Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MARY POPPINS RETURNS Pre-Release Thread
Boone calling people touchy? That’s rich.

But no, you’re right. I’m mostly bitter that Mary Poppins ran so long on Broadway. I live and work right nearby the theater, and I would have said it ran three years tops. I’m getting old.

Mostly though, I regret getting into this at all. I have next to no passion for the box office prospects of Mary Poppins 2.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
To be fair, Arjen, I was surprised that it ran that long, too. And if makes you feel better, I was looking up those stats and was like "Christ, the first Alice was almost a decade ago. The first Disney Muppets was 2011. God, I'm old."
home taping is killing music
(07-13-2018, 08:54 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: Go fuck yourself, Simbob.

Ok, sure.
(07-13-2018, 10:11 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Anecdotal, sure, but you would not believe the lines the Mary Poppins character gets in the Disney parks. And not just nostalgic middle aged moms; I saw young girls literally bouncing up and down with excitement waiting in line to see her.

Oh man. I would hit on the Mary Poppins actor in character as Bert at a Disney park until security kicked me out.
(07-13-2018, 10:30 AM)boone daniels Wrote: No, Richard! It's for women and girls! It can't possibly be a success. 

Anyway, because I'm a giant fucking nerd with no life, here are the numbers for the last five years of Disney's live action movies that aren't part of a franchise (so no Marvel or Pixar, nor stuff like Alice, Pirates, and the Muppets) organized by worldwide profit. Since SAVING MR. BANKS is the one that keeps being brought up, that's what I used as the marker. Numbers are from Box Office Mojo and don't include Prints and Advertising as part of their budget, I think.

Although I think you have to take into account Alice to an extent, because, as Bart points out, that's a similar point of comparison (a remake disguised as a sequel) and it did a billion dollars worldwide against a 200 million dollar budget. I've bolded anything that is a "Remake" or is part of pre-existing Disney IP (including Tomorrowland and Malificent)

The numbers bear out that Disney has done much better with live-action remakes of beloved classics in their back catalogue than they do trying to start new ones. And it's worth noting that of the four straight up remakes on Disney's done (Pete's, Cinderella, Jungle Book, Beauty), Beauty is the only one that is from the "Disney Renaissance" (1989-1999). All the others are from the same time period as Mary Poppins.

Also, holy lol, Finest Hours was a bomb.

Those old cartoons were still big with the generation that were kids when the "Disney Renaissance" was happening. I think all three of those would have come out of the Disney Vault during the late '80s and 1990 too. Not to say kids didn't know what Marry Poppins was or anything, but I don't remember anyone my age back than being into Marry Poppins like they were a number of the old cartoons. Almost surprised they aren't doing a new Bedknobs and Broomsticks since that's the live action musical with animated segments that played on Disney Channel back then a lot.

Weirdly A Wrinkle in Time was also previously done by Disney already.
okurr.gif
This is gonna by huge. It's (the original) one of my faves and such a well crafted family flick. Music and performance and imagination on display. It IS one of the best Disney flicks made. Even if Mr Banks is unfairly judged in comparison to "too busy" mom.
just watched the new Mary Poppins trailer and it looks like yet another pedestrian nostalgia-rehash for Disney.

should have been titled THE POPPINS AWAKENS
the empire never ended
Here it is.

See?

THE POPPINS AWAKENS
the empire never ended
I'm not in favor because it looks, to me, like an extremely cynical cash-in on a known IP that's basically a regurgitation of the original story. (Trailer seems to clearly indicate Michael is now essentially his father and has to relearn the lesson of his youth.)

At the same time, I'm not the target audience, and if a generation of kids love it, I'm fine with that.

I'm sure it'll have a huge opening weekend. Whether it has legs is the real question, and that's going to depend on WOM and if it's actually any good.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This will make over $1 billion.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
This is gonna make so much fucking money.

It might make less money if the Tumblr crowd decides A STAR IS BORN is their GREATEST SHOWMAN for the year...

...but not much less.

Lin's accent is exactly what I expected, though.

The use of 2D animation is a nice touch. Was fully expecting them to do some contemporary Disney CGI stuff.
That looked pretty bad to me, though it’ll probably be fun to see Miranda singing and dancing with cartoons. Exactly like in the original.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I did like the 2D animation. That was a nice surprise.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

oh, it's rob marshall
It may be nostalgia-driven, but it’s a hoot to see Dick Van Dyke still hoofing it. And Blunt looks terrific. This is going to be enormous.

The worst moment of the trailer: “Directed by Rob Marshall”
Better start printing the money now.
I liked the first teaser, but now that we're seeing more of the film, it strikes me as looking curiously garish, like they're trying to make it almost too rich. And the fact that they're barely showcasing any of the new songs is a little concerning.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Disney is curiously afraid of advertising their live-action musicals as live-action musicals. There were similar rumblings over trailers for BATB and Into the Woods just in the last few years, IIRC.
(09-17-2018, 12:34 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: Disney is curiously afraid of advertising their live-action musicals as live-action musicals. There were similar rumblings over trailers for BATB and Into the Woods just in the last few years, IIRC.

In the case of BATB, I don't think the final product ended up being particularly well-sung (or at least well-sung without the aid of obvious manipulation), so I get why they wouldn't necessarily want to push that in marketing.

Here, though, we have a couple of people we know can sing well headlining this thing.

Also, new poster!
[Image: maryonesheet.jpg]
Aside from Blunt being a little too obviously Photoshopped-in there, I love this look.  Feels like a REAL throwback.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I was definitely intrigued by this being both a Julie Andrews and Emily Blunt fanboy. Trailer is flat as a pancake though, and I'm the one who finds Whishaw more luvvie and irritating than Eddie Redmayne.
MP2: Keep it Poppin'

Looks like a major rehash. And 2d animation is awesome but ALSO looks like reheated classic beats. I like Blunt...and wow Van Duke is back. ...I'll see it but with a side eye.
MP2: Nanny Boogaloo

MP2: Bloody Mary
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
No, nobody can be worse than Eddie Redmayne. No one.
(09-17-2018, 09:12 PM)superlaser Wrote: MP2: Bloody Mary

Somewhere, Zach Snyder just got a huge erection and has no idea why.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(09-17-2018, 10:44 PM)boone daniels Wrote: No, nobody can be worse than Eddie Redmayne. No one.

Sure they can. Cumbertwat for one.
Eh, not feeling it.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
How many movies do we need about characters who had fantastical adventures as children then growing up and having shitty lives until their old imaginary friend returns and teaches them to be a good dad?
I'm still avian.
more than ever
(09-18-2018, 04:03 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: How many movies do we need PER YEAR about characters who had fantastical adventures as children then growing up and having shitty lives until their old imaginary friend returns and teaches them to be a good dad?

slightly modified.
(09-18-2018, 04:03 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: How many movies do we need about characters who had fantastical adventures as children then growing up and having shitty lives until their old imaginary friend returns and teaches them to be a good dad?

Holy shit is this dead on.  Pooh was obnoxious with that shit.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(09-18-2018, 12:37 PM)Judas Booth Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 04:03 AM)thecooleravian Wrote: How many movies do we need PER YEAR about characters who had fantastical adventures as children then growing up and having shitty lives until their old imaginary friend returns and teaches them to be a good dad?

slightly modified.

Actually I was thinking that Drop Dead Fred should've done it for the entire subgenre. How many hundreds of millions of dollars has Disney spent now on essentially remaking that movie?
I'm still avian.
More pertinent is how much they’ve made of them. Probably a lot.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN