Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY: 'COBRA KAI' THE SERIES
I've managed to watch three episodes of this... it's not great.

Zabka just doesn't have the chops. It's telling when Ralph Macchio is acting circles around you. And the rest of the cast are just, blah. Ed Asner? Are you joking?

What really hurts this series is the lack of the iconic score. The Karate Kid has a great, GREAT, score. This series has just felt weightless to me.

MIKE BARNES?! KARATE'S BAD BOY?!

PERFECT.

YAS QUEEN
Wow, I thought Zabka brought his A game here. Far more so than Macchio IMHO. Not that Ralph was bad, per se... but I bought into Johnny far more than I did Daniel as a living, breathing character. It probably doesn't help that Macchio has such a baby face, still. Zabka actually looks his age.

To each their own, but that's honestly the first real negative response I've seen to this show so far.
-The Dexter Morgan of Assholes
C’mon, neither of these lucky bastards looklike they’re in their 50’s.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(05-10-2018, 03:39 PM)shaunh Wrote: MIKE BARNES?! KARATE'S BAD BOY?!

PERFECT.

I really want them to bring back Thomas Ian Griffith as Terry Silver. He was so hilariously over the top! Him and Barnes were the best things about KK3.
Absolutely want Terry Silver involved. I still love part 3 and he's the best part of that film. Sure, Silver and Kreese went a little too cartoonish-evil at points, but that might be a good contrast to have common "Villains" for both the "hero" Daniel and "anti-hero" Johnny to worry about instead of each other.

I do hope they don't go to the "so and so's kid" well too many times though. If BadBoy Jr and Terry Silver Jr show up at Daniel's dojo.... woof, that would be a bridge too far.
Terry Silver is really the ultimate villain. He took a few months off of running a multi million dollar company that seems to only exist to dump toxic waste in the ocean to ruin a 17 year old boy's life. That is some commitment.

Although I do like the idea that Kreese blames Daniel winning the tournament on why the Dojo had to be shut down. It certainly can't be the fact that he beat the hell out of his prize student in the parking lot in front of everyone and was then himself beaten by a frail 80 year old man.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Same reason I stopped watching Gotham after the first few episodes. I kept waiting for Gordon to maybe do something about his stress levels By taking a ceramics class at the Y or something, only  to have the instructor be... Clayface!  

SOmetines every damned thing doesn’t need to be connected.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

So watched it. Loved it.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
So I went on Amazon looking for the scores for the Karate Kid movies. They want 499.99 for a box set that covers Conti's music from all four films. No digital download options, either. What the fuck? Do these CDs contain the secret recipe for Coke and KFC? I mean, I love Conti's scores... but that's fucking nuts!
Alright, I've watched five episodes and I'm officially done with this.  If you wanted a Karate Kid series with 100% more dick eating/cocksucking jokes... this is it.

But that's not even the worst part.  The worst part is that it is just another cynical cash grab.  It's the Prophets of Rage of television.

I mentioned the score for the Karate Kid earlier.  A few years ago I watched that movie again, and my eyes welled up when Daniel wins the tournament and the triumphant music swells.  This series has the audacity to use the same music in a dramatically inert scene.

Here's how an Academy Award winning director uses an Academy Award winning composer's music to add tension and cathartic release to the pivotal scene in the movie:

This is what a hacks like Jon Hurwitz and Josh Heald do:

Martin Kove confirmed as a regular in Season 2.
I’m conflicted about whether to watch this or not. There’s a lot about the original that works for me because it conforms to basic moral truths (don’t be a bully, appreciate the wisdom of elders, etc)

Subverting earnest morals like that is actually a pretty easy to do. Sure it has an immediate shock factor. I.e. Whoa the bad guy is now the good guy! He listens to GnR and is a badass! The original hero is now an egotistical dickhead based on his success!

