Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1980s DRAFT: LEGACY (2017): Sign-Up and Discussion
I'll take suggestions for names we can call this sequel. Sign-up here.

As mentioned, in order to mix it up from the last time, you'll be drafting ten, count 'em ten! films over five days. 

SIGN-UPS END NOON, FRIDAY, MARCH 30TH, 2018

DRAFT WILL BEGIN MONDAY, APRIL 2ND, 2018. 

Rules for our newcomers: 

1. Each person will be assigned two timeslots. You can only draft in your timeslots, or if everyone in the timeslot immediately preceding yours has gone. 

2. When your timeslot comes, post the name of your film and the year in the appropriate thread. 

3. Once a film has been drafted, it can no longer be drafted by another player. 

4. If, for some reason, you miss a timeslot, you can make it up later in the day or draft. 

5. For this draft, films must be released between January 1st, 1980 and December 31st, 1989.

6. The U.S. theatrical release date supersedes any other. If a film never received a U.S. theatrical release during the 1980s, it is eligible as long as it was released internationally between 1/1/80 and 12/31/89. 

7. Director's cuts, theatrical restorations, revivals, and films shot prior to 1975 are ineligible.

8. Films are eligible only for the version that was released during the 1980s. Later director's cuts or definitive editions are not eligible. 

GOOD LUCK.

Players:

1. Boone
2. Judas
3. Dent
4. Bailey
5. Atom
6. Pither
7. Anakin
8. Hammerhead
9. Richard
10. Arjen
11. laser
12. banana grabber
13. Anya
14. Hunter
15. Murdoch
16. Ratty
17. Erix
18. Turing
19. Elvis
20. jhp
21. axel
22. simbob
23. Molt
24. Hypnotoad
home taping is killing music
80s DRAFT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
80s DRAFT 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN
80s DRAFT 2: THE QUICKENING
80s DRAFT 2: DIE HARDER
80s DRAFT 2: THE OTHER SIDE
80s DRAFT 2: THE POSSESSION
80s DRAFT 2: THEIR FIRST ASSIGNMENT
80s DRAFT 2: NERDS IN PARADISE
80s DRAFT 2: THE SPAWNING
80s DRAFT 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE
80s DRAFT 2: THE NEXT DAY

I'm in.
80S DRAFT: THE REVENGE
DRAFTING IN AMERICA: THE 80S DRAFT

In.
I got it. I'm in.
Can I draft M.A.S.K. toys?
Only if I can draft ROBOTECH toys. I'd love me a veritech.
In, and ready to sleaze my way to the top 80s-style!

[Image: giphy.gif]
First questions that I'd like to propose:

How do we feel about the "US only" rule? It's been brought to my attention that there are a number of films that are 80s classics that didn't get releases here until the 90s. Given that this is a new board, with a new start, I'm comfortable changing that rule to "first-run theatrical releases" or "films that were shot and released anywhere in the world between 1/1/80 and 12/31/89."

Additionally, I think we're all on board with the idea that they have to be released theatrically (i.e., no festivals), right?
I. AM. IN.
Someday, you’re going to fuck up so magnificently, so ambitiously, so overwhelmingly that the sky will light up and the moons will spin and the gods themselves will shit comets with glee.

PSN ID: anakinsdad

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

(in)

Although I do think that opening up the field to worldwide release makes the decade unnecessarily fuzzy round the edges. I for one enjoy working with the restrictions of only being able to draft the version available at the time, leaving out original-language versions, belated directors' cuts and restorations.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
That's why I said first-run theatrical or suggested shot/released in the 80s.

As an example, in 1989, there was a restored director's edition of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA that came out. Because that was shot in the 60s, it wouldn't count.
'80s DRAFT: LEGACY

Innity-in-in.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Mr. Gorbachev, tear this draft down! (In)
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I’m all in.
80s Draft 2: On the Move!

In.
I'm in
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Like, totally rad! I'm in.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
In like lines of cocaine on the dashboard of a DeLorean.
I'm in like insider trading.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
I'm thinking about modifying the rule to this:

"The U.S. theatrical release date supersedes any other. If a film never received a U.S. theatrical release during the 1980s, it is eligible as long as it was released internationally between 1/1/80 and 12/31/89.

Director's cuts, theatrical restorations, revivals, and films shot prior to 1975 are ineligible."

(The 1975 rule is to cover our bases with films that may have begun production early, a la the independent era, but not completed until the 1980s.)
Should also clarify that films from the 80s that later received director's cuts or restorations should only be draftable as the version that was actually seen in the 80s.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Yes... I shall participate. I think I did not take part the first time around. 

This should be fun.
The biggest dick I've ever seen......on a man.
--------------
Keep track of my reviews on Letterboxd - if you want.

Turing! Love! Draft!

In.
Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never draft faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Jimmy said I better start getting more personally involved in this draft or he's gonna stab me through the heart with a fuckin' pencil.

So, uh, I'm in.
Changed the name - thanks, Richard - and clarified the rules.
(03-22-2018, 11:40 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I'll take suggestions for names we can call this sequel. Sign-up here.

As mentioned

Hi,

Could you let me know where this is mentioned, so I can work out what this draft is about? I'm assuming you're drafting imaginary sequels to 80's movies but am not sure if I'm right.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
We discussed it in the "ideas for future drafts," but in the past, when we've done a decade draft, we've done five movies. This time, we're doing ten, or two slots a day.

A decade or genre draft is different than a casting draft in that you're drafting the films themselves - actual movies that came out. Some people just go for their favorites, others do a theme. But you're drafting the movies - and the creativity comes from deciding what movies to pick. It's a bit more nakedly competitive than the casting drafts.

As a reference, here's the first day of our 1970s draft:

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=159088
I've updated the first post with a list of participants. You have until Friday to sign-up!

This is gonna be good.
I'm iffy now. I can't seem to log in on my mobile, and this site is blocked on my work computer, so I'm a very tentative "maybe."
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
Fuck that, we've gotta have Ratty in on this.
Ratty, we can work something out where you PM me your picks, and then just post in the list/discussion thread at your leisure. Let's figure out a way to make this work.
Oh, this will be fun. I'm in.

I'm in.

Is this only theatrical releases, or is strange-to-video stuff also eligible?
(03-27-2018, 11:45 PM)simbob Wrote: Is this only theatrical releases, or is strange-to-video stuff also eligible?

Theatrical only, U.S. preferred, international ok.