruinous one.

Heck, a couple years ago, I'd have bet money that Carr was going to be a perennial Pro-Bowler for years to come.

For the record, Wilson was the one guy I'm sure will still be great in 3 years. As long as Carrol actually lets him throw before 3rd and long once in a while.

Admittedly, I'm very down on the league in general these days. But it seems like we should be seeing Arena League numbers from a majority of QBs. Instead we have a few guys shattering records like it's steroids-era-baseball, while the rest of the league still looks like it belongs in 1980.
Gamertag: Tweakee
They mentioned at one point that the Rams were waiting to call their play until after the communication window on the helmet audio closed, so Belicheck couldn't call adjustments to whatever formation the Rams were in. That was the drive where the Rams actually seems to be moving until Goff threw the pick, and it felt like the kind of move that would tilt the game.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(02-04-2019, 12:52 PM)farsight Wrote: Admittedly, I'm very down on the league in general these days. But it seems like we should be seeing Arena League numbers from a majority of QBs. Instead we have a few guys shattering records like it's steroids-era-baseball, while the rest of the league still looks like it belongs in 1980.

Yeah, I think it's a good thing there is a while before the next season starts. After this Super Bowl, I'm sort of down on the NFL right now too, to the point last night where I was thinking about not doing Fantasy Football next season. That will probably change by the summer time, but I'm just tired of it right now.
(02-04-2019, 12:52 PM)farsight Wrote: Admittedly, I'm very down on the league in general these days. But it seems like we should be seeing Arena League numbers from a majority of QBs. Instead we have a few guys shattering records like it's steroids-era-baseball, while the rest of the league still looks like it belongs in 1980.

I'm down on it too, but again, I think the disparity in QB play is about how dependent a team's success as a whole has become on that one position, rather than the number of people able to job the job somewhat competently.  It's much harder to overcome having a merely decent QB now than it was in eras past.  Doesn't mean those guys can't play; sometimes it's just next to impossible to beat Brady, Brees or Rodgers, because even if you're leading in the 4th, they can almost go down the field and score at will in crunch time.  At the very least, when all these truly elite guys from this era are done, if there isn't anyone to replace them, we'll have something closer to parity at the position. Because, at least in terms of the old benchmarks for elite QB play, 60+% completions, 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, 4k yards passing, etc... we are seeing that stuff surpassed regularly by half the quarterbacks in the league.