Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING Post-Release Discussion
So, what are you trying to say Avian? Did you like them movie or not?
Git' in under mah belly!
I never knew avian was such a fan of the first one!
It was no great shakes, but it was something. This is nothing.
I'm still avian.
it IS nothing! and it wallows in it

after the tepid attempt of the first movie to do a little too much SOMETHING for no actual effect, I was prepared to just enjoy nothing

I mean, if you have to resort to praising Clifton Collins Jr's non-character in order to knock this one down...

you really don't have to! this thing knocks itself down! nothing you said against the movie is wrong!

had the movie been super successful with tons of praise, I'd be more likely to knock this one around. but since it's generally being treated as the sequel nobody really asked for, I AM FREEEEEE TO ENJOY
Still better than ID:R though.
avian, did you ever do one for ID:R???
I think I might've just let that one knock itself down. It was interesting how The 'R turned into a kaiju movie at the end there. That was about it.
I'm still avian.
DISAPPOINTING!!!!
Looks like this isn't even going to break even. Consider this franchise dead.
don't cry for it!

it was ALREADY dead!
(04-16-2018, 03:42 AM)Felix Wrote: Looks like this isn't even going to break even. Consider this franchise dead.
I thought it already made back its budget in China?
It didn't do particularly great in China... especially considering how much Chinese involvement the movie had.

Looks like it made less than the first one did in China too.
Well, poop. I don't care at all about about ID:R setting up a sequel that nobody wants, but I want that sequel that this sets up. I'm somebody.
Git' in under mah belly!
I'm stunned that the sequel to a movie audiences didn't like very much tanked.
It tanked domestically. Almost doubled its budget worldwide. And only ~13 million less in China than the first one. It's not a disaster.
but also not something that's gonna get development on a sequel going immediately

and what the first movie managed to earn in china back in 2012 (I think?) isn't a striking number in 2018

I enjoyed the movie fine, but it's not too far off from a disaster in terms of overall perception, I think...
Maybe if they hadn't dropped it into an absolute maelstrom of fucking releases.

But, as we all know, movies can only be released from Nov. 20ish to December 31 or from March 1ish to July 31ish. All other months are verboten.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
[Image: PRU_OBARI_illustration-1.jpg]

Official Gundam collaboration poster.
And the movie's done good so far internationally, plus you have to add blu-ray and digital income.
We wont see a sequel inmediatly, but in time.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(04-16-2018, 09:49 PM)Fafhrd Wrote: It tanked domestically. Almost doubled its budget worldwide. And only ~13 million less in China than the first one. It's not a disaster.

The Chinese market has exploded since 2013. $100 million there is a disaster. It's vastly below Legendary's expectations.

(04-17-2018, 08:13 AM)ryoken Wrote: And the movie's done good so far internationally, plus you have to add blu-ray and digital income.
We wont see a sequel inmediatly, but in time.

Just so we're clear, the first PACIFIC RIM made $411m on a $190m budget and barely got a sequel - literally by the skin of its teeth because it made $111m in China when that was a huge number.

This has stalled out at $281m on a $150m budget, and you think they're going to spend money on a follow-up? Really?

I guess Ridley Scott really will get to make a sequel to ALIEN: COVENANT. After all, $240m on a $97m budget. Not a bomb, apparently!