Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE TERROR on AMC
Yeah, but they're all kind of dicks in that regard. Crozier has an entitlement complex up the ass and feels he's earned more respect than he gets without realizing his own failings and Fitzjames is a sycophantic sack of shit sans spine.

Pretty much the only morally puuuuure character here is Dr. Goodsir. {SPOILER}Which I guess could smooth the fact that everyone's dying regardless.{SPOILER}
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Code, you might want to spoiler text that. Not everyone's read the book or familiar with the historical expedition.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
But...they say so in the first episode don't they?

Tagged it in any case. I don't want to fight.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Oh, did they? I missed that! DOH!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(04-10-2018, 07:14 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I won't go that far but we'd basically just witnessed his pride overriding the welfare of the crew of two ships. His complete refusal to admit they were fucked and subsequent Victorian verbal thrashing of Crozier revealed him to be a dick of some magnitude.
(04-10-2018, 09:14 AM)Codename Wrote: Yeah, but they're all kind of dicks in that regard. Crozier has an entitlement complex up the ass and feels he's earned more respect than he gets without realizing his own failings

I think I have a more sympathetic reading of both these characters. Deeply flawed men, yes, but ultimately not without good intentions. Franklin is totally out of his depth (and not particularly cognizant of that fact), while Crozier - a more than competent sailor - is hampered by a somewhat inaccessible personality (though I'd also argue we're seeing a more forceful emergence of personality as conditions continue to deteriorate).
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I'm hoping for some kind of were-polar bear thing. Maybe it was something that was known by the old Eskimo dude that died and seeking revenge against the guys that killed him. Didn't they shoot that old dude by accident?

It does seem to know or want to protect the girl. I guess we'll see where it all goes in the end.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Loved that shot of the creature this week, out in the distance, in the fog, just a little bit out of focus. This is good stuff.

Although: I'm having a tough time with this sprawling cast of characters. Now that Franklin has, uh, stepped away, Crozier, Goodsir, and Edmure Tully are the only ones I can track from week to week with any real clarity.
There's also Hinky, the villain, and obviously Lady Silence. And Crozier has his lieutenant that is the ice expert and also speaks Inuit, but I couldn't tell you his name or if we've gotten any background on him.
Hickey.

Yeah, the show overall hasn't done a great job helping us learn the names of the secondary characters. I also think of Tobias M's character as Edmure Tully!

He’s still Brutus to me.
Don't forget ICEMASTER Thomas Blanky (played by Ian Hart)

[Image: TERROR_105_Thomas-Blanky-Ian-Hart-700x1000.jpg]
Quote:"I declare this chestburster an OUTLAAAAAAWW!"
What's the deal with his black gums, by the way? I'm too afraid to look it up.

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
I assume a combo of bad diet and incipient tissue death from the cold.

Scurvy, didn't they say?

What do I know Ian Hart from?
It could be scurvy, though none of the sites I did a quick peek at listed blackening gums as a symptom. (Tooth loss is, though.)

I think it's meant to be as ambiguous as the beast, for now...
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
(04-12-2018, 10:18 AM)schwartz Wrote: Scurvy, didn't they say?

What do I know Ian Hart from?

[Image: QuirinusQuirrell_WB_F1_QuirrellAndHarry_...jpg?w=1200]
Terrific setpiece on tonight’s episode.

They were really selling the damaging effects of the cold this week. There was a moment involving a hand coming in contact with a cannon that made me wince.

And Harris was just great in that last scene.
Haven't finished it (DVR, baby!) but the casual clipping of the frostbitten toes squicked me out.

(04-12-2018, 10:26 AM)MichaelM Wrote: It could be scurvy, though none of the sites I did a quick peek at listed blackening gums as a symptom. (Tooth loss is, though.)

The black gums, memory loss (he couldn't remember the verse of the song he was singing) and headache imply an oral infection that's traveled into the brain.
(04-16-2018, 10:04 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Haven't finished it (DVR, baby!) but the casual clipping of the frostbitten toes squicked me out.

Yes! It's done in such a nonchalant, "this is what happens" fashion.
(04-16-2018, 10:04 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Haven't finished it (DVR, baby!) but the casual clipping of the frostbitten toes squicked me out.

I like to think I have a strong stomach for things like this but FUCK if that scene didn't make me look away.

