Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY: 'COBRA KAI' THE SERIES

http://screencrush.com/cobra-kai-karate-...s-trailer/

Quote:
 "Picking up 30 years after the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament, the half-hour series finds Daniel and Johnny at different places in their lives. Whereas Daniel is living his best life as a family man and proud owner of the No. 1 car dealership in the Valley, Johnny has fallen a long way since the ’80s and is now a heavy drinking, short-fused antihero living in Reseda, doing odd jobs to make ends meet. However, their rivalry is reignited when they re-enter each other’s lives, which drives Johnny to rediscover his Cobra Kai roots and reopen the infamous karate dojo."

Cobra Kai is written and executive produced by Hot Tub Time Machine alum Josh Heald and Harold and Kumar creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg.

I don't know how I feel about this. There's potentially some interesting things to be mined from revisting these characters years later, but I don't know if an ongoing series is the way to do it. There's too much potential for pointless filler, which a movie would eliminate. It's also hard to judge from the footage whether the two actors have the dramatic power to carry this off.

Also: Youtube series? I didn't realize Youtube were trying to move into the television market.

Youtube Red is the TV division now, they're getting serious about joining the ranks of Amazon, netflix, hulu....

And yeah, there's alot of dramatic potential in that relationship and the fallout of getting older with that kind of baggage, so it's kind of puzzling they're choosing to make it some kind of tongue in cheek comedy/satire?, when the original film was wholly dramatic (and very touching).  There were some humorous bits, but the film was not comedic by any stretch of the imagination.  Weird.  But I'm curious.

Is Kove in this?

Give me a Hillary Swank cameo and I'm sold.

Seriously, though.... this could be interesting if handled right.  I'd love to see Thomas Ian Griffith reprise his role from part III.  Easily the best part of that crap sequel, and a character too fun not to return to - if we have to return to this series at all.

-The Dexter Morgan of Assholes
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I don't know how I feel about this. There's potentially some interesting things to be mined from revisting these characters years later, but I don't know if an ongoing series is the way to do it. There's too much potential for pointless filler, which a movie would eliminate. It's also hard to judge from the footage whether the two actors have the dramatic power to carry this off.

Also: Youtube series? I didn't realize Youtube were trying to move into the television market.

Everything that needs to be said on the subject has already been done.

A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/160052/strike-first-strike-hard-no-mercy-cobra-kai-the-series#post_4474689"]

And yeah, there's alot of dramatic potential in that relationship and the fallout of getting older with that kind of baggage, so it's kind of puzzling they're choosing to make it some kind of tongue in cheek comedy/satire?, when the original film was wholly dramatic (and very touching).  There were some humorous bits, but the film was not comedic by any stretch of the imagination.  Weird.  But I'm curious.
[/quote]

I don't think it is that puzzling. The dramatic stuff in KK worked like gangbusters when I first saw it, but I was like twelve. I have a feeling it hasn't aged too well, unlike Avildsen's other famous underdog sports movie. After all these years Rocky Balboa fighting for the world heavyweight championship is something I still take seriously, I cannot with confidence say the same thing about Daniel LaRusso doing crane kicks on martial arts bullies wearing black gis in the 1984 all valley high school karate tournament. I think tongue in cheek is the right way to go here.

That description of Johnny as he is now made me laugh (antihero!) Looking forward to this. Hopefully Peter Cetera is cooking up a new power ballad for it as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

I don't think it is that puzzling. The dramatic stuff in KK worked like gangbusters when I first saw it, but I was like twelve. I have a feeling it hasn't aged too well

You have a feeling, or you know this for a fact?  I'm gonna assume you were twelve a very very long time ago.  Did you see it recently?

The last time I saw KK was in a theater re-release maybe 10 years ago and it worked as well then as it did when it came out.  It's basically a classic and those generally don't age (besides the out of date fashion and language).  Honestly its underdog storytelling trope is extremely old anyway.

I think the comedic spin is based on the fact that it's being made by comedic writers/producers.  It doesn't necessarily suggest the source material is inherently comedic... it's not, at all... not the core concept.  I think its pop culture status is easy to make fun of though, and that's probably where their thinking is.