I get why that subversion might register for a lot of people, but it also seems needlessly cynical to me.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(05-26-2018, 04:28 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: I’m conflicted about whether to watch this or not. There’s a lot about the original that works for me because it conforms to basic moral truths (don’t be a bully, appreciate the wisdom of elders, etc)

Subverting earnest morals like that is actually a pretty easy to do. Sure it has an immediate shock factor. I.e. Whoa the bad guy is now the good guy! He listens to GnR and is a badass! The original hero is now an egotistical dickhead based on his success!

I get why that subversion might register for a lot of people, but it also seems needlessly cynical to me.

It doesn't do that. Daniel is not a egotistical dickhead and Johnny is not the hero, more of an antihero. It's a very morally grey show where both guys go off the rails a bit. I won't spoil the ending but Johnny isn't let off the hook. It's a slightly more adult story with nuance, you should try it out.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(05-26-2018, 06:30 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 04:28 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: I’m conflicted about whether to watch this or not. There’s a lot about the original that works for me because it conforms to basic moral truths (don’t be a bully, appreciate the wisdom of elders, etc)

It doesn't do that. Daniel is not a egotistical dickhead and Johnny is not the hero, more of an antihero. It's a very morally grey show where both guys go off the rails a bit. I won't spoil the ending but Johnny isn't let off the hook. It's a slightly more adult story with nuance, you should try it out.

Yeah ok, I checked out the first two episodes and it wasn’t too bad. The character of Daniel wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. He’s pretty cheesy in those car ads, but they also show how he is a bit uncomfortable in his social strata since he’s become successful. I.e. his daughter’s rich friends are disrespectful douchebags.

And I like how they are playing Johnny as someone who has been wronged, and in someways is improving his life, but he’s also basing his decisions on the fairly toxic philosophies he grew up with.

Unfortunately, it appears only the first 2 episodes are free and I need to sign up to YouTube Red for the rest. I’m not that interested to keep going with it.
PSN: Kriegaffe
Karate Kid wasn't a staple of my childhood. But I think I've seen it on TV? At the very least, I know the basics through cultural osmosis. (though I didn't realize the first movie starred Elizabeth Shue as well)

I watched the first episode on Youtube while helping a friend set up his new 4K TV.

I thought it was pretty good!
It actually is really good. You should go watch the first 2 movies. I mean part 3 is mentioned in the show as well but that movie is a fucking doozy.
Yeah, that's actually what I'm doing. The three movies are available on HULU, and then I'll continue to Cobra Kai.
Also they said the Next Karate Kid is in continuity as well but that move is a bigger doozy. Although if you want a laugh...
It's not a long flick, I'd say give part 3 a watch while you're at it. Next Karate Kid doesn't really have any redeeming qualities, but 3 had Terry Silver. You can't not love watching the glee Silver takes in totally fucking with a "teenager".
I finished watching the whole season a few weeks back.

Overall, I liked it. There's a little too much Apatow/Kevin Smith-ish dick jokes and some storylines in the middle (like the scenes of Johnny's son with his thug friends) kinda drag, but the story respects the characters and I like how we get to see more of Johnny's side of things. Loved the special cameo at the very end. I say bring on Season 2! 

Re: KK3&4

Neither is a *good* movie, but both have some ridiculous, yet fun elements. #3's main villain, Terry Silver resembles an Inspector Gadget villain who somehow walked into a KK movie. Both him and his henchman, Mike Barnes bring some energy to this rehash of the original. Then in Next Karate Kid, Michael Ironsides's villain has a para-military troupe who violently bully their fellow students and basically commit crimes that would land them in jail in real life, yet their school board seems perfectly OK with it!
I'm on episode 3 and am really enjoying it!

And it's insane how much Joe Seo (Kyler) reminds me of Yunjin Kim.

I love the scene where the Asian American kid has no interest in sushi and loves school fish sticks
But did you watch the movies first? You get more enjoyment that way!
right as I was trying to watch all of them (I got through I and II), HULU dropped all the movies except the first one!
(07-01-2018, 06:40 PM)Nooj Wrote: right as I was trying to watch all of them (I got through I and II), HULU dropped all the movies except the first one!

Probably for the best.

KKII is part of that fine tradition of the second being the best, though!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Ehh you saw the important ones then. 3 and 4 are really only good for a laugh. Although you will miss a reference later but it's no big deal really. I hope that for season 2 they can get Shue's character back though. Would love to know her side of the prom night story. Quite a way to get rid of the character!

(07-01-2018, 06:46 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 06:40 PM)Nooj Wrote: right as I was trying to watch all of them (I got through I and II), HULU dropped all the movies except the first one!

Probably for the best.

KKII is part of that fine tradition of the second being the best, though!

Yeah if you can't enjoy those little drum things you are a monster.
About II...

I actually know the guy that played Chozen! He owns a restaurant in Seattle!

ALSO... 52 year old Ralph Macchio kinda looks like a young Jeremys Iron! And also like a softer Frank Grillo!

ALSO ALSO... I'm enjoying how progressive the show is via Johnny's regressive views.
(07-01-2018, 07:01 PM)Nooj Wrote: About II...

I actually know the guy that played Chozen! He owns a restaurant in Seattle!

That is cool.
KK2 has some nice Daniel-Miyagi bonding moments (like when Miyagi's father passes), the iconic ice breaker scene and it's cool exploring Okinawan customs, but it feels a little forced trying to recreate certain elements from the original. The final fight, despite being more flashy, also doesn't have the emotional resonance of Daniel fighting Johnny.
Just about to finish the season...

and I think the show is pretty fantastic.

Lots of thematic parallels to the current star war trilogy... BUT WITH A TV SHOW'S LUXURY OF TIME!  AND this series actually shows the rise of the First Orde-- I mean... Cobra Kai.  

Just thematically RICH and FUN stuff in terms of working off of the legacy of the last generation.  In a way, it's a really smart sequel to the combination of the legacies of star war... and ROCKY.

And a really fun development from that "DANIEL IS THE BULLY!" video from a few years ago.

edit:  OH GOD, JUST GOT TO THE FINAL SHOT.  THE REVEAL OF SUPREME LEADER SNART.  Can't wait for season 2.
(03-21-2018, 05:27 PM)Anjin Wrote: I'm hoping the whole "Daniel was the real bully" video essay was the inspiration behind this.  Not that I want them to approach this series like that - but I'm game for a more nuanced look at these characters now that they're older, and they can both realize that teenage boys are all douchebags, and Daniel might be a self righteous, sanctimonious prick nowadays and needs to come to grips with the fact that he was pretty much just as much to blame for their "feud" as Johnny was, and if he really wants to honor Mr Miyagi he'll need to make things right with Johnny, and maybe even help Johnny get back on his feet.

I love that one of the later episodes was basically a version of that video!
(07-01-2018, 07:01 PM)Nooj Wrote: About II...

I actually know the guy that played Chozen!  He owns a restaurant in Seattle!
Next time you see him, please tell him he was great in AMERICAN YAKUZA and ALOHA SUMMER.  Oh, and BETTER OFF DEAD.
I'd actually love to see him and Tamlyn Tomita make a guest appearance in a future season/episode.  Maybe do a bastardized spin on KK2 by having Daniel having knocked up Kumiko during his Okinawa trip and Chozen stayed w/ her and raised the kid as his own.  That going off to Tokyo to join the dance troupe was just a ruse to let him off the hook.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I ... I can't believe this exists.

I have watched the first few episodes and I'm still having trouble accepting it.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I know! I didn't love the trailer because I thought they were going full comedy because really how do you do this show? But they did it pretty perfectly.
I love that the show is clearly aware at how silly all of this is and plays specific things for comedy and satirical jabs without ever really diminishing how much all of this stuff means to the characters.

That moment with Daniel kicking the boba is both funny, satisfying, really stupid and petty... without betraying how much it means to the character.

And the kick just looks so funny!