Loved the look you finally get of the creature. The way it looks like a Polar Bear with slightly...human features? Just creeps me the fuck out.

Also gotta love the Ice Master Blanky for his massive, massive balls. Going toe to toe with the creature, SURVIVING and then delivering an eloquent speech about said encounter before taking a shot and going "right, time to lose the leg" was just...fuck, the balls on that guy.
(04-17-2018, 04:08 AM)Codename Wrote: Also gotta love the Ice Master Blanky for his massive, massive balls. Going toe to toe with the creature, SURVIVING and then delivering an eloquent speech about said encounter before taking a shot and going "right, time to lose the leg" was just...fuck, the balls on that guy.

Heh. Last week, my only major gripe was that so few of these characters are able to make a lasting impression with me, given the sprawling cast and the fact that these guys only get a handful of scenes, and for half those scenes, they are buried under coats and scarves and hats.

I'll be remembering Blankly from here on out. That was awesome.

Curious to see how Crozier's rehab goes. Addiction / withdrawal tends to be a trope that gets overplayed, but I am endlessly fascinated by this particular scenario.
(04-17-2018, 04:08 AM)Codename Wrote: Loved the look you finally get of the creature.

It's still not quite what I wanted, but it's satisfactory enough for me.
(04-17-2018, 04:08 AM)Codename Wrote: Also gotta love the Ice Master Blanky for his massive, massive balls. Going toe to toe with the creature, SURVIVING and then delivering an eloquent speech about said encounter before taking a shot and going "right, time to lose the leg" was just...fuck, the balls on that guy.

Agreed!

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

(04-12-2018, 08:54 AM)MrSaxon Wrote: What's the deal with his black gums, by the way? I'm too afraid to look it up.

Lead poisoning, I believe. They used lead to seal the cans of preserves and it had absorbed into the food.
Terrific episode tonight, and an excellent adaptation/re-interpretation of one of the novel’s most vivid events.

The production design and cinematography were particularly strong this week, and the business with Lady Silence was especially unnerving.
I’m not gonna lie, I am disappointed that the creature isn’t more otherworldly, and frankly the attack scenes leading up to the big one last week sort of underplayed its menace, but then again the climax of the latest episode is the most nightmarish the show’s been so far and the bear had nothing to do with it. Overall the show is still going strong as far as I’m concerned, but what’s driving the horror for me is the increasingly bleak problems of dwindling resources and deteriorating physical and mental health of the crew. Normally I’d be more invested in the supernatural horror than the more grounded survival story but the mood and setting are so ominous and eerie it works for me, and if they go forward with the plan to march toward safety I could see the creature becoming a much more pressing threat.
I think for once this being a weekly show is working against itself. I think the building, relentless sense of desperation and dread would be more effective and weirdly more tolerable to a viewer if absorbed in a few sessions rather than stretched out over ten weeks.

I also think this should have been six, maybe eight episodes at most.

And yeah, needs more man-faced bear-demon.

Didn't love the bear's face (I'ma call him Doug, because he looked like a Doug), but the rest of the episode was great. Agree that the environment is the real monster. And the misdirect of thinking the visibly cracking crewman was going to wreak havoc at the carnival, and then maybe Hickey, was nicely done.
The look of the monster is growing on me, but yeah... it's more bear-like than it arguably should be, especially since in the passage of the novel where it is first described at any length, the crewman describing it is adamant that it is not a bear, but something more inexplicable.  The facial design of the creature on this week's episode feels like an attempt to move in that direction.
Saw the latest episode earlier via AMC's on demand service. This show is great, but it really is bleak as hell. The Tuunbaq seems to be the least of the worries of the two crews. Lead poisoning from the canned goods which are really their only source of food for the trek to the fort, the carnival turning into a raging inferno and the loss of manpower. Weasely Hickey scheming. To say things are going downhill would be an understatement.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

So . . . why did the doctor do that? Did the knowledge of the tins problem push him over, or did the knowledge that he missed that push him over?
I believe so. I really need to watch his previous scene again, as there's probably a lot of information I missed on initial viewing.

Good to see Jared Harris has been nominated for an Emmy for this, but I think Ciaran Hinds maybe deserves his Supporting Actor nod more. He added a lot despite his time on the show being quite brief.

(04-26-2018, 02:24 AM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Did the knowledge of the tins problem push him over

I'd say this.