In the first KK, the humor came out of real situations, which is the best form of comedy.  I think they could've approached this dramatically and still have comedic elements that are born out of the situation, ala Better Call Saul, rather than "hey, it's so silly isn't it?  let's make it a comedy!"

I saw the trailer, and I kept waiting for the punchline. It looks like a Funny or Die gag that just... never... reveals itself. YouTube probably saw what Netflix did with Fuller House and Voltron said "Hey, people like the 80s! That's how we'll get people to watch our premium service!"

Not hard to read between the lines here:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201...rmer-co-s/

When asked by The Washington Times if “Ali with an I” would be back for “Cobra Kai,” Miss Shue would only chuckle.

“I don’t know. I don’t know,” she said. “I feel like Ali was definitely a part of their past, but I have to wonder if she really is a part of their future.”

This bit was gold, though even if unintentional.

"Several attempts to reach Miss [Robyn] Lively for comment on Jessica’s possible return to “The Karate Kid” universe were unsuccessful."

I'll check out the pilot episode out of curiosity but how long can they honestly stretch this out for?

New trailer:

Don't really know what to make of this. 

As an actual sequel to the movies, I don't like that Daniel seems to have grown up into a jackass.  I guess he was always kind of a brat, but I hope there's a little more to it than what the trailer indicates.  Its like having a new Back to the Future movie that picks up with Marty getting fired by Mr. Fujitsu because Needles called him a chicken.

I dunno, I just wish they'd left the rivalry crap out of it because the Glow meets Karate Kid thing seems interesting enough on its own.
(02-16-2018, 09:24 PM)Anjin Wrote: Give me a Hillary Swank cameo and I'm sold.

She was just on Colbert last night joking about how she "will always be the 'next' Karate Kid". It's funny that Colbert brought it up, because it was the first movie I saw her in, so it's something that is always in the back of my mind when I see her.
This series was my first exposure to Swank as well, so I'm always amused how she's like a serious actress now with awards and shit.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty intrigued by this whole idea, and if it wasn't on yet another goddamned streaming service I'd absolutely watch it. I'll still probably find a way to check out the first episode when it drops, at least ... but I just can't justify another subscription when I'm already behind on my savings goals. Ugh.

I'm hoping the whole "Daniel was the real bully" video essay was the inspiration behind this. Not that I want them to approach this series like that - but I'm game for a more nuanced look at these characters now that they're older, and they can both realize that teenage boys are all douchebags, and Daniel might be a self righteous, sanctimonious prick nowadays and needs to come to grips with the fact that he was pretty much just as much to blame for their "feud" as Johnny was, and if he really wants to honor Mr Miyagi he'll need to make things right with Johnny, and maybe even help Johnny get back on his feet.

As for Johnny ... Zabka looks like he's got it covered. If he doesn't steal this entire show (good or bad), I'll eat my hat. There's never a time Zabka's shown up in a movie that hasn't put a big ol' smile on my face.
Daniel was always a little goober, so it seems to fit the mold. I see the series culminating in the two reconciling by learning "we're not so different, you and I" and running a dojo together called Cobra BONZAI!

First Swank exposure: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie)
That's right, she was in that Buffy - the one with Rutger and Pee Wee! I guess I saw her there first. Wow, I forgot that movie even existed!
I am so watching this.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Come down to Larusso Autos!

Early spolier-free reviews (that I've seen, at least) are seemingly positive so far.

Karate Kid I and III are staples of my childhood, and I'm unashamedly excited for this show now.  Now about this Youtube Red bullshit, though....... that's probably going to be the thing that kills this show after one season.  Unless YouTube adds a lot more content ASAP, I can't see anyone (including Karate Kid superfans) paying for an unproven streaming service.  This really, really should have gone to Netflix, Amazon or Hulu.

