Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MARY POPPINS RETURNS Pre-Release Thread
To second what Bart says, Mary Poppins is one of those pieces of Disneyana that has remained exceptionally popular over the years, and has become a staple of a lot of people's Disney diet - even more so than some of the animated features. Like Star Wars, it hits the grandparents-parents-kids-grandkids quadrant that's crucial for the holidays.

Also, it has Lin-Manuel Miranda in it, who is not a Box Office Draw per se but is also CRAZY good at getting people interested in material. There's a reason they put him front and center for a lot of the MOANA stuff.
home taping is killing music
I don't know what to think about this because I never imagined I'd want to do sexy time with Mary Poppins.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Bear in mind, I've never seen MARY POPPINS so I honestly don't have any sort of emotional connection to the overall material. I have nothing really against it, but the film was always thrust on me like it was mandatory to love it or burn in the fires of hell, so I've always kinda avoided it. This is my MichaelM film, I guess.
(07-12-2018, 11:16 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: This is my MichaelM film, I guess.

"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(07-12-2018, 11:06 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I don't know what to think about this because I never imagined I'd want to do sexy time with Mary Poppins.

[Image: tumblr_o0o416I9NA1uze870o1_500.gif]
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
[Image: ysm.gif]

(07-12-2018, 10:50 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I think you guys are severely underestimating Mary Poppins Returns. Ladies in particular LOVE Mary Poppins. It's never been forgotten in the public consciousness (and neither has Julie Andrews, who is beloved in a certain 20s-30s generation because of the Princess Diaries movies), has had a popular Broadway show and interest was reignited by Saving Mr. Banks.

It's going to make Beauty and the Beast bank. It's gonna be HUGE.

I'll take the under.  Then again, I'm not exactly the target demographic (I'm not sure who is ...).
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(07-12-2018, 02:48 PM)Overlord Wrote: I'm not exactly the target demographic (I'm not sure who is ...).

Same people who made Beauty & the Beast a huge hit.

(07-12-2018, 02:52 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 02:48 PM)Overlord Wrote: I'm not exactly the target demographic (I'm not sure who is ...).

Gen X'ers and older Millennials are hugely nostalgic for the Disney animation revival movies.  

Mary Poppins?  I don't remember it really being part of the zeitgeist of the era.
Gen X'ers and older Millennials weren't the only people who saw Beauty and the Beast 2017.

Something can fall in and out of the zeitgeist and remain incredibly popular. Poppins has been a staple for a lot of people for almost 55 years at this point, moreso even then some of the "classic" Disney movies like Cinderella, Dumbo, et al. As Bart and others have pointed out, it comes and goes, but it's always been a perennial classic. The music routinely plays at the parks. I think there's affection for those characters and they're clearly feeling confident about it.

The thing with these movies is that people don't really remember them en toto, but they remember sequences. Poppins is no exception, and it has the added benefit of musical numbers. But there's "Spoonful," "Supercalfragilistic," "Step in Time," "Chim Chim Cherie," all of which are well-known numbers/sequences.

Long story short, I guarantee you the people who made Jungle Book a huge hit probably remembered "I Wanna Be Like You" from the original and not much else. I expect the same to be the case here.

Finally, this last page or so of the thread is a great example of how the boards can be kind of skewed. Lot of skepticism, and an almost bewilderment that anything designed to appeal to women and kids could be successful. Remember how in the Ocean's Eight thread, people were baffled that the Met Ball was playing such a huge part? Same thing.

I love you guys, but to quote Nick from back in the day - "you are not the target demo."
That's because you're old and evil and out of touch.

Poppins is huge. YUUUUGE. Trust us.
MARY POPPINS is the best film released by Disney. In any medium. Ever.

So count me among those who think RETURNS is going to be big.

(07-12-2018, 03:07 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Finally, this last page or so of the thread is a great example of how the boards can be kind of skewed. Lot of skepticism, and an almost bewilderment that anything designed to appeal to women and kids could be successful. Remember how in the Ocean's Eight thread, people were baffled that the Met Ball was playing such a huge part? Same thing.

I love you guys, but to quote Nick from back in the day - "you are not the target demo."

I was one of those "Wait, the Met Gala is actually a big enough deal to build a caper around?" people, and I'll own that (and also admit that I thought it worked completely fine in the movie), so I'll wade in here and simply say that I think you're slightly exaggerating the skew of POPPINS' appeal. In my experience, it's not purely a "women and kids" thing at all; I think it's actually much more broad than that.

