Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, NO MERCY: 'COBRA KAI' THE SERIES
(07-03-2018, 02:00 AM)Nooj Wrote: I love that the show is clearly aware at how silly all of this is and plays specific things for comedy and satirical jabs without ever really diminishing how much all of this stuff means to the characters.

That moment with Daniel kicking the boba is both funny, satisfying, really stupid and petty... without betraying how much it means to the character.

And the kick just looks so funny!

Well yeah I wasn't saying that the show isn't funny, it's very funny. Im saying that it isn't a full comedy of itself like 21 Jump Street.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
QUIET!!!!

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

(I wasn't contradicting you.  I wanted to add to your praise for the show for its balance of satire, humor, and drama)
I'm watching Karate Kid III

what an odd movie!!
(07-05-2018, 05:33 AM)Nooj Wrote: I'm watching Karate Kid III

what an odd movie!!

Yes! You are watching greatness now and I envy you.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
that's some delicious circuitous villainy right there
(07-05-2018, 06:20 AM)Nooj Wrote: that's some delicious circuitous villainy right there

He is literally taking a call about dumping toxic waste in the ocean when we first meet him. Fun fact: younger than the karate kid.
that's crazy!!
Terry Silver is the greatest. Mark Gor level of loyalty & devotion.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Fun Fact 2: Teen Witch never became his love interest in the movie because Karate Kid has just gotten married. How weird and sweet!
FASCINATING!!

she really just kinda disappears from the movie!

I mean, they set it up early on... but how weird and sweet indeed!

And it turns out she's half-sisters with Blake Lively!
(07-05-2018, 02:30 PM)Nooj Wrote: FASCINATING!!

Yeah, she "moves back to Ohio" before the big tournament.

That whole Bonsai tree sublot goes nowhere either. It just exists for the villains to intimidate Daniel.
That's true! She was also in Twin Peaks briefly.

Im just glad you now know why Terry Silver and Mike Barnes were banned from the karate tournament in the Cobra Kai tv show. There is rumor that Mike Barnes is coming to the tv show. If there was ever a show designed for me specifically.

(07-05-2018, 02:52 PM)ravi Wrote:

That whole Bonsai Tree sublot goes nowhere either. It just exists for the villains to intimidate Daniel.

You don't think a Bonsai tree store was a good investment?
(07-05-2018, 02:52 PM)ravi Wrote:

That whole Bonsai Tree sublot goes nowhere either. It just exists for the villains to intimidate Daniel.

I liked that the show went as far as to address the poor business advice Daniel thrust upon Miyagi with the bonsai tree shop.
(07-05-2018, 02:53 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: Im just glad you now know why Terry Silver and Mike Barnes were banned from the karate tournament in the Cobra Kai tv show. 

wait... does III ever actually say anything about them getting banned because of what happened in the movie?

because the movie just ends with Daniel victorious
No, but there’s a whole subplot about his Cobra Kai is “banned for life” from the annual tri-county karate tournament in the new YouTube show.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I'm aware of that.

But waaaaaaaalt just told me that he's glad that I saw III because now I know why they were banned. And I don't think the movie addressed that in any way.

I could've just watched the first movie and assumed that Cobra Kai was banned after that.
(07-05-2018, 03:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: But waaaaaaaalt just told me that he's glad that I saw III because now I know why they were banned.  And I don't think the movie addressed that in any way.

I could've just watched the first movie and assumed that Cobra Kai was banned after that.

They reference Terry Silver and Mike Barnes's involvement in the tournament from KK3 when Johnny Lawrence goes to meet with the karate board.

It's funny because I never understood how Daniel even wins in the finale of 3. He does a goofy dance which confuses Barnes?
ohhhhhhhh!

Daniel wins because his spirit was supposed to be broken by the time they got to sudden death!

But then he does an erotic fan dance and gets the winning point!

YAY FOR RULES!!!
(07-05-2018, 03:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: I'm aware of that.

But waaaaaaaalt just told me that he's glad that I saw III because now I know why they were banned. And I don't think the movie addressed that in any way.

Well no I mean in the tv show they mention Terry and Mike Barnes specifically are the only 2 to ever be banned along with the Cobra Kai name. Those 2 characters are only in the 3rd movie, not in the first. So.....now you know why they were banned!
Very curious to see how the second season will juggle the potential reincorporation of these other characters

I can see it easily straining the fine balance I thought season 1 struck and becoming as goofy as we initially thought this show would be
(07-05-2018, 03:16 PM)Nooj Wrote: Very curious to see how the second season will juggle the potential reincorporation of these other characters

I can see it easily straining the fine balance I thought season 1 struck and becoming as goofy as we initially thought this show would be

Yeah. The show ends with Daniel starting his own dojo. I mean clearly Johhny is going to struggle with Kreese and all but I would hope it isn't him all out rejecting the dojo that he resurrected.
Johnny got closure on his stepfather figure

now he has to face his other father figure... and that's going to make him regress again!
You mean he's relapsing from the lesson he previously learned?! Christ, they better not cast Laura Dern in this.
was Laura Dern in a karate kid???
In spirit. She was the presence residing over Miyagi's decision to teach Daniel a lesson while not actually letting him in on the plan. Should nerds realize this, they will retroactively begin to protest The Karate Kid, so keep it on the low-low.
heheheh

SEASON 2
THE NEW MIYAGI-DO

THE FIRST ORDE-- I mean, COBRA KAI REIGNS...
Actually I hope Daniel gets dragged down even farther. There just has to be another fight between them right? Or do they keep putting that off? They said they have like a 5 season plan which seems excessive really.
FIVE SEASONS???

oh god...

DON'T PUSH YOUR LUCK!!!
Christ 2 would probably do it to be honest. Maybe 3.
yeah

2 would be great

3, tops
Finished watching this earlier today and I can say with all confidence that it's better than any of the original movies. It's fun, has an appealing cast, doesn't overdo it with the easter eggs and is surprisingly nuanced. Daniel and Johnny's relationship reminds me very much of Saul and Chuck's relationship on BCS. Sure,Daniel is the killjoy who's trying to hold the protagonist back, but he also knows exactly how toxic Johnny can be, and Johnny keeps proving him right.

EDIT: Also, Zabka needs to be in more comedies. Dude has some killer comedic timing.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
QUIET!!!!
His ripping on the poor kid with the lip scar had me in stitches.

"If you don't want me to call you Lip, then don't have a weird lip!"
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!