Hoping for the best, at any rate.  According to this, the show treats all four movies as part of it's canon.  This gives me hope that we could see Terry Silver and Mike "Badboy" Barnes.
I LOVE IT WHEN HE POUNDS HIM
They're showing the first movie and the first two episodes of this in the theater tomorrow night. Might be fun if anyone's interested in this.

Is this going to be a weekly series or will they dump them all on the same day? I assume it'll be weekly so I can't just sign up for a trial and burn through them. Instead I'll have to wait 10 weeks, sign up for a trial and burn through them.
Not sure how YT plans to release it, but IMDB only lists a release date for episode 1 (May 2nd) - so take that for what you will. Personally, I hope they all drop at once. If it's any good, I'll wanna binge it.
(03-29-2018, 01:17 AM)Felix Wrote: Come down to Larusso Autos!

Surprised it didn't have a "wax on wax off" reference.  That being said, still looked pretty slick, in terms of production.  Kind of want to check this out, but I agree that it probably isn't enough to get me to sign up for YT streaming...yet.
All ten episodes are up on YouTube Red. I only managed to see the first two before having to head into work, but I'll be polishing these off in a matter of days I'm sure.

Thankfully there's that free month of Red for new subscribers. I've been poking around to see what other content is there... and Christ it's grim. Not a single other thing there that I'd want to drop a dime on.

This show though? So far I'm digging it.. but it's still doing a lot of table setting at the point I left off. Zabka is off to a good start as a burned out failure unable to let go of his glory days from over 30 years ago. (I identify!)
First two were pretty good. No non-archival Marty Kove as of yet, but Ed Asner made for a nice substitute.
I've seen all 10 episodes and I'm left wanting more, so in a nutshell I think it's safe to recommend to Karate Kid fans. How it plays to non fans... No clue. I'd imagine some of it going over their heads.

I don't wanna say too much more just yet in fear of spoiling some things better left seen fresh...
The last scene of the season is going to make some people very happy.

(and hey... was that Quentin from The Magicians in the final four? Got a kick out of that!)
First episode wasn’t too bad at all! Noticed it’s produced by Will Smith and one of his kids.
Watched the first two episodes on a whim last night and I'm in. They're playing it surprisingly straight, even though it's a total inversion of the original story.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
All of those cheesy previews really didn't do it any favors. But it certainly suffers from large-world-where-everyone-bumps-into-one-another syndrome, which is unfortunate.
Zabka's really carrying this thing in the first episode. He does a good job for someone I haven't seen acting since Just One of the Guys. They're really kind of buying into the Internet-joke that Daniel was the bad guy, but the first ep was from Johnny's perspective...
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Pretty solid first season.  I can't imagine a fan of the movies being disappointed.   I hope if there is a season 2, there will be some space for the characters to evolve and not fall into "roles".  Those last few scenes were cool but it seems to promise a more predictable second season.
I really liked this. Wasn't sure about it, but it blends the old and new so well that it really worked for me.

Larusso being an asshole and Lawrence being the guy who is trying to fix his life. Flipped the story here and I thought it was good.

With all his antiquated 80s thinking, Zabka is doing his best to be what he thinks is a good big brother or dad.

They are trying to juggle a lot of things here, but it worked well enough.

I think the 80s references and soundtrack here makes me enjoy this even more.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
The Karate Kid movies were a staple of my childhood and I still love the message and sentiment of the original to this day - the heart of Mr. Miagi still manages to pierce through any and all complaints I may have when I watch it through cynical eyes. When I saw the trailers I thought it looked really bad and super cheesy. I can't believe this turned out to be one of my favorite things of 2018, and it isn't even because of nostalgia. Instead, it's because of how they managed to strike a balance with the tone while updating it for the modern age and flipping the script without it seeming like a gimmick. I was really impressed by the work Zabka did here and wouldn't find it silly at all to see him recognized for some of the work he put in here.
Season 2 is a go.

Also, the actor who played Mike Barnes in pt3 has been saying he'll be in the second season.  Future looks bright for this show!

Re: Zabka - I love his 80's era mindset of toxic masculinity constantly being challenged by the safe space era of 2018. His exasperation never ceases to amuse me.