Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHAZAM! (2019) Pre-Release Thread
(07-21-2018, 06:40 PM)bradito Wrote: This was the one DC flick that I was indifferent about because it's Shazam, but the trailer has sold me.

Good work, trailer!

Same for me....kinda?

I mean, it looks fun! Fun enough that based on that trailer alone, I'd watch it....

...when it hits HBO or my local library. Still not something I'd be up for paying $12 or more to see in the theater.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The clunky MK vs DC game warmed me to him, though the cape remains goofy.
Looks like they may have split the difference between the CC Beck design cape, and that hood thing they put the character in a couple years back? I'd just as soon they stuck with that off-center cape Captain Marvel had originally-- it was distinctive.

I only now learned that Djmon Hounsou is playing the wizard Shazam. So that guy is acting in both Captain Marvel movies next year. I hope that will be some nerd trivia question 20 years from now that I will totally nail.

My older brother has a Tom Hanks-in -"Big" complaint-- in that Levi seems to playing more "kid-like" than his actual kid counterpart. I didn't see it that way, but I do wonder if they should have gone younger with Billy Batson. If they make sequels to this thing, that kid looks like he may be approaching adulthood by the time they come out.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
...you guys think that looks good?

Okay, I guess.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
(07-21-2018, 11:04 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 06:40 PM)bradito Wrote: This was the one DC flick that I was indifferent about because it's Shazam, but the trailer has sold me.

Good work, trailer!

Same for me....kinda?

I mean, it looks fun! Fun enough that based on that trailer alone, I'd watch it....

...when it hits HBO or my local library. Still not something I'd be up for paying $12 or more to see in the theater.

$12 for a movie ticket?! When was the last time you went to the movies? During the Bush Administration?
(07-22-2018, 01:16 AM)bradito Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 11:04 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

Good work, trailer!

Same for me....kinda?

$12 for a movie ticket?! When was the last time you went to the movies? During the Bush Administration?

Not eveybody lives in The People's Republic of California , Brad. Smile
But the weather is so nice.
Hey, I'm in CA, and on Tuesdays a ticket to the newest movie on the biggest screen with reserved seating is $8.50.

I still usually stream em, but the reserved seating gets me now and then. Waiting-in-line-me was such a chump!
Gamertag: Tweakee
$15 in nyc.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I like Zachary Levi, and this looks fun, but it's not the kind of movie I'd rush to see in the theatre.

"Jesus Christ! You've got some problems! First the balls, now my death!" - Daniel Craig

Who goes to the movies on Tuesdays?

Weirdos, that's who!
Not everyone is made of money Mr. Sexy new job.

Besides, cheap ticket Tuesdays is an excellent way to go see movies that you want to see enough to go out, but not enough to pay full price.
But then you have to see a movie with a bunch of mofos who wouldn't shell out full price to see a movie.
Shaming people for cheap movie night is one degree away from shaming James Gunn out of a job for old tweets. It's a slippery slope!
(07-22-2018, 03:02 AM)bradito Wrote: Who goes to the movies on Tuesdays?

Weirdos, that's who!

It's the same movie!
Hey, I go to the movies whenever the babysitter is available.

Or Sunday afternoon with MichaelM.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I watched the trailer again and it’s won me over. I like how low key this movie seems to be, even though the trailer doesn’t really show why Billy Batson is any more worthy of being Captain Marvel than any other foster kid, but I digress.

Levi looks like he’s having fun playing the role and the most of the jokes seem to land, especially the phone charging one. I’m still getting the Big vibe I mentioned earlier, but I think it’s working in this one’s favour.

That other DC movie looks absolutely awful.

Eight bucks in NYC at AMC if you go before 11.
home taping is killing music
I only see movies on discount Sundays or Tuesdays anymore, unless family or friends really want to see one on any other day. $12.50 for IMAX is better than $20.75. Discount concessions too. Two dollar hotdogs! Three dollar small popcorn instead of $6.75 small popcorn!
Git' in under mah belly!
I went to the Planet of the Apes triple feature they did when the third movie came out, and they did $1 hot dogs and 1/2 price bottomless popcorn.

If they did events like that more often, I'd leave the house!
I work evenings and weekends, so a 6 dollar discount Tuesday matinee is my jam, either on my day off or before work. Plus the occasional free popcorn or soda with your club card.
I like early morning shows during the week. I worked at movie theaters for 15+ years. I've had enough experience with crowds.
(07-22-2018, 10:26 AM)cd underbelly Wrote: I only see movies on discount Sundays or Tuesdays

While I don't do this exclusively, Sunday morning's become my favorite time to see films in the theater - easier to reserve a seat, ticket is cheaper.

Some films - like Infinity War - I still like to see with a big crowd close to opening, though.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Hah, the cost of tickets. Get that Moviepass! Quick, before it's gone!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-22-2018, 11:32 AM)JMurdoch Wrote: I like early morning shows during the week.  I worked at movie theaters for 15+ years.  I've had enough experience with crowds.

Yeah, but if you're going to see a DC movie, you don't have to worry about crowds.
I like the tonal/writing approach and the cast looks like they are having a hell of a fun time, which is infectious.

That said, aside from the FX (which are fine), on a technical/design/phototography level this looks sub-Netflix movie. It looks like a CW TV show, and not a particularly well-done one. It makes Spiderman Friggin' Homecoming look like a work of true directorial vision.

Just because it's supposed to be a fun, light-hearted romp doesn't mean the aesthetic has to be by-the-numbers, low-key, uninspired ass.

Despite all of that, I will definitely check this one out at some point (but yeah, nothing in the trailer makes me think that I need to spend a movie ticket on it. This will play just fine at home).
the empire never ended
God, FX talk is going to supplant "the editing" as the thing that makes me roll my eyes during conversations about a new trailer.
Didn't they also just finish filming a week or two ago?

This is probably all the footage that's viewable at this time.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
(07-22-2018, 01:33 PM)bradito Wrote: God, FX talk is going to supplant "the editing" as the thing that makes me roll my eyes during conversations about a new trailer.

but I am not talking about the FX (which I said were fine).

I'm talking about how this thing looks about as cinematic as a TV pilot.

Just really doesn't do anything to make me want to spend the extra money to see it on the big screen. I'll pick it up from my library or stream that shit.
the empire never ended
This isn't a TV pilot?

STINK!

Don't skimp on this with a mere feature film DC, I demand a half hour of this every week for 22 episodes!!!
I saw the "Inhumans" TV pilot in IMAX because they filmed a TV pilot in IMAX for some reason. It looked like a TV pilot. In IMAX.
You'd never see DC try to pull a stunt like that.
I think this looks like a ton of fun, minus the inflated muscle suit. In hope they learned from the spiderman 2 train scene... dont have anyone touch the muscles in an extreme close up.
The trailer made me smile, so odds are I will see it. Movie tickets are $10.49 out my way.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(07-22-2018, 01:33 PM)bradito Wrote: God, FX talk is going to supplant "the editing" as the thing that makes me roll my eyes during conversations about a new trailer.

But hows that color correction look?  And I can’t wait to hear about the score!

-Grumpy
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.