Of course, the box office will tell the tale about how right I am or not!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Oh, I don't doubt that Poppins has incredibly broad appeal. I was just pointing out that it does seem, on its surface, like a thing for women and kids that might not necessarily appeal to this board's demo.
I may well be wrong, as God knows I've been hearing what a monster hit this movie will be for what feels like a year and a half or so, but I don't know if I agree that it will work in the way Jungle Book or Beauty and the Beast did. I just think it might be more Maleficent sized. Or Christopher Robin sized, perhaps.

If they weren't both Disney properties, I bet they would have slipped Solo to this date. It would have done better. That, I suppose, is one of the limitations of the Disney hegemony.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Solo deserved what it got don't ever think any different.
While there is certainly a cross-generation/quad appeal for Mary Poppins, Saving Mr. Banks under-performed against expectations. And that played heavily on nostalgia for both Poppins and the Disney brand (with Tom Hanks, of all people, as Disney himself) back in December '13.

That is why I'm holding back on declaring Mary Poppins Returns as this Christmas' big winner.

The real ending to Big...
(07-12-2018, 09:57 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: While there is certainly a cross-generation/quad appeal for Mary Poppins, Saving Mr. Banks under-performed against expectations. And that played heavily on nostalgia for both Poppins and the Disney brand (with Tom Hanks, of all people, as Disney himself) back in December '13.

That is why I'm holding back on declaring Mary Poppins Returns as this Christmas' big winner.

Agreed.
I mean, there's a big difference BO wise between say The Lion King and a movie about the guys who dreamt up the Lion King getting The Lion King made. I don't think the Banks thing is fair to put on this movie.
Also, Hanks is beloved but hasn't been the guaranteed ticket seller for some time now.

He teamed with The Beard for BRIDGE OF SPIES (and was phenomenal in it) but it felt like NO ONE saw that.

Comparing Saving Mr. Banks to Mary Poppins Returns is like saying last year's Goodbye Christopher Robin (the Domhnall Gleeson vehicle about AA Milne writing Winnie the Pooh) is an indicator of how this year's Christopher Robin will do.

I only brought up Saving Mr. Banks to indicate it's a story predicated on familiarity with Mary Poppins, because people are still very familiar with it.

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Neither is Mary Poppins though. The Broadway show didn’t last that long, relative to Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast.

Saving Mr Banks would always be a much smaller film, but it could serve as a bellwether. And I’m not saying it’ll flop, by any means.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-13-2018, 08:09 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Neither is Mary Poppins though. The Broadway show didn’t last that long, relative to Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast.

Saving Mr Banks would always be a much smaller film, but it could serve as a bellwether. And I’m not saying it’ll flop, by any means.

I declare on this day, Friday, July 13, 2018, that Mary Poppins Returns makes at least a billion worldwide.

Hanks' last efforts:

THE POST - 177 million worldwide against a 50 million budget
THE CIRCLE - 20 million against an 18 million budget (indie)
INFERNO - 220 million world wide against a 75 million budget
A HOLOGRAM FOR THE KING - 8 million - no budget available (indie)
SULLY - 125 million domestic, 240 worldwide against a 60 million budget
BRIDGE OF SPIES - 72 million domestic, 165 worldwide against a 40 million budget.

I'd say, like Cruise, Hanks is in that place where a lot of his appeal comes from his ability to still make money overseas. But even something like SULLY can still put points on the board.
Yep. He's solid, just not the boffo ticket seller he used to be.

Most of those are presumably decent returns on investment. And Hanks has admirably transitioned to smarter, more adult roles. But citing Saving Mr Banks failure to set the world on fire is hardly indicative that an actual Poppins movie won't do very well.

(07-13-2018, 08:09 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Neither is Mary Poppins though. The Broadway show didn’t last that long, relative to Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast.

1. The show played on Broadway for almost seven years - from 2006 to 2013. Aladdin has played for four at this point, and while Beauty and the Beast played for 13 and Lion King has played for 20, seven years is nothing to sneeze at. That's about as long as Hairspray, Avenue Q, The Producers, and the OG Annie played. If Disney has a flop of its musicals, it's Little Mermaid (the one with Tituss Burgess as Sebastian), which only played for two years and wasn't critically well received. Newsies also played about two years, but was better regarded. (FROZEN: THE MUSICAL is excellent, and will probably play long as well.)

2. That's after Poppins did four years in London and it also toured nationally for about four, as well as mounting numerous productions internationally. And that's not even getting into the secondary licensing market, which:

3. My wife works for the company that represents the Disney shows on the secondary licensing market, and Poppins is frequently mounted by high schools and community theaters. It is very, very popular. The musical makes a lot of money that way, and a good way to tell is that there's also a "junior" (a shorter, less complicated version) edition of the musical. Those junior productions require all new arrangements, scripts, and materials, and that's not the kind of thing you'd invest in if there wasn't a market for it. It does very well, which means that Poppins has continued to be part of the public consciousness, if not the "zeitgeist."

Finally, since we like talking numbers, Rob Marshall's last movie was INTO THE WOODS for Disney, which is deeply flawed but made 128 mil domestic/200 mill worldwide against a 50 million dollar budget. And that, like Poppins, was a challenging property to adapt, and Emily Blunt was by far one of the best things in it, which points to her working well with Marshall.

Honestly, I don't mean to keep harping on this, but there are a lot of markers that point to this movie's cross generational appeal that are being ignored or not talked about, and I'm not entirely sure why that is.
(07-12-2018, 02:52 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

The people that made Beauty & the Beast a huge hit are probably people that were between the ages of 3 and 10 in '91, along with any yet to be born siblings they had if they had it on VHS. Marry Poppin's demo is more like those kid's moms. And those kid's moms were probably also the audience for Beauty & the Beast too.

This movie's demographic is probably more like the demo for last years Murder on the Orient Express than Beauty & the Beast.

(07-13-2018, 08:09 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Comparing Saving Mr. Banks to Mary Poppins Returns is like saying last year's Goodbye Christopher Robin (the Domhnall Gleeson vehicle about AA Milne writing Winnie the Pooh) is an indicator of how this year's Christopher Robin will do.

I only brought up Saving Mr. Banks to indicate it's a story predicated on familiarity with Mary Poppins, because people are still very familiar with it.

But nobody really saw Saving Mr. Banks, and you brought it up saying it'd reignited interest in Marry Poppins. While a good movie, I doubt it did much of anything to reignite interest in Marry Poppins beyond wherever interest for Marry Poppins already was at the time.
Go fuck yourself, Simbob.

Anecdotal, sure, but you would not believe the lines the Mary Poppins character gets in the Disney parks. And not just nostalgic middle aged moms; I saw young girls literally bouncing up and down with excitement waiting in line to see her.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
No, Richard! It's for women and girls! It can't possibly be a success. 

Anyway, because I'm a giant fucking nerd with no life, here are the numbers for the last five years of Disney's live action movies that aren't part of a franchise (so no Marvel or Pixar, nor stuff like Alice, Pirates, and the Muppets) organized by worldwide profit. Since SAVING MR. BANKS is the one that keeps being brought up, that's what I used as the marker. Numbers are from Box Office Mojo and don't include Prints and Advertising as part of their budget, I think.

Although I think you have to take into account Alice to an extent, because, as Bart points out, that's a similar point of comparison (a remake disguised as a sequel) and it did a billion dollars worldwide against a 200 million dollar budget. I've bolded anything that is a "Remake" or is part of pre-existing Disney IP (including Tomorrowland and Malificent)

The numbers bear out that Disney has done much better with live-action remakes of beloved classics in their back catalogue than they do trying to start new ones. And it's worth noting that of the four straight up remakes on Disney's done (Pete's, Cinderella, Jungle Book, Beauty), Beauty is the only one that is from the "Disney Renaissance" (1989-1999). All the others are from the same time period as Mary Poppins.

Also, holy lol, Finest Hours was a bomb.

boone, I think you have 6 too many zeroes for BatB. I'm with you otherwise. I also predicted that would be a huge hit, because it isn't just boys that want to remember being young and full of life.

My wife has a Dooney and Burke purse she bought at Disney a while back, festooned with Mary Poppins characters. Anecdotal, but I think MP Returns will be just fine, financially.
I'm not Avery.
Yeah, you're right - I was trying to figure out how to represent billions and added all 9 zeros rather than the first 3. Thanks.
Jeez, I’m sorry. Mary Poppins will destroy all box office records and ascend to its rightful position as God Emperor of all existence no later than February of 2019. I hope only that my transgression ms can be forgiven by then. Never again will I defy the Chudmind.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-13-2018, 03:17 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: Jeez, I’m sorry. Mary Poppins will destroy all box office records and ascend to its rightful position as God Emperor of all existence no later than February of 2019. I hope only that my transgression ms can be forgiven by then. Never again will I defy the Chudmind.

Only now, at the end, do you understand.
Only at the end.
I'm not Avery.
Oh, holy hell, no one is saying you're defying the CHUDmind, but this has always been a board that likes facts and numbers, which is why I pointed out that your argument regarding the Poppins musical wasn't supported by the facts around it.

Second, I thought I was pretty self-deprecating in my post about how I did the numbers because I was curious, not necessarily because I wanted to prove Arjen wrong. I was on BOM to look up Marshall's movies and Hanks's, so I wanted to see what Disney's track record was with these kinds of flicks.

You guys get really touchy about this kind of shit (i.e., when the obvious biases of this board and its members gets pointed out), which is weird because you have no problem telling other people to chill out or undercutting their arguments with jokes.