Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Wish
I’m not exactly sure where to put this and decided that Misc-culture since this sub-forum seems to be a catch-all for everything not covered by any of the other sub-forums. Also I’m well aware this kind of online discussion has been done to death, but I’m in a philosophical mood.

I was thinking about the film Bruce Almighty today, specifically the part where Morgan Freeman as God gives Bruce his powers with the only restrictions that Bruce can’t tell anyone he has God’s powers and that Bruce cannot use those powers to mess with someone’s “free will”.

I began thinking about what I would do in those circumstances, but the number of changes that I’d make almost seems endless. In some ways it’s too big of a thing to contemplate. So I then asked myself a question, rather than endless small changes, if I was given one wish with the constraints that I couldn’t mess with anyone’s free will, that the wish could not be used to prove the existence of God/s, an afterlife (or non-existence of either one), and the wish would have deal with specifics instead of generalities then what would I wish for?

The free will constraint I feel is pretty self explanatory, the wish cannot change the mind or personalities of anyone and furthermore cannot force anyone to do something they would have never done on their own. 

The restriction around proving or disproving the existence of God or the afterlife is an extension of Bruce not being allowed to tell anyone he has God’s powers. I see it more or less as a restriction on not being able to definitively prove that one only one religion (or atheism) is true. 

The constraint about needing to be specific I added to prevent the boring generalties. It is commendable to wish for world peace, but doesn’t inspire discussion and anyway what specifically would need to be changed in the world without messing with someone’s mind or free will in order to achieve world peace?

As of right now I think I’d wish for an end to addiction. Drugs still work and people still can get high, but addiction (both mental and chemical) is no longer a thing. Not that I think that an end to all addiction would result in world peace, but I do think it would end a lot of criminal enterprises and stand to help a lot of people.

What would everyone else wish for given these constraints?
After reading this piece this morning:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/m...asculinity

could your addiction wish also eliminate our dependence on our collectively ingrained addiction to destructive masculinity, capitalism, and imperialism? They're all tied together.

It's basically a more specific version of the 'world peace' wish, I suppose...
(03-18-2018, 05:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: could your addiction wish also eliminate our dependence on our collectively ingrained addiction to destructive masculinity, capitalism, and imperialism?  They're all tied together.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I want to live in a world with destructive femininity. Mostly to test out if so many weapons are actually phallic. My personal theory is warfare would revolve around various elaborate and lengthy attempts to trap people in moist holes. If only Hillary won!
(03-19-2018, 01:16 AM)Munson Wrote: I want to live in a world with destructive femininity. 

Just enroll in any number of U.S. colleges.

http://www.instantrimshot.com
(03-19-2018, 12:26 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(03-18-2018, 05:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: could your addiction wish also eliminate our dependence on our collectively ingrained addiction to destructive masculinity, capitalism, and imperialism?  They're all tied together.

hahaha yes of course it would be overlord
Photo 
(03-19-2018, 02:13 AM)Nooj Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 12:26 AM)Overlord Wrote:

hahaha yes of course it would be overlord

Ah, who loves ya baby?
you're MY